The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

VHS vs DVD vs HD The Land Before Time

Justin1993

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
So, I was running my DVD of The Land Before Time and my HD to compare and I noticed a difference in both versions. Below are 2 screenshots of the place where I noticed this.
DVD:

(resized)HD:

I think it's pretty obvious what I saw. As you can see, the DVD version has the sides of the shot reduced, while the top and bottom are increased. The HD version is the exact opposite. There's more on the sides and less on the top and bottom. After noticing this, I went and watched the VHS I recently bought (1994 copy) and found that version is missing more on the sides than the DVD. I don't have my camera to take a screenshot because my sister took it, but the part on the sides where you can see sharptooth's crazy look in both the DVD and HD versions can't be seen in my VHS copy.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Now it only remains to check out 35 mm Land Before Time.  :D

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I wonder why it is like that.  2 different masters, or some other reason.

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
This is from a finnish retail VHS... looks same as DVD:

NeptuneNavigator2001

• Timeless Wanderer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Trust in love, and never give up...
    • View Profile
It may have something to do with modifying the aspect ratio from fullscreen to widescreen, or vice versa.  On a side note: LBT was released in high-def?  Hmm - guess I'll have to look into it. ;)
"And the Most High said unto Moses, Ahayah-Asher-Ahayah.  And he said, Thus shalt thou say to the children of Israel, Ahayah hath sent me unto you...  This is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations."

1953-2011...  One day, mother, I shall see you again...