The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Empty Places in the Nest

IHC · 6 · 1430

IHC

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Hi, Gang of Five Forums! I've been lurking around here for a little while, but since I finally wrote a Land Before Time fanfic, which I've been meaning to do for ages, I thought I'd make an account and share it here as well as on FF.net and AO3.

Zetaboards doesn't seem to like formatting on copy/pasted text, and it seems like other users are posting links as a substitute, so I'll just do that since it would take forever to manually chase down all the small bits of italicized text.

Fanfiction.net Link

ArchiveOfOurOwn Link

Summary: Littlefoot, Cera, Ducky, Petrie, and Spike have all reached the Great Valley and been reunited with their families. But none of the children can forget the loved ones who didn't arrive there with them, and for Littlefoot and Cera, it's hard to let go of the events of the journey. Set shortly after the end of The Land Before Time.

Rating/Content Warnings: This story is rated K+. There is some description of injury, but it's not really severe or graphic, and wouldn't be out of place in literature aimed at children.

I hope you guys enjoy it!

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It's nice to see another writer here. :) This story was rather well-written and your descriptions of the Gang's antics certainly were nicely thought out. I liked the banter about their journey and the slow build-up to the main drama of the story certainly paid out. Cera most likely has many misgivings about her role in that journey and the way she tried to hide her real problems seemed rather in-character.

It's more than probable that more than just few of the main characters had severe nightmares of the last days and that the tensions between Littlefoot and Cera wouldn't solve themselves instantly upon their arrival into the Valley. On one hand, I liked Cera's innocent question about Littlefoot's mother and his reaction to that but I have to wonder if she truly didn't know about her death (in canon that is). Se referred to her in a past tense in the lead-up to the duo's fight after all but your version worked just as well. My thoughts on the later part of the story are a bit mixed as I did enjoy the mutual reconciliation but I'm a bit skeptical about Cera's mental breakdown. Yes, her mother's loss was probably a terrible blow but I'm not sure this is the kind of reaction she'd have. The ending was nice though, as it's clear the Gang needed to get over the worst trauma of their losses.

While the premise of the Gang trying to get over a parent's death isn't exactly a new theme, your take on this issue was certainly a good one. The dialogue, situation building and the rather emotional drive in this fic were certainly nice even if I think there were some issues with characterization. Still, it's a solid first LBT fic and I hope we'll see more from you in the future! :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 12:17:25 PM by Sovereign »

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Whoa. After many-many-many month, I decided to read some LBT fanfiction...
And just wow - it was awesome time to read this short story!!!

I really enjoyed to see how general story and characters's thoughts and actions went.
Only thing - maybe there were extremely small gap between original movie and this story. And when each of character beside Littlefoot lost their relatives - I think some time should be passed before they gather and start to try to play like they did at the beginning of the story. I dunno, Cera and Petrie could be more depressed.
But maybe it's just for me.

Thank you very much for story!
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

IHC

• Ruby
    • View Profile
@Sovereign:

It's nice to see another writer here. :) This story was rather well-written and your descriptions of the Gang's antics certainly were nicely thought out. I liked the banter about their journey and the slow build-up to the main drama of the story certainly paid out. Cera most likely has many misgivings about her role in that journey and the way she tried to hide her real problems seemed rather in-character.

Thanks a lot! I'm glad you liked it!

It's more than probable that more than just few of the main characters had severe nightmares of the last days and that the tensions between Littlefoot and Cera wouldn't solve themselves instantly upon their arrival into the Valley.

On one hand, I liked Cera's innocent question about Littlefoot's mother and his reaction to that but I have to wonder if she truly didn't know about her death (in canon that is). Se referred to her in a past tense in the lead-up to the duo's fight after all but your version worked just as well.

Oh, that's right, I forgot to post the supplemental information. Yeah, on the one hand, she did use the past tense, and she really ought to have realized that Littlefoot's mother was on the same side of the divide as them. On the other hand, the "was" could have meant "she was a stupid longneck when she told you that." It's not really grammatically correct, but I've definitely heard and used phrases along the lines of "Well, whoever told you that was an idiot" without making any assumptions about their status. And, well, "ought to have known" isn't a standard that works very well with Cera. She has a tendency to tunnel-vision and not notice things she hasn't thought about the possibility of, and memory is often imperfect in a situation as terrifying as Sharptooth's attack anyway. The evidence in favor of her not knowing is that, well, Littlefoot's mom being on the same side of the divide was her only way of knowing. Rewatching the movie, I realized that not only does Littlefoot not mention her death to any of the others, but she wasn't actually present for any of the scenes like Littlefoot getting annoyed at Petrie for tearing the treestar. The last time Cera saw Littlefoot's mother, she was alive enough to be walking around, and even in our modern society I think someone bleeding to death from an injury that doesn't look like it would be fatal is something that would be on most little kids' radar.

My thoughts on the later part of the story are a bit mixed as I did enjoy the mutual reconciliation but I'm a bit skeptical about Cera's mental breakdown. Yes, her mother's loss was probably a terrible blow but I'm not sure this is the kind of reaction she'd have. The ending was nice though, as it's clear the Gang needed to get over the worst trauma of their losses.

Yeah, I was kind of unsure how far to take her breakdown. Characterization in situations that go far beyond what they've experienced in canon is hard, especially with characters who are so rarely honest about their emotions! But the limited material I had to work with, both from the original and the sequels, points to Cera being able to keep her emotions concealed up to a certain limit, but when things go far enough that she can't keep up the "tough girl" facade, it goes down hard. E.g. her reactions to Sharptooth and the Domeheads weren't any different from Littlefoot's. I'll admit I'm also working from personal experience that if your only way of dealing with negative emotions is repressing them, you won't "fail gracefully" as it were.

Cera taking out her feelings on inanimate objects is something I know she does. Early in Mysterious Island, when the herd finds the skeleton of a swimmer, Cera looks very uncomfortable, then she immediately goes and uproots a tree stump - which worked out a bit better that time. Her anger management advice to Ducky in The Big Freeze also involves kicking rocks - albeit safely. Would she keep doing it to the point of injury? It's hard to say, but I've definitely heard plenty of stories of people seriously hurting themselves while punching a wall or door. Running off to sulk alone is also something she's done.

While the premise of the Gang trying to get over a parent's death isn't exactly a new theme, your take on this issue was certainly a good one. The dialogue, situation building and the rather emotional drive in this fic were certainly nice even if I think there were some issues with characterization. Still, it's a solid first LBT fic and I hope we'll see more from you in the future! :)

Thank you so much! I'm not sure if I'll do another story for LBT, at least not for a while. I don't really have any other well-developed ideas, especially not ones that other writers haven't done well. I'd sort of like to try adapting the plots of some of the sequels to fit a more adult tone like that of the original, but that would be a huge project, and I have way too many half-written stories for other fandoms lying around at the moment. I'll be sticking around here for other writers' stories and for the discussion stuff, though.

@Sneak:

Only thing - maybe there were extremely small gap between original movie and this story. And when each of character beside Littlefoot lost their relatives - I think some time should be passed before they gather and start to try to play like they did at the beginning of the story. I dunno, Cera and Petrie could be more depressed.

Well, part of the goal of this story was to show the transition period between when they get to the Great Valley and the start of the sequels. They're definitely not as happy and carefree as they were by the start of Great Valley Adventure, but I don't think they'd just be sitting around moping. They're dealing with loss, but at the the same time they had the HUGE stress of being in constant danger on their journey lifted off their shoulders. And even during the journey, Littlefoot and the others were still joking around a little bit. Distraction and humor are very common and effective coping mechanisms.

Cera definitely was depressed, although she tried to hide it. At the start, she was the first one to try to open up to the others, although that ended up going sideways due to various communication problems. The others were as well, to a lesser extent. Everybody wanted to talk about what happened, but they didn't know how to bring it up, and they saw all the others acting normal, so they didn't want to be the first one to "ruin the mood." Ducky and Petrie also had it much easier than Cera because they still had the support of their parents and other siblings. Cera lost nearly her entire family, and couldn't really turn to her dad for support because he's not open with his emotions either.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It is always a good day when another writer arrives on the Gang of Five.  :)  This story was quite well done, with excellent characterization throughout.  In particular it shows a part of the story that we were not shown in the films – the emotional aftermath that came once they were safely in the Great Valley and could take stock of their actions during the journey.  And, importantly, the emotional ramifications of coming to terms with what they had lost.

The only real misgiving I could mention was already covered by Sovereign in that I am a bit unsure of Cera’s mental breakdown, but it is not outside the realm of possibility for that character.  After all we never really got to see her come to terms with her losses in the films (apart from a mention in Always There) so it is possible that a delayed breakdown would be in-character for her.

All in all, this was a unique take on a traditional theme in Land Before Time fanfiction.  Though there are many stories that deal with loss I think your story is one of only a few that truly focused on this time period in the canon – and that provided a believable transition from the first film into the sequels.  Very nicely done!  :)  I look forward to your future stories.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

IHC

• Ruby
    • View Profile
It is always a good day when another writer arrives on the Gang of Five. :) This story was quite well done, with excellent characterization throughout.

Wow. Thank you, that seriously means a lot coming from you!

The only real misgiving I could mention was already covered by Sovereign in that I am a bit unsure of Cera’s mental breakdown, but it is not outside the realm of possibility for that character. After all we never really got to see her come to terms with her losses in the films (apart from a mention in Always There) so it is possible that a delayed breakdown would be in-character for her.

Always There was actually one of the moments in the series that inspired this fic. Even in a situation where Littlefoot, who hardly ever mentions his mom, was willing to talk about her, Cera wasn't. The other big one was in Invasion of the Tinysauruses when Littlefoot asked Cera if Tria was going to be her new mom and Cera flipped out and nearly attacked him. It seems like even years later she's still deeply affected by her family's loss.

All in all, this was a unique take on a traditional theme in Land Before Time fanfiction. Though there are many stories that deal with loss I think your story is one of only a few that truly focused on this time period in the canon – and that provided a believable transition from the first film into the sequels.

Hey, I guess it's not surprising that there are a lot of stories about coming to terms with loss, since it's one of the main themes of the original movie! But yeah, it surprised me looking through fanfiction.net that there was so little written about this period. I also don't think I've ever seen the possibility of Ducky or Petrie losing siblings, even though it's statistically pretty likely when a species has clutches of several eggs at a time, and on average only about two would survive long enough to reproduce to maintain a stable population. Even in fairly safe, prosperous pre-industrial human societies infant mortality was still over 50% IIRC.