The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

TLBT Fanfiction series

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey guys, so here's the promised fanfiction that I was going to start. After some part of my main fanfiction (Shorty's Dark Past) kinda turned into a "story within a story", I decided to make a whole new fanfiction (series) about it.

So what kind of story is expecting you? Very basically, I'm rewriting the first movie (possibly even more of them at a later point), adding a bit of originality here and there of course. There will be additional scenes which happen inbetween the scenes, that we all love so much, or during the time that the movie doesn't show us due to time restrictments (or those little buggers cutting those scenes :p) and just, generally, I will always try to improve the logic in some scenes, change dialogues etc. So this won't be a boring copy of LBT 1, don't you worry ;)

Littlefoot was telling Bron the story of how he lost his mother, found his friends and reached the Great Valley together in "SDP". I'll need to add those scenes of the first movie which weren't relevant to that story (aka. the first few minutes of it which is why I haven't started posting yet  :bang ).

Due to the Fanfiction Awards taking place now, I will try to get as much of it published as I can during the time of voting (the timing is a bit bad, I admit :p). You can probably expect at least two chapters per week since I've got quite a bit of the stuff in the middle already written due to it being originally written for "Shorty's Dark Past"

So... yeah. I hope you will enjoy this new story/concept and I hope I will not fall behind on posting chapters (like i usually do  :rolleyes ). Expect the first chapter either tomorrow or on Wednesday :)
Inactive, probably forever.

Littlefoot fan 1990

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://vitaniandkovulover.deviantart.com/
Sweet! Looking forward to the first chapter.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
aaand...
U STOLE MY IDEA!

:anger  :anger  :anger

jk of course.
XD

Well, revisiting original movie and adding some original scenes is the most obvious idea for fanfic writers (and fanfic dreamers! XD), I guess, so it's not surprise that many people can write this story someday. :)

One time, I wanted to start my path as fanfic writer from writing LBT1 story. Making it my first test work. And after that, expanding some other movies. Making my first of three LBT universes (aka official universe) full.

Only I can say is...

CAN'T WAIT FOR STORY!!!
 :birthday
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Glad you're all looking forward to this story! This is just the right kick in the butt that I need to finish the first chapter asap :lol

@Snik
Yes, indeed it's something that many people do. When I was thinking about this the first time, this was my biggest argument against doing this but, let's all admit, even the best movies have scenes that you may have liked more if they were changed a little. Especially if I do the sequels too, I might try to improve the plot of them quite a bit.

I've already told you this some time before but all I can do is encourage you to publish your writing if you're working on a story. It's the best way to grow and learn as a writer. I know you're having some trouble with the language but I promise I'll help you out where I can and I'm sure so will others.  ^^spike

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Thank you, Ducky.
I will definitely take your help when (if) the time comes, but unfortunately for me, problems with language isn't my main problem I have.  :(
yeah...

anyway, waiting for your story!

just one thing: With 99% probability, I will read it only after you completely finish it. You don't mind? ;)
6/14
0/26

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thank you, Ducky.
I will definitely take your help when (if) the time comes, but unfortunately for me, problems with language isn't my main problem I have. sad.gif
yeah...
What would be that other problem if you don't mind me asking?

Just one thing: With 99% probability, I will read it only after you completely finish it. You don't mind? wink.gif
I'm fine with that :)

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile

AllegroGiocoso

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Count me in on reading too! I'd love to see the movies expanded on!

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
that's great to know! :DD

Sorry for not finishing the first chapter yet by the way, I am struggling with motivation this week :p It's either gaming or drawing that keeps me occupied (right now, it's drawing thank god)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ahem  :rolleyes:

I may have neglected this a liiiiiiiittle bit. I'm getting close to the point in SDP now, where this whole story should be kinda... finished  :blink:  :lol

So, I guess I'll really focus on this one now and, as soon as I get to the part that I've already written a long time ago, I can really post these rather quick. Chapters are intended to be at least the length of SDP chapters so... I also don't want to post them too quick lest people can't keep up with the story (plus me with writing  :bang )

Anyway, just as a teaser, here's the prologue you all know and love, I'll post the first chapter in a few hours if I don't forget to, haha :lol

Prologue:

Once upon this same earth, beneath this same sun. Long before you, before the ape and the elephant as well, the wulf, the bison, the whale… before the mammoth and the mastodon… in the time of the dinosaurs!

Now the dinosaurs were of two kinds. Some had flat teeth for eating the leaves of the trees and some had sharp teeth for eating meat… and they prayed upon the leafeaters.

Then it happened that the leaves began to die. The mighty beasts who appeared to rule the earth were ruled, in truth, by the leaves. Desperate for food, some of the dinosaur herds stuck out towards the west, searching for the Great Valley - a land still lush and green. It was a journey towards life.

It was a march of many dangers. Sharpteeth stalked the herds, waiting to cease any who strayed.

The herds stopped only to hatch their young.

I'm using this opportunity to ask those who are interested in reading this for a few questions about my approach on a few... scenes.

First of all, do you want me to write about the birth scenes of Ducky and Cera (and... Petrie? Though I have no clue what to write there :DD) too? Littlefoot's birth scene will be the first chapter of this story anyway and it was actually tons of fun to write as you will hopefully see later today :p Though I may not go as much into detail as with Littlefoot to avoid the repetition of the same story elements.

Furthermore, I plan to use the original storyline. I'm not gonna assume that anybody would like to see the story follow the cut version of the film :p However, that comes with a significant number of uncertainties. I mean, we know pretty much how the original original movie was supposed to be and what was going to be where that we did not see. However, there's one scene more mysterious than the others and it's the only one we do not have any proof of (unless my memories fail me there):

The oasis scene

[Discussion moved to this thread :wave]

What's your idea? Should I even include it at all? I certainly won't unless I know how to and where to fit it in  :exactly

EDIT: On second thought, maybe I should ask that question in the discussion forum and not here, I'll move it asap :p [EDITEDIT: done :p)

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
(Only yesterday I thought about what if I write novellization of original movie... Coincidence?)

One more parallel story, eh? :p
You sure you want to write it now, when other stories are unfinished yet?

----------------

Yeah, Oasis scene is just AWESOME for story and its morale. I read it in one of LBT books. Even if it wasn't in original movie plan, I think this scene makes story even better!
Don't forget to read books before writing story, since they contain original storyline and some extra scenes,  and characters' thoughts.

also I would like to see more oiginal scenes. For example, while I "watched" (imagined) extended version of LBT1, I added one more day to gang's travel. :)

also, I would REALLY like to see you describe Sharptooth's personality a bit. His nature, thoughts and motivations.
6/14
0/26

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I concur that the Oasis scene would be a good addition to any retelling of the story using the original storyline.  In fact, as the original storyline had some ambiguity in it in terms of the details, this should give you quite a bit of freedom as an author.  As for Petrie's hatching, that would certainly be an interesting scene as there is a lot we don't know about flyer dynamics.  Did Mama Flyer nest with other flyer females (strength in numbers) or solitary?  Was a father ever part of the equation or (as is believed to be the case in reality) did the fathers have no role in raising the young?  There are many ways in which that scene could be configured.

In any case, I look forward to seeing what you come up with.  :)

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Chapter 1 - Littlefoot is hatched

The large, female Longneck carefully nudged the egg that  lay  beside her in the nest. There were several more egg shells in that nest but they did not belong to any hatchling of hers. The eggs had all been failures - empty and lifeless. Only one egg was very well filled with life - her only hope for the future.

The Longneck who had a blue-ish colour looked over to a couple of elderly Longnecks with a grey skin colour - the male’s skin being slightly darker in colouration. They were wading through a nearby swamp on the lookout for anything edible for the mother-to-be who was the child of theirs. They would be grandparents of a wonderful little hatchling soon, however he would have to grow up in a hostile world. Sharpteeth were terrorising those who were able to survive the terrible drought that turned many once lush and green places into hostile deserts. It had been many years ago since they could live without having to worry about finding food. Life was a constant battle for survival, food was scarce, water even more so and protection from Sharpteeth was practically non-existent. They constantly had to be on alert - even at night.

Their only hope was the Great Valley - a mysterious place that was rumoured to exist in faraway lands towards the west. Whether the rumours were true, nobody knew. One brave Longneck - the father of the hatchling who was soon expected to hatch, had set off towards the west as soon as it became apparent that they would be having a little child to parent, trying to find out where this mysterious place was or if it even existed at all. Going on such a perilous journey with a little baby would have been too risky without knowing where to go. They had been wandering quite a lot in the past, trying to find the last remaining food and water sources that their environment still offered them but, no matter where they went, it was always the same story. The land was changing for the worse - even the once so lush land that had been their home for so long was now little more than a dead area, most rivers and lakes dried up, most forests burned or dead.

They knew how hard life had been to them these past few years and there was no indication whatsoever that water and food would return anytime soon. It was to be assumed that things got even worse so their only hope was that the rumours about this promised land were indeed true. Otherwise, their child would not have a very pleasant childhood, that much they knew. It was even highly questionable how much longer they would be able to survive under these worsening conditions at all, not to mention staying strong enough to protect the little one from the countless dangers of their world. Taking the perilous journey upon themselves was the only option they had if they wanted to give their unhatched child a small chance to reach adulthood so he could continue their bloodline and start a new generation. Either they would reach the Great Valley or die trying together.

With interest, the mother studied the afternoon sky which revealed a dark wall of clouds quickly rushing by from the south.

“Looks like a storm is coming,” the elderly male mentioned as he brought some food to his daughter who was guarding the nest, having seen the approaching storm as well.

“Yes, maybe we’ll finally get some Sky Water so the plants can grow again,” the mother-to-be replied, hope rising up in her chest. Water meant life and they were about to get lucky.

“Keep in mind that a storm can also cause harm though,” the elderly female reminded her family, having experienced many storms both severe and harmless in her long life. One always had to be prepared for the worst to come in these days where every day of survival was a true gift.

“Yes, but I think this is a good sign,” the elderly male reasoned. “Our grandson is about to hatch. I think it’s a good sign that Sky Water is coming now in particular.”

“Yes, I agree,” his mate added. “And if it is not, we will do everything in our might to protect our grandchild from the harsh power of nature.”

They went back to the swamps again, looking for more food while the sky continued to darken. It wasn’t long until strong winds reached the group of Longnecks, gushing lots of rain into their faces. Lightning flashes were dancing across the sky so quick that it was hard to tell them apart. It was a pretty intense storm though not much of a danger to the Longnecks.

The mother shielded her egg from the worst, waiting for the storm to pass. After thirty minutes, the storm finally reduced to rain of medium intensity, the lightning flashes dancing further away from then and the thunder gently rolling across the land as opposed to the loud gun-shot like thunderclaps the storm had spawned constantly. Finally, the young female could relax again. The storm was moving on, leaving her egg in one piece much to her relief. It was safe now… or was it?

She didn’t see the Eggstealer, quietly moving into a nearby bush, his eyes fixated on her egg. The Longneck hadn’t noticed him yet so he jumped out of his hideout, silently edging closer until he stood on top of a skeleton of a Swimmer, that worked as a sort of improvised wall, protecting the nest, right in front of the egg, saliva gathering in his mouth as he put his eye on this particularly good-looking egg. It was literally about to hatch - he liked his favourite meal well-done. Quick as a lightning bolt, he grabbed the egg with his long fingers.

That was when the Longneck realised that somebody was trying to steal her baby. “Sharptooth dung!” Furiously, she swung her strong, muscular head like a mace, knocking the creature far from her with a single, powerful, bone-crushing move. It instantly dropped the egg which fell to the ground right at the edge of their nest. A few cracks had appeared in its shell but it had remained intact. Unfortunately, though, the egg began to tumble into the wrong direction, falling down the bony remains of the Swimmer, down the wooden remains of what once was a green bush, more cracks appearing in the eggshell during its descent yet the egg did not break.

With a splash, it soon fell into a nearby stream that supplied the swamps around the nest with little water though it had swollen significantly after the rainstorm, the egg dancing on the water surface after it had resurfaced from the initial dive. Though, soon, a small waterfall ended the egg’s little watery adventure as soon as it had begun. It fell a little off from the stream, now, again, rolling down through even more scrub, constantly spinning as it did so, until it, finally, came to a standstill in a little trough that seemed like it could have been a nest of another dinosaur in the past.

While the two elderly Longnecks instantly hurried to go after the egg, the mother swung her mighty tail to prevent the Eggstealer from getting up and going after the egg, crushing the creature’s ribcage as her massive tail made contact with the thin figure, flinging it several feet through the air before crashing into a nearby rock where it remained motionless. This had been its last hunt. “I was a fool!” Without paying the dying Eggstealer any further attention, she rushed after her egg as well, full of rage and worries eating her up. Did the egg make it?

As the two elder Longnecks discovered their egg somewhat below their nest, their first reaction was relief. “The egg is safe and it did not get crushed, what a blessing!” the male shouted once the egg came into his field of view. Their daughter soon caught up to them after she had decapitated the aggressor, advancing to their egg together since they couldn’t let the egg remain unprotected another time,. since, naturally, a lonely egg drew quite some attention among dinosaurs and critters alike. That was even more so when a lonely egg had cracks all over its skin, being about to hatch. A small lizard inspected the egg curiously. Where had it come from so suddenly? It seemed to have fallen from the very sky without warning after all. The thundering footsteps that were quickly approaching as well as signs of movement in the egg soon startled the little creature though, crawling back into its hideout from where it continued to watch the scene with curious eyes. Its curiosity was puny though in comparison to the tingly excitement that the three adult Longnecks were now feeling as, upon their arrival at the scene, it became clear that the egg had survived the wild journey with little damage, furthermore being about to hatch. They arrived just in time to witness how their child began stirring within the egg, probably shaken awake from all the tumbling and spinning.

The young female's mind was beginning to calm again, though it was yet to be seen whether the hatchling had taken damage. When she noticed that the hatching was about to take place, excitement welled up in her like a fountain of water. With childlike curiosity, she watched as her baby struggled to break free. “Oh, I can’t wait!”

Now, the cracked surface of the egg turned out to be a good thing in the end. All the unborn hatchling had to do was giving the shell a little kick to break the first small hole into its former home that had now become too tight and violent for its liking. It wanted to get out, though there still was a small complication that made hatching a little tricky despite the already weakened skin. Unlucky as it was, it had ended up lying on its head so its world lied upside down all of a sudden. The violent journey had completely confused the hatchlings sense of orientation on top of that to complicate things further. Nevertheless, the wish to struggle free somehow was prevailed in the little Longneck so, in a matter of a few moments, it, blindly, struck his tail, breaking through the small hole at the top of the egg and enlarging it further. A powerful kick of its hind limbs broke the egg apart at last though the little Longneck was still in an upside down position, balancing on its head.

Naturally, the little one didn’t have a good balance yet, the wild tumble further magnifying that effect, so it, soon, tumbled over until its legs were finally touching the sandy ground for the first time though its head was still not quite facing in the right direction. The first image young Littlefoot saw when he opened his eyes for the first time, was a strange world where directions weren’t as he was used to. Drowsily, he rolled over at last - finally, things seemed to be normal again, maybe aside from the fact that he no longer resided in his egg. His eyesight was still very poor, only allowing him to see rough, blurry shapes and washed out colours yet but, already, he was astonished by what his eyes were showing him. It was much more exciting than the permanent darkness he had gotten used to by now.

Besides, young Littlefoot also discovered another new ability of his body. He could smell things with his nose now though the few smells he was already able to pick up didn’t have any meaning to the young Longneck yet. With delight, he also noticed, that he could hear much better outside of the limiting walls that had encased his existence so far. On top of that, it was so cool to be free at last! The tickly sensation that the sand he was currently sitting on gave him was pleasant above anything else, the cool breeze of the air around him, which was of much better quality than the little air he had while he was still within the borders of the egg too, was new to him as well; and it astounded him why it was moving like that in the first, and, above all, he could sense some unknown liquid touch his body on a few spots. What was it? And how did it work that liquid could fly? He couldn’t fly, could he? There were so many questions forming in the little one’s head at once that he couldn’t keep track of them in the slightest,  nor did he know how to communicate them, however, he knew one thing for sure: This world was in every aspect superior to his former life in disguise.

The mother of the child had a hard time holding back the tears of joy that were forming in her eyes. She had successfully hatched her first child; it was the most miraculous feeling that she had ever felt in her life. On first sight, she knew that she had a wonderful, healthy and curious boy in front of her eyes, coloured in a purple-ish hue, exploring his new world with the senses he had. Yet, her little Littlefoot was completely oblivious to his mother so she decided to make herself known to the clumsy child.

“Here I am,” she spoke invitingly, lowering her head to the hatchling’s eye-level while his grandma and grandpa remained in the background for now, observing the scene with just as much delight as their daughter. Wasn’t it like yesterday, when she had hatched in front of their eyes?

Littlefoot quickly made notice of the warm voice that appeared to have come from above him. Even though he could not understand what was being said, he had heard this voice countless times before. It was the voice that had always been there for as long as he could remember so he instantly recognised it. What he didn’t know, however, was what that curious voice was or what it meant? Surely, it would belong to somebody who was like him? How lovely it would be to have someone like him whom he could play with and explore the mysteries of this new world together…

Of all the senses that he now possessed, his sense of sight seemed to be the most useful and reliable so he used the information that his ears had received moments ago to aim his eyes at the source of the voice. Suddenly, two things happened at once. The Longneck didn’t really know how his body reacted to movement yet hence he couldn’t prevent himself from losing his footing, falling onto his back because of the shift in weight and its distribution.  At the same time, his eyes spotted a huge, unknown shape that was rapidly closing in on him, instinct telling him that big, unknown things were bad so his initial reaction was fear. Scared of this voice and this shape, he crawled away as best as he could though he was far from figuring out how he had to move his extremities properly. What was about to happen now? Were there things in this world that didn’t mean him any good? Was he about to be hurt by that mysterious thing? Did he make a mistake? Maybe he was supposed to stay in his shell? Though, he had broken the egg. Would he now receive the punishment for his mistakes? Timidly, Littlefoot cowered on the ground, awaiting whatever was about to happen with him.

The female knew that hatchlings were very cute but her boy undermined every existing definition of cute that she knew of.  From the first second on, her Littlefoot was being the embodiment of adorable. Though, apparently, he was scared of her. She had heard that hatchlings were often born with poor eyesight which would give a reasonable explanation as for why her son didn’t recognise his mother right away despite knowing her voice. Gently, yet determined, the mother licked the boy. At first he tried to evade her tongue but soon…

Littlefoot, promptly, tried to crawl away when he felt a strange, wet yet warm and somewhat soft something touch much of his exposed back. He didn’t know whether it was good or bad yet so, until he did, he would assume the worst and try to get away from it.  Once he had come into contact with the strange object a few times, he had to admit that he kind of liked the feeling that it gave him. It spent warmth and, moreover, it reminded him of the sound of the voice - causing the same feeling in him… a warmth that seemed to originate deep within him. Maybe his eyes had fooled him in the end?

This time, the hatchling allowed the strange object to touch him. Littlefoot immediately came to the conclusion that something so warm and wonderful simply couldn’t mean him any harm so he gave up his cowered position, rising his short neck into the air to smile broadly for the first time in his life. He was truly happy when the object continued to touch him all over his small body but, mostly, around his head. He turned his head to the big unknown shape hovering above him to take a closer look. Littlefoot couldn’t quite determine yet what it was but something told him that it belonged to him and he belonged to it.

As he was now to find out, it was also very strong - strong enough to push him from his feet yet it did so very gently, almost as if it was playing a game with him. Littlefoot got to his feet again and tried to take yet another picture of the object that was playing with him. His eyes finally focussed a little more, allowing him to see much much more details. For example, the thing that gave him the good feeling seemed to have the same things that he had. Eyes, a nose, ears, a mouth and something within that mouth which gave him the warm feeling. It was just like him, only gigantic. Gigantic but very kind and loving. Littlefoot immediately memorised how it looked and how it smelled like so he would never lose it again. Actually, he had this funny thing in his mouth too so he began to imitate the much bigger version of himself, sticking his tongue out to touch the much bigger dinosaur in front of him. Littlefoot was caught by surprise when he was suddenly touched directly but he knew that he had nothing to fear, loving this new kind of touch right away. Actually, he never wanted it to stop touching him and making him feel great so he held onto its snout, hugging his mother.

Littlefoot had already made his first friend in this strange world and he would soon find so many more. His mother was overwhelmed by the emotions. It was a moment she would never, ever forget. The love of a mother for her child was unconditional and stronger than anything in the world. She loved her little Littlefoot from head to toe, from nose to the tip of his little tail.

Now that the bonding had taken place, many of the smaller creatures that had gathered around the site by now were slowly daring to come forward to take a friendly, closer look at the sweet, little hatchling of the Longneck. The female knew that the creatures meant no harm to her little son though he did not seem to be aware of that yet. Slightly amused, she watched how he tried to escape from the ever growing crowd of onlookers - first crawling and, eventually, trying and failing to run on his scrawny legs.

When Littlefoot saw more strange moving things, he was afraid. Would they be just as nice as the big dinosaur he was clinging onto right now? The boy didn’t feel good about the situation so he took flight. Eventually, he hid behind his mother’s legs which seemed like the safest place to go at the time.

“Don’t be afraid. Come out.”

There, the voice. Littlefoot heard it again. Even though he still didn’t know what any of those sounds actually meant to tell him, he understood the message just from the way the voice was talking to him. It sounded like everything was okay so he assumed that the creatures, maybe, would be nice too? The little one allowed them to get closer though, too soon, the sheer amount of them and the way how they kept advancing on him startled him quickly so he, again, took flight, finding refuge in the big dinosaur who lifted him up in the air much to his delight. This dinosaur who was like him was even strong enough to lift him from the ground which seemed to hold on to him for some reason that he couldn’t quite explain yet. There were still so many questions he had but, for now, he was just happy to be with his mother. Nothing else mattered.

It was only now that Littlefoot made notice of the other two big dinosaurs. They looked like his mother a lot and they smelled very similar. Above all, they looked at him with the same, warm smile that made his heart melt from pure joy and merriness which gave him lots of energy. It was that energy that drove him to jump around on his mother’s back for a while while the three big dinosaurs were constantly looking at him perform the wildest of stunts, laughing and smiling at him. His new life was so wonderful, Littlefoot regretted not leaving the egg even sooner.

It was soon, though, that Littlefoot felt an all too familiar feeling. Some things, apparently, still stayed the same after his escape from the egg, tiredness being one of them. Now, Littlefoot didn’t mind sleeping. Sleeping was awesome, though, right now, he’d rather continue to learn more about his new friends and the world around him. Fighting the desire to rest seemed pointless so, with a cute yawn, he curled up on his mother’s back, smiling all the way until he was fast asleep under the light chuckles of his mother and grandparents. His first day in freedom had been perfect and he was now looking forward to the next day!

“Dear, sweet Littlefoot…” his mother whispered, finally allowing the tears of joy to flow freely from her eyes. It’d take her well into the night until she’d finally take her eyes off her son, settling down for the night at last.

You don't know how much fun it was to write that :lol It was a spontaneous idea to go that much into details about young Littlefoot's thoughts as he casts a first glance at this new and exciting world but I guess it was one of my better ideas :p

I hope you liked this introduction into the story, the next chapter will probably continue with the hatch scenes of Cera, Ducky and Petrie (yes, I think I have an idea there :smile) Hopefully, I will be able to finish this by the end of the week, the last two days weren't as productive in terms of writing as I anticipated to be  :(

As for the oasis scene, I'm still debating but I think I should be fine to use it if I use the book the scene was mentioned in as a reference.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Chapter 2: The herds stopped only to hatch their young

"You still think today's the day, honey?" The grey-coloured, sturdy male Threehorn spoke in his usual short and gruff way of talking. It was as hot as all the previous days, the Bright Circle's rays, that used to be associated with life and growth, burning down on him. Rather, they were now associated with death and the terrible drought that had been decimating the numbers of many herds, including the herd of threehorns that they were travelling with. Surely, the odds of survival were against them but that didn't stop them from laying eggs which another grey-coloured Threehorn was guarding. It was his mate.

"Believe me, I laid these eggs. I just know that they're ready for this," she spoke with the same warmth that her partner was often lacking in his voice. It seemed, they were complementing each other quite well. Nonetheless, raising these eggs, four of them in fact, would prove to be quite a challenge under these harsh living conditions but what hope was left that the worst drought that had ever haunted this world would ever end? Maybe it was just because of this that the two threehorns decided to try raising children despite the odds... who knew how much longer their bodies would resist the constant lack of everything, endless journeys and the unrelenting heat burning their dehydrated bodies after all...

"Let me guard the eggs now, you go to the watering hole and drink some before these flatheads sap it all up, humpff!" The male suggested. Their herd had been lucky to discover some swamps so they decided to stay until eggs were hatched. However, some other species of dinosaurs, most notably a small group of longnecks who were also breeding eggs, had discovered it as well much to the dislike of the threehorn. Of course it would have been easy for a herd of threehorns to guard a watering hole but what a waste of energy it would be so they, reluctantly, tolerated the presence of these different dinosaurs.

Guarding eggs was a very boring job to the male but he took on the high responsibility as if he were leading the whole herd. In times like these, with many of their members weak and sick, even an egg-stealer going unnoticed could cause great harm to the unhatched. So his eyes kept on scanning the immediate area as well as everything else he could see from this vantage point his nest was built on. Nothing dangerous entered his field of view but the occasional glance high up into the sky showed him a more welcoming sight.

“Clouds…”

They seemed to be rising higher and higher above the nearby mountain range - mighty towers of clouds that were white on top and black at the bottom. Most important though was that they seemed to be coming a little closer whenever he looked.

"Sky water, huh? Now that'd make my day..." the Threehorn mused though his instincts told him better than to rejoice in the possibility of a rare shower. It was just a possibility after all.

Time passed on and the heat was slowly reducing due to the fact that the Bright Circle had already started its descend from the sky. Perhaps also, the upcoming wind blowing from the clouds that kept on growing and darkening played a role. At any case, a storm seemed more likely now, a distant flickering in the clouds indicating that this wouldn't just be a shower but a downpour.

While watching both the weather and the surrounding area, he almost forgot to watch the most crucial of all things he had to look after. The eggs. If it hadn't been for a quiet sound of eggs moving across sandy ground, maybe he would have missed that they were hatching. Instantly, he dropped his guard completely, replaced by an almost childlike excitement.

"THE EGGS, THEY'RE HATCHING!!!" he yelled across the landscape, startling some ground fuzzies looking for food nearby. His booming voice was echoing from the walls of nearby mountains several times. His glowing eyes were now completely locked on the four eggs that had started shifting. In a matter of minutes, he'd finally be a father!

"I told you, didn't I?" his mate shouted while catching her breath after hurrying to the scene.

"Yes you did, honey," he smiled, exchanging a quick nuzzle with his mate.

"Though you didn't need to yell like that... it's not like we can fend off the two dozens of Sharpteeth you just attracted..."

"Jus' making sure you ain't missin' the show," he grinned sheepishly as the shifting of the eggs increased. Just a few more kicks of the hatchlings and the shell would surely break…

*crack*

“Oh!” both Threehorns moaned in excectation of what was about to happen, the first eggshell cracking open, two more following mere seconds later. With tears in their eyes, the two parents witnessed how three orange-coloured little hatchlings struggled themselves free from their eggs, squealing when they saw their parents and the world around them for the first time.

“A-aren’t they…” the female stammered, emotions overwhelming her completely.

“Perfect?” the male suggested, barely trying to hide that he was crying.

“Yes, perfect…” the female managed to speak, crying and laughing at the same time as she greeted the three girls that had already hatched. Only left one egg to hatch…

“Think we should help our child, dear?” the female proposed after a while, the hatchling trying to crack the skin of the egg to no avail.

“Nah, they’ll never grow into strong threehorns if we help them too much. A threehorn doesn’t need any help, humpff!”

“Whatever you say…” the female chuckled, exchanging a quick nuzzle. “You’re right, we need to believe in our little one.”

*crack*

Suddenly, with a mighty kick of pure willpower, the hatchling finally managed to free her legs from the jail that had contained her so far.

“There you go,” her mother cooed, her father merely putting a proud expression on as they both, as well as the three little ones that had already hatched, were watching with extreme excitement.

Rolling around for a bit, the hatchling eventually felt the ground beneath her feet - hard, rocky ground that felt quite warm under her little toes. She still didn’t know how to get rid of the rest of her egg but she did know these legs were made for moving. A bit unsteady at first, she gained footing and began to charge forward blindly. It felt right to do, her instincts kicking in, leading her right into the path of…

*bump*

Her mother stood like a mountain while she watched in amusement how her fourth child was trying to charge into her. Given her tiny size, it was merely an act of cuteness but she seemed satisfied, considering that this was a frequent thing to do as a threehorn.

The impact knocked the child over on her back but that did little but to shake her a little. As a matter of fact… the young threehorn noticed little cracks forming in front of her eyes. Surely one more bump would do the trick… Getting up and, instinctively, facing her dad this time she charged once more with fresh strength…

*crash*

… breaking the shell at last upon impact with the massive snout of the adult. Finally, she could see. A strange world met her eyes but, most importantly, two tall individuals instantly caught her interest. Were they hostile? Instincts telling her to fight, she readied herself, shaking the last remaining piece of egg shell off her horn on her snout, performing more charges against the big dinosaurs without shaking them in the slightest. Apparently, they were much stronger than she was (and, to be fair, they were also a whole lot bigger) and all she had gained was a headache so far.

It was only now though that she realised that these strange giants meant her no harm. Quite the contrary, she now realised that their faces weren’t angry. No, they were full of love and warmth!

*boom*

Suddenly, a flash of light blinded the youngling, closely followed by an ear-blowing thunder.

“Oh right, the storm…” The Threehorns had been completely unaware of the distant thunder and the withdrawal of the Bright Circle until one particular lightning bolt struck ahead of the clouds to make them painfully aware.

Fear. The girl didn’t know what caused the bright light and the loud sound but it scared the hell out of her, her previous bravado gone within a blink of an eye. Instincts told her to run but where? Right, surely the giants would protect her? As the wind picked up and the first, thick droplets of rain began to torture the dry ground beneath her feet, she quickly bolted to safety, joining her other sisters.

“We couldn’t have been more lucky… all four of them are healthy and fit and rain has finally arrived!” the female exclaimed happily despite the harsh wind blowing dust into her face.

“Yeah, though my father would have liked to have a grand-son if he were still with us…” the male spoke gruffly, nonetheless happy about the situation. Even a storm blowing dust into his face couldn’t possibly ruin his mood now.

The young family sat out the storm together. The rain would help the area to remain habitable for a lot longer. Maybe there was hope after all?

The swimmer peeked at the bunch of eggs in the nest, lying stretched in front of it while her mate and her sister were eating the little food that the trees and the remains of a once broad river offered them. The herd of swimmers had been lucky to discover a suitable place to hatch their young though sharpteeth were camping in the area, decimating the herd slowly but surely. Some eggs already lost their parents prior to hatching, now being taken care of by other families, some of which had lost their own nest to other malicious creatures that were stalking the herd. Life was cruel for the herd, predators decimating them as well as their only hope for the future - their offspring. Moreover, the climate had changed for the worse in recent years, hitting them especially hard since their kind relied on water more so than any other species of dinosaur.

In previous times, the young mother-to-be would have labelled her current activity taking a sunbath but, much rather, she was baked by the heat radiating off the big, bright and fiery ball on the cloudless sky, trying to offer the eggs some shade. Truth be told, they did need to be warm to blossom but the heat of the afternoon sun was ridiculous, endangering her future children so action had to be taken even if it meant taking the worst upon herself. At least that gave her the rare freedom to relax a little while the rest of her small family kept close surveillance over the surrounding area.

Maybe it was the fact that their nest was build rather in the center of her herd or maybe it could be simply credited to the help of her sister in keeping watch at day as well as in the dark that they hadn't been dealt any losses yet - quite contrary to the rest of the herd. Too many had fallen to count them and she wondered what would be left when all families were done hatching their eggs... Possibly, the numbers would be lower even counting all the new children, many of which would fall to diseases, hunger, thirst and predation though. Maybe they should have just kept going towards the promised lands - the Great Valley that was rumoured to be far off in the west. Whether it existed, nobody knew but it was their only chance in this dying world - just as it was their only chance for the future to raise new swimmers to adulthood to replace all those that were lost. Admittedly, chances were so low but what did they have to lose?

With interest, the young female gently nudged the pile of eggs. The heartbeat and the movement of her little ones had steadily increased in the last few days. Surely, their hatchday would come soon. Or maybe today? For a moment, it seemed as though one of the eggs shifted slightly upon her nuzzling it. Could they feel the presence of her? She did not know the answer - after all her own memories of hatching were too early in life to be kept. Though now she was curious.

"Hey there, little ones.."

Talking to the eggs was something she and her mate did frequently but, right now, she wanted to try out if her children could hear her and react accordingly. "Mama is here to keep you cool."

Once more, she nudged each egg gently, observing them closely. Suddenly...

"Hey, I think the time has come!" she exclaimed excitedly as she observed one of the eggs beginning to wobble. Certainly, that little adventurer wanted to feel the love of their mother on their own skin and not through the skin of the egg.

Her mate rushed to the site quickly, observing the show in development with quiet and calm excitement, wearing a knowing smile - he would be father very soon... The remaining female stayed some distance away, her eyes switching back and forth between the nest and the surroundings.

"What is this? I would like to see it, yes I do..."

Of course the little hadrosaur within the egg that shifted first didn't know any words just yet but she did feel them just as well. There had been this wonderful feeling again that woke her up and, this time, she swore, she would go out to see what's going on out there beyond the little room she found herself in. The little light that fell in was barely enough to see rough shapes but they've been getting a lot clearer recently. She did not know what expected her but it almost seemed like she wasn't alone. Next to her lay some shapes that reminded her a lot of her own cage and they seemed to be just like her, waiting to be strong enough to break out to see what's beyond. Well, finally, she did feel strong enough to break the shell, her legs strengthening every time she woke up from her slumber. This time it would work, wouldn't it?

"One is tired of being in there, huh?" The female on guard-duty yelled, snickering. Though, as she mentioned that, the other four eggs were beginning to shuffle and wobble as well.

"All of them hatching at once, well that saves some trouble," she continued snickering upon that realization. The two parents were merely nodding, their gazes fixated on the scene in the nest as the hatchling that, one day, would be known as 'Ducky', made her move...

"I can do this, yes I can!"

Motivating herself as best as she could, excitement building up, muscles tensing up in preparation to kick free, unborn little Ducky shifted into a more suitable position with her feet on what she assumed was the bottom of her egg. Then she did it.

*crack*

With a mighty push, the egg shell broke, her head and tail breaking through first. Momentarily, Ducky was blinded by the high intensity of the light out there, blinking her big, curious eyes a few times but the fact that her mother blocked out the Bright Circle helped a lot to restore vision immediately. As Ducky looked around, tremendously excited and happy, the first thing to catch her interest was a flying object that the young swimmer quickly recognized as another living creature as it was showing movement as opposed the most of the other things around her. It was also for this very reason that the butterfly, coloured in a dull yellow colour, hovering above her caught her attention so easily.

"She is so adorable!" The female thought as she saw her first daughter for the first time. So small, so breakable and yet such a curious little bundle of pure joy…

The mere fact that there were things that were, quite unlike her, not tied to the ground, was astounding to Ducky - now she really wanted to know how that worked so she could learn it too. With a lot of effort, the little girl managed to squeeze her twig-like arms through the hole she had punched into the egg, stretching them high into the air in an attempt to free her joints, stiff from the long time of being crouched in the egg, as well as in an attempt to catch the insect hovering above her head. Ducky wasn’t disheartened at all to see it gain some altitude, taking flight. Much rather, she thought that it was going to show her more of the world around her! With that planted in her head, Ducky shifted her weight. She was on a small, elevated place. Considering that something always pulled her to the ground, surely it would also pull her down that hill? The little swimmer didn’t seem to be able to free her legs just yet but what if she could roll down? There was only one way to find out…

“Oh, I think she’s trying to escape,” the male spoke with an amused laugh.

Indeed, the little hatchling, still stuck on her egg, made use of newton’s laws, tumbling down the hill the nest was build on, breaking the remaining egg shell upon hitting the base of the nest.

The two grown-ups decided to give her some time to explore, staying close enough to intervene at any given time.

“Oh yes, I am free!”

With relief, the young child found herself detached from her prison at last. Despite the fact that she had no idea how to move, she got the hang of it instinctively, hopping away from her nest in hot pursuit. The insect led the young swimmer through a rotten log next. Suddenly, Ducky caught a glimpse of a different creature. It appeared to be earth-bound just like her and slightly smaller. Also, it had some sort of fuzz all over its body - quite as opposed to herself, being equipped with a rather smooth skin. Now what should she do? Ducky was extremely thrilled to learn more about this new creature but she did not yet know how to communicate her thoughts and feelings. All she knew was how to show her mood. She would smile when she was happy and would do the opposite when she was not. But that wouldn’t help her here, would it? Suddenly, Ducky knew how to greet this fuzzy ball. Neither did she know how it was called nor if it was the right thing to do but, deep inside, she just knew this was how to show that you liked another living creature…

“I will hug it, yep, yep, yep!”

In a swift motion, Ducky leapt on top of it though it didn’t quite have the desired effect. The ground fuzzy squeaked in fear when it noticed the young dinosaur hopping onto it, darting off as fast as its little legs could carry it. At first, Ducky was a little surprised, then slightly disappointed but that didn’t last long as her curious eyes had spotted yet another target worthy of her attention. It looked like a rock at first glance but, upon closer inspection, turned out to be a rock with a head attached to it. Approaching the unknown creature, Ducky saw it opening its mouth wide, exposing its mouth.

“Hmm, what does it want me to do?”

Again, the young swimmer didn’t quite understand what the best reaction would be so she just relied on instinct one more which was in tight control of her adventurous side. She approached.

The creature, a snapping turtle of sorts, opened its jaws even wider, happy to see its prey just walk right into its belly, when, suddenly, a big dinosaur jumped into its view, stealing its kill just in time.

“You silly girl…” her mother had to chuckle despite the potentially life-threatening situation her little Ducky had just gotten herself into. Children could be so innocent, especially in their earliest days when they were still pure and unharmed by the cruel world around them. The more they learned, the more they knew and the more they experienced, their innocence was getting lost over time. But they had to grow up some day - and in this world, the sooner the better…

“Huh? What happened?”

Ducky, completely unaware of the danger she’d been into, suddenly felt herself grabbed by the tail, being lifted up from the ground with seemingly no effort. Her first thought being how cool it was to be detached from the ground, to see things from above, see the creature looking after her angrily and feeling completely free, the young child soon noticed a huge body next to her which sparked up her curiosity again. Who was this? And why did they lift her up from the ground like that so suddenly? Were they even friendly? At least, upon taking a second glance at the snapping turtle, Ducky concluded that it may not have been as inviting as she had first thought. Maybe the big creature came to rescue her? Maybe it wanted her back to the place where her little adventure started in the first place? The girl couldn’t really remember all that well what way she’d been going, especially so from her airborne position that gave her a unique perspective on the landscape below her but she had a feeling they were walking the way she came from.

After some seconds, the swimmer was tired of dangling in the air. She was burning to see who was carrying her now so, with a mighty effort, she put her stomach muscles to use to lift her head up so she could take a fair look at whoever was holding her by the tail. Whoever they were, they looked a lot like her and they were looking at her. Eyes meeting, Ducky immediately recognized this particular specimen. It was the presence she’d always felt way before she could hear, way before she could even see anything - back, when there was still room in her egg and when she was constantly dosing. It was the voice she’d always hear talking to her and her siblings. Now that left only one problem…

“How do I have to react?”

Ducky’s attempts at making new acquaintances hadn’t exactly been fruitful thus far. What if she made this special dinosaur mad at her? Unlike the flying buzzer, the little fuzzy and the biting rock though, this dinosaur was giving her a wide smile. Ducky just felt loved just by being looked at! How could this go wrong? There was no need to think about it further, Ducky knew who this special dinosaur was and how much she loved her already. She would go straight ahead and greet her. Although she didn’t know the meaning of words and how to utter them correctly yet, there had been one word she’d always been hearing when this wonderful dinosaur had spoken to her so she decided to try saying that word along with a happy smiley face, laughing a little as she did so.

“Hehehe… mommy…”

As Ducky soon realised, she was being transported back to the nest, being smiled at constantly. As soon as she was gently placed next to be siblings which had managed to struggle free from their encasements, she also recognized the other two presences she’d felt since she could remember - and their voices were even more beautiful than she remembered! Overflowing with joy, she got to meet her brothers and sisters at last, engaging in an improvised group hug of sorts before being nuzzled tenderly by her mother.

The whole family was rejoicing. The hatchlings were happy, exploring their new world and their parents were just happy that they were all well and safe. In this harsh world, it meant so much and it would give them new energy for the problems and hardships to overcome each and every day because now they had a mission - a task that they just mustn’t mess up… to raise their children to live in a hopefully better world than the one they were born into.

The Flyer looked around worriedly. Each and every second, something could sneak up on her nest so she had to be watchful while her mate was out searching for food. It had become ever so tedious to find enough food to last themselves but now they had to care for their children as well, adding to the challenge of survival. A whole bunch of little, ugly and penetrant creatures were squeaking, their beaks, huge in comparison to the rest of their bodies, widely opened in expectation of food raining into them - only things weren’t that easy, unfortunately. Food didn’t rain from the sky and neither did water since the big drought had started. No matter where to go, the situation was the same everywhere.

While she was waiting for her mate to return, the female cast a look at the only egg that hadn’t hatched yet. Now it wasn’t unusual that some eggs needed more time than others but this one had been reluctant to hatch for the last two days now. It was too early to draw any conclusions but she was slowly beginning to wonder if this particular egg might have been a failure. However, the shrieks of the hatchlings that had already hatched were too obnoxious to be thinking straight - nor to be ignored for long.

It wasn’t much later that day that the parents decided reluctantly to go searching for food simultaneously, knowing that they’d leave their offspring unprotected while they were out. It was a necessary risk they had to take though. Food was so scarce that it was hard to satisfy the hunger of their children when they gave them all there was to find. How long could they do, sacrificing themselves? Unless one of them found a plentiful resource of food nearby, they would have to give up most of their children in order to save themselves. A necessary sacrifice but cruel nonetheless. It was also what inspired the two flyers to enlarge the radius of their search that day, knowing there wasn’t much left in the immediate area around their nest.

It was evening when the female finally returned to their nest, worn out and demotivated. She had barely found enough food to feed a small junk to each of the kids who were suspiciously quiet when she arrived. They seemed to have gone so hungry that they were running too low on energy to scream for food and they fell asleep immediately after the meager meal. It wasn’t until then that the female noticed that something was off. She hadn’t been too worried to see the egg gone from her nest, assuming the little flyer had finally made it but, upon counting them, the realised that the egg, in fact, had gone missing!

Her first reaction was panic. Even though she couldn’t care less considering how hard it was just to feed a single little beak, she still loved every child or hers more than she loved herself. She’d do anything for them, she’d be a good mother to them, cost what it will! Taking a few deep breaths, she calmed herself to a point where rational thinking began to work again. There was always the possibility that one of the hatchlings were blown out of the nest by a particularly strong gust of wind or be pushed out by one of their siblings despite the wall that was build around their nest to prevent just that. She had to rule down a possible act of predation. If a predator was responsible for this, it meant they knew where their nest was and would surely come back for dessert at a later point!

“Egg shell?”

A good indicator of what may have happened was the egg shell. If it was still there in the nest, it probably meant that the kid was either eaten after hatching or pushed out. However, there was none. That left little to assume. The egg was probably stolen and gone. A formidable loss but at least only one life was taken that day. The female was ready to mourn when, suddenly, she heard the flapping sound of another flyer - her mate! He didn’t make straight for the nest though, aiming for the ground below them.

“What is he up to?” the female wondered, her mind a little dull after the apparent loss. Soon after, the male made for the nest, carrying a very familiar sight in his beak.

“This kid is going places. Hardly hatched, it’s already adventuring!”

“He wasn’t eaten, thank the Bright Circle for that!” the female exclaimed, the relief falling from her visibly like a rock from the sky - or a hatchling from the nest, one may argue. The young mother had no idea how the whole egg could have fallen from the nest. Surely the other hatchlings couldn’t have pushed the whole egg from the nest… could they?

“I- I thought the egg was…” the female stammered but her mate smiled.

“Nope, must have fallen from the nest somehow. I tell you, this one will be an adventurer through and through just like your brother!” the male spoke, joking a little as he gently placed the shaking youngling among his siblings, stirring awake from all the action around them. “Seems to be a bit shaky but I’m sure he took the fall like a tough flyer!” As he spoke, the obnoxious begging for food began anew so the male started feeding one by one until their bellies were full up to the top.

“Seems like you got lucky?” the female eventually offered with mild interest, smiling weakly.

“Found food to last us all for a while!” he promptly announced proudly. “It’s far away but it has enough food to feed us as well and not just the kids. We could just eat our fill there and return home.”

“That’s great!” the female exclaimed happily. “Maybe we could even go back to taking turns?”

“Probably, yeah,” the male responded. “It’s getting dark but I could show you right now if you like. The darkness will protect the young ones a little at least while we’re gone once more.”

“I’m tired but you have a point, dear… and I'm  hungry... let’s go!”

And so, the growing family of flyers managed to survive a little longer in the perilous environment, their children growing fine… although one had developed a huge fear of heights...

Nobody really commented on the first chapter, that was odd :unsure:

Anyway, here's the next chapter at last. No promises but I'll be submitting this to the fanfiction voting so I've gotta work my ass off to get this one here off the ground at last  :bang

Hope you enjoyed some more birth scenes. I was trying not to get too repetitive :p What do you think of Petrie's birth scene? Well, it wasn't actually on-screen (on-script?  :blink: ) but... I'm wondering what you think of it? I was trying to explain his quirks with this one as you may have noticed (and if you haven't, you know it now  :p )

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
This was a pretty nice retelling of the the trio's births. I enjoyed the situations you built around them, especially with Petrie. His family's backstory seems to be more difficult and the fliers' thoughts about having to sacrifice their children brings a new aspect to the situation. I also liked the fact that you included Petrie's father here even if it's most likely that his future will be far from a happy one.  :(petrie Overall, the novelty of this scene made it the most interesting here!  :)

I also enjoyed the two other births here. The descriptions about the thoughts of the newborn were well done and it was fun to see them take their first steps in the world. Sure, we knew what happened already but as I said, you managed to build some more story around these events which may be one of the most important things here. Also, the births themselves were done in an adorable way!  :yes You managed to keep them from repeating themselves and that is a nice thing in itself! I'll look forward to seeing this and your other entries in the fanfic contest.  :goodluck

Littlefoot fan 1990

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://vitaniandkovulover.deviantart.com/
I like how you added more dialogue for Cera's birth scene; and also the added touch of her parents emotional responses to seeing their eggs hatch. And another part was when the mom suggested that she helped Cera hatch from her egg and that her dad stated that a threehorn doesn't need any help and would never become strong if the parents help too much.

As for Petrie's birth scene, I like how you put it in; I always wondered why it hasn't been included in the movie.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This was a pretty nice retelling of the the trio's births. I enjoyed the situations you built around them, especially with Petrie. His family's backstory seems to be more difficult and the fliers' thoughts about having to sacrifice their children brings a new aspect to the situation. I also liked the fact that you included Petrie's father here even if it's most likely that his future will be far from a happy one.  sadpetrie_by_rockingscorpion-d9nxkqn.png Overall, the novelty of this scene made it the most interesting here!  smile.gif

I also enjoyed the two other births here. The descriptions about the thoughts of the newborn were well done and it was fun to see them take their first steps in the world. Sure, we knew what happened already but as I said, you managed to build some more story around these events which may be one of the most important things here. Also, the births themselves were done in an adorable way!  in-yes.gif You managed to keep them from repeating themselves and that is a nice thing in itself! I'll look forward to seeing this and your other entries in the fanfic contest.  luck.gif
Thank you very much! I guess the long hiatus was broken with an enjoyable chapter at least :p

I like how you added more dialogue for Cera's birth scene; and also the added touch of her parents emotional responses to seeing their eggs hatch. And another part was when the mom suggested that she helped Cera hatch from her egg and that her dad stated that a threehorn doesn't need any help and would never become strong if the parents help too much.

As for Petrie's birth scene, I like how you put it in; I always wondered why it hasn't been included in the movie.
Thanks! Yeah, that was too in-character for good ol' Threehorn, just had to add something like this :D

Petrie birth scene... no idea. Maybe they thought three are enough (plus Spike later)?