The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

LBT roleplay in the style of the original movie?

Ducky123 · 399 · 51553

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It sounds like the consensus has been that the roleplay begins with the group being intact and then we elaborate on the backstories of the characters through flashbacks, but I think that perhaps another approach might be more appropriate.  I think we could have a bit of time as the group "forms" in the beginning of the roleplay in order to introduce their perspectives and their thoughts about the prospect of banding together "temporarily". With the temporary nature becoming a bit more permanent as the roleplay goes along, obviously.   I think this would strike the balance between not having several pages of backstory as we introduce our characters' backstories, and also avoiding the pitfall of having a roleplay begin with something like "It was the third month of the herd's journey..."

As for my character, I had an idea that might make for some interesting drama as the early phase of the roleplay happens.  I think that for the Oviraptor (my character) it would make sense for him to merely follow the group from a distance as he is distrustful of other species, but is also opportunistic for potential events that may benefit his survival.  After all if someone dies on the way, for example, for him it would be a free meal.  But I think that the other members of the makeshift herd could detect him following them at some point along the way, which would make for an interesting character conflict.  How do you trust something that you can't catch, could potentially be a threat, and that also doesn't particularly trust you either?  It could make for some interesting character development.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Quote from: Fyn16,Aug 31 2017 on  07:47 PM
I've also been throwing a mental storyboard of sorts for a "trailer" for the RP, based on this song. It just seems to fit the mood of this potential story so we'll, conveying moments of friendship, loss, and wonder.

I know, right?! I caught this song for the first time at work a few days ago, and couldn't stop the mental storyboards either :lol
This idea is just so exciting!

As for my character, I had an idea that might make for some interesting drama as the early phase of the roleplay happens. I think that for the Oviraptor (my character) it would make sense for him to merely follow the group from a distance as he is distrustful of other species, but is also opportunistic for potential events that may benefit his survival. After all if someone dies on the way, for example, for him it would be a free meal. But I think that the other members of the makeshift herd could "catch him" following them at some point along the way, which would make for an interesting character conflict. How do you trust something that you can't catch, could potentially be a threat, and that also doesn't particularly trust you either? It could make for some interesting character development.

Ooooh, sounds neat! Trying to figure out where my character would fit in, though as a much more primarily herbivorous oviraptor most of the group's distrust would probably come from her species' solitary, aloof nature. Not sure if she should be in the main group already or part of a different micro-group that joins up later, but either way wouldn't affect your plans too much, as she also dislikes and is distrustful of other oviraptor species :smile

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ooooh, sounds neat! Trying to figure out where my character would fit in, though as a much more primarily herbivorous oviraptor most of the group's distrust would probably come from her species' solitary, aloof nature. Not sure if she should be in the main group already or part of a different micro-group that joins up later, but either way wouldn't affect your plans too much, as she also dislikes and is distrustful of other oviraptor species

Sounds great!  In this way we also have some distrust between the oviraptorians as my character will see yours as the only potential threat in the group, more than likely.  Very interesting...  I see some intrigue ahead.  :yes

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
So how will me and Snik work? Can we just show up at a random time? Have a scene with us while you guys handle another scene maybe?
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
If I had to guess, you could show up for scenes where you attack, track, and scheme, so to speak. As an ever-present threat, this should ensure you have plenty of posting time.

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
It sounds like the consensus has been that the roleplay begins with the group being intact and then we elaborate on the backstories of the characters through flashbacks, but I think that perhaps another approach might be more appropriate. I think we could have a bit of time as the group "forms" in the beginning of the roleplay in order to introduce their perspectives and their thoughts about the prospect of banding together "temporarily". With the temporary nature becoming a bit more permanent as the roleplay goes along, obviously. I think this would strike the balance between not having several pages of backstory as we introduce our characters' backstories, and also avoiding the pitfall of having a roleplay begin with something like "It was the third month of the herd's journey..."

I agree with this idea, that we should show how the group came together to begin, it sets the scene for the rest of the RP. As to how Snik and Hypnobrai I think there should also be a scene where they meet cause it has been suggested that they are a working pair. It gives us a chance to see what their two Sharpteeth personalities and relationship are like and how that might affect the RP. I've also been thinking about the motive for them pursuing the gang, it could be related to a chance injury that one of the members caused one of the Sharpteeth and that coupled with their already ferocious personality could be the basis for the plot of the Sharpteeth. Though I don't know what will happen in the end for them, that's something we'll decide on later I believe.  

What's the point in being mad if you don't do mad things now and again?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
What you're saying makes sense, Fyn, but there could also be some advantages in having some kind of clear destination. Without a permanent motivator for the characters, things could become directionless and disorderly if we're not careful. However, as you said, many of our characters don't have a family to return to so that brings a problem to this approach. We don't have to have a destination right away but sooner or later, the characters will have to learn to work together (more or less) which necessitates a clear goal, no matter how elusive it is. However, the initial conflicts inside our gang should spark enough interest at first so we shouldn't hurry with trying to build an early dominating storyline. The characters deserve to be fleshed out before anything else happens.

Because of the fact that some of our characters distrust each others' kinds, the motive should be universal and not bounded by the dinosaurs' traditions. Perhaps stories concerning some stellar phenomena or search for some kind of knowledge could work? unsure.gif Anyway, all of this can certainly take a backseat in the roleplay but I'd say it could serve as a backburner for long-term developments as the undead long did in Game of Thrones.
It could be a legend that one of them may have picked up from a dinosaur they've met. I know my character has met such a dinosaur in the past so she could be the one introducing them to it. A Yellowstone-like location, fueled by hot springs, could work out actually, now that I think about it. It'd allow them to survive the harsh winters up north (though I think they should not reach it without having to battle the wintery conditions for a while :smile)

It sounds like the consensus has been that the roleplay begins with the group being intact and then we elaborate on the backstories of the characters through flashbacks, but I think that perhaps another approach might be more appropriate. I think we could have a bit of time as the group "forms" in the beginning of the roleplay in order to introduce their perspectives and their thoughts about the prospect of banding together "temporarily". With the temporary nature becoming a bit more permanent as the roleplay goes along, obviously. I think this would strike the balance between not having several pages of backstory as we introduce our characters' backstories, and also avoiding the pitfall of having a roleplay begin with something like "It was the third month of the herd's journey..."
If we go with that, then I suggest doing it like this:

At the beginning, they are all on their own, reflecting on how they ended up on their own, I guess (those would be some rather lenghty posts to start with but, that way, we'll have all backstories right there within a couple posts of us all). Now (after determining where everyone is located), some of us may form the first groups of two. Maybe those at the sea who were battered by the tsunami, may bump into each other rather early on and so do those who come from further inland (like my character for example). From there on, we'll have to see where the individual groups are on the map and try to steer them into bumping into the other groups... uhh, I really need to think of a map. Already have some ideas (though I would need to know what kind of location everyone thinks of starting). Oh, and the stalking Ovie won't form a group of course :p
Inactive, probably forever.

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Sep 3 2017 on  08:46 AM
If we go with that, then I suggest doing it like this:

At the beginning, they are all on their own, reflecting on how they ended up on their own, I guess (those would be some rather lenghty posts to start with but, that way, we'll have all backstories right there within a couple posts of us all).
What about me? I'd say no, because I'm obviously not part of the group, but an antagonist introduction like that would be cool to happen at some point down the line. Or it could be left out altogether for a future fanfiction :)
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Oh, and the stalking Ovie won't form a group of course  :p

Buko: "We prefer to be called 'fastrunners', thank you very much!  Darn, bigoted swimmers..."

:p

But in all seriousness, I am open to starting anywhere as Buko has probably been traveling for quite a while from his former home.  So feel free to place me wherever the plot may demand.  :yes

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
What about me? I'd say no, because I'm obviously not part of the group, but an antagonist introduction like that would be cool to happen at some point down the line. Or it could be left out altogether for a future fanfiction smile.gif
Don't worry, I think you and Snik could also have a little time for backstories and travelling around until meeting each other.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
My character's reason for separation from his family really has nothing to do with the tsunami so I could start a bit further inland. And Hypnobrai, some kind of context for the predators would be cool but obviously we should keep the focus on our gang so we should find some kind of balance there.  :)

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
well, in original LBT, Sharptooth didn't get any prehistory moments. He was only pure antagonistic force.
But Hypnobrai's character has some prehistory, and he acts (at least I think so after reading profiles) in the same way as "gang" characters. So hmm, I think she should get something. Maybe. I don't know...
Mone character don't. Because he's merely force/tool who "activates" only when main story/adventure starts. :)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Well, I think my character would be pretty far inland, given that he already lived far from the coast and was pushed out of his home. I could see him meeting our "gang" over a dispute, though we'd need a good reason (maybe a threat or something) for him to not run away from the group right off the bat.

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
My character was at ground zero when the tsunami struck and I don't picture that on the cost but rather near a large inland sea that had a huge rockslide come down into the water that created the mega tsunami and he would end up on The Barren plains where the cracks of the earthquake had happened. I would say that he has found some place of refuge like a cave where he can stay while he recovers from his trip and injuries and that might be where he is met.
What's the point in being mad if you don't do mad things now and again?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Let me try to gather all information...

Me: approaching coast from deeper inland

rhombus: hands over his full admin power including banhammer to me (kidding :lol)

Sovereign: probably further inland

Fyn16: Further inland

The Lone Dragon: somewhat close to sea but located near a lake (gonna include this in the map for sure... might make some sketches at school if I'm ever bored)

DarkWolf: ??? (wandering around so further inland as well? dang, do we even need the tsunami? :p)

Jorrdy12: ??? (maybe close to water, being hit by the tsunami (or, well, almost hit I guess) further intensifies her fear of being on the ground + maybe makes her watershy as well :p Otherwise she'd be the perfect character to team up with mine because they're both mental wrecks xD)

As for Snik and Hypno, I'd assume they won't be too far off either.

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
well, I/Shade wasn't in "area of catastrophe affect", or was at the veeeeeery border of it. He flied from opposite direction to the coast lands.

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Slash narrowly escaped being swallowed by it.

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
So am I to assume that we're starting after the group meets up? I feel that once we get over the hurdle of our first post, the rest should be easy.

If you would like, I'm thinking about posting a very short reflective piece from the perspective of my character either later today or sometime soon. Could be a good example to follow.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Sounds good, Fyn. It is probably a good idea to get a better hang on our characters early on.

At this point, shouldn't our main focus be in establishing the setting for our first scenes?