The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Better Names

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
There is a list of names that must be turned into LBT Materials (and I need help to do that):
  • Hail
  • Lahar
  • Pyroclastic flow = Burning Smoke
  • Head Injury (The reason is in this video)
  • Traitor
  • Base or Base Camp
  • Para-Sailing or Para-Gliding
  • Air Strike
  • Lake Water that's been turned into Acid by Volcanic Activity (The reason is in this video)
  • Tropical Cyclone

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Hail may be called hard sky water.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Hail-Sky Ice (inspired by sky water, replacing water with ice)
Lahar-Smoke Mud (referring to the fact that this type of disaster originates from a "smoking mountain" as the LBT world calls them)
Pyroclastic flow-Fire Smoke (it looks like smoke, but it burns like fire)

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Apr 22 2009 on  10:22 PM
Hail-Sky Ice (inspired by sky water, replacing water with ice)
Lahar-Smoke Mud (referring to the fact that this type of disaster originates from a "smoking mountain" as the LBT world calls them)
Pyroclastic flow-Fire Smoke (it looks like smoke, but it burns like fire)
Thank you, DarkHououmon, I've always knew I could count on you for support. I'll keep updating if I get any word for which Natural Disaster should go where, OK.

P.S. Speaking of Sky Ice, "DarkHououmon" have you seen this post yet, because I want your opinion on it?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Hail might be called "sky stones" as well (seeing that they never actually used the term "ice" in LBT 8 as ice too seems to be a rare phenomena in the Great Valley). I could imagine that trying to understand what hail is they could think that perhaps that white stuff are pieces of (white) clouds. "Cloud gravel" could be a term.
With lahar and Pyroclastic flow both being related to volcanic eruptions I'm not sure they would make up special terms for those at all. Nobody in the way of a Pyroclastic flow could later on tell about how hot it is (though they could of course see the scorched landscape after the Pyroclastic flow passed through).

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Apr 23 2009 on  04:11 AM
Hail might be called "sky stones" as well (seeing that they never actually used the term "ice" in LBT 8 as ice too seems to be a rare phenomena in the Great Valley). I could imagine that trying to understand what hail is they could think that perhaps that white stuff are pieces of (white) clouds. "Cloud gravel" could be a term.
So do you think I should make a poll deciding what name should be used in the LBT (Series) instead of the name "Hail?"
Quote from: Malte279,Apr 23 2009 on  04:11 AM
With lahar and Pyroclastic flow both being related to volcanic eruptions I'm not sure they would make up special terms for those at all. Nobody in the way of a Pyroclastic flow could later on tell about how hot it is (though they could of course see the scorched landscape after the Pyroclastic flow passed through).
What are you saying?

P.S. Speaking of Cloud gravel, "Malte279" have you seen this post yet, because I want your opinion on it?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That thing that gets many folks mixed up is some words like sun, July, ect are used in songs, but not when the characters are talking outside of songs.  It is easy to mix the 2 together and think they do use terms like ice, July, ect.  As far as I remember they use hard water, not ice, for example.

Sky stones, maybe cloud stones, not sure if they'd have a special word like gravel or not.

Pyroclastic flow  they may call burning smoke, fire smoke or something like that.  In an episode of the tv series I recall Littlefoot calling a pool of lava bubbling fire.  I don't recall if that was during a song or regular conversation.  I'd have to get the dvd and look at the episode.

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
The list has been updated (new items are in bold).

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
So do you think I should make a poll deciding what name should be used in the LBT (Series) instead of the name "Hail?"
You can get opinions on words here, but it is basically your story to be written and therefore you are the one who should pick the term which you like best or which seems to make most sense to you. If they come in excess people may get a bit tired of participating in pols.
What are you saying?
That dinosaurs of LBT may not have any specific terms for lahar and pyroclastic flows (though I think that Kor's suggestion of "burning smoke" for pyroclastic flows makes much sense to me and I think this would probably be used if a pyroclastic flow needs to be described).
P.S. Speaking of Cloud gravel, "Malte279" have you seen this post yet, because I want your opinion on it?
Is that the thread for which you sent me the PM? I received a PM from you in which you asked for my opinion on a thread, but the PM did not include the link to the thread or the title of it. So I send you an email (I generally prefer emails over PMs) asking for the link but I did not get a response... never mind I just checked my newest mail and there it is ;)
I posted there.

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
One of them has a new name (completed ones are in italic).

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Head injury....I suppose you could say "head hurt", or "head lump". The "head" part is certainly okay, otherwise we wouldn't have phrases like "Flathead".

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Clawandfang,Apr 24 2009 on  04:51 PM
Head injury....I suppose you could say "head hurt", or "head lump". The "head" part is certainly okay, otherwise we wouldn't have phrases like "Flathead".
Wow you came up with 2 ideas for the replacement of the Head Injury phrase, I'm impressed. The reason why I added head Injury to the list is in this video here.

P.S. The list has been updated (new items are in bold).

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Head Injury - If there is any actual need for dinosaurs to refer to it in spoken word, couldn't they use just that term? Head injury.

Traitor - Depends on the nature of the treason. In LBT 7 Pterano was accused of lying. I suppose it really is a matter of what was actually done, but I reckon the word traitor may be known, though rarely needed, by LBT dinosaurs.

Camp or base camp - That would be extremely unlike LBT. It is perfectly usual for the dinosaurs to spend the night under open sky etc. They have their nests to refer to as a place where they would usually spend the night and if somehow the situation arose in which they had to refer to a place where they spend a night or so during a journey they might perhaps label it resting place. Camp or base camp are words which are distinctly no words which LBT dinosaurs would know or use.

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,May 12 2009 on  03:33 AM
Camp or base camp - That would be extremely unlike LBT. It is perfectly usual for the dinosaurs to spend the night under open sky etc. They have their nests to refer to as a place where they would usually spend the night and if somehow the situation arose in which they had to refer to a place where they spend a night or so during a journey they might perhaps label it resting place. Camp or base camp are words which are distinctly no words which LBT dinosaurs would know or use.
(In Bold) Then what is?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
It means that the dinosaurs wouldn't use the words camp or base camp.

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,May 12 2009 on  08:54 AM
It means that the dinosaurs wouldn't use the words camp or base camp.
Then what word would they use?

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I guess "resting place" or "sleeping place" would work.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
The list has been updated (new items are in bold).

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Para-Sailing and Para-Gliding are both so extremely human sports and concepts (both substantially and linguistically) that I don't think they would have any word for it at all.

JBJB1029

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Jun 3 2009 on  04:53 AM
Para-Sailing and Para-Gliding are both so extremely human sports and concepts (both substantially and linguistically) that I don't think they would have any word for it at all.
How about Dino-Soar?