The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Darwin's Soldiers RP Thread

Serris · 58 · 12755

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I forgot to make a discussion thread for this RP.

Discuss plot twists, characters or anything relating to this RP here.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Woah, I didn't know we had one of these!

Here's what I was thinking for the terrorist commanders plan, and what I've been setting up. The terrorists plan to use the base's technology to create an Einstein-Rosen bridge, a sort of "tunnel" to an alternate dimension. Their hope is that the terrorists and scientists from the other dimension will have weakened each other so much, that they can sweep up the pieces and own the parallel-universe base.

The reason they're trying to capture Lockdown (the prisoner from cell 8Z in the sublevels, who doesn't appear to have powers) is because his power is actually to transform matter into antimatter, a crucial phase for the bridge.

Things I've already included to hint at this plan:

1. The commander tells Hans to supervise the transport of large concave mirrors. Those are the framework for the bridge.

2. He describes Lockdown's power as "transmutation."

3. He actually calls it an "Einstein-Rosen bridge" in dialogue.

I was thinking that they need control of the AWTR because some of the experimental weaponry is necessary for the bridge to work.

Serris, if you had anything else planned for the terrorists' master plan, this one could easily be shortened to just a secondary plan, or the real plan could be put into motion by an ambitious terrorist lieutenant, who siezes control once the Einstein-Rosen bridge is destroyed.

What does everyone think?

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
My original plot was that the terrorists decided to kill everyone in the base to make a political statement. Unbeknownst to everyone, the rogue scientists have been working on "Dragonstorm" and they planned used the experiments to stage a revolution, using the chaos caused by the attack as cover.

--------

But anyways, I LOVE this idea! I don't know what everyone else thinks about it. I was originally aiming for a "hard SF" slant but this might be an interesting twist.

I can SO see an interdimensional battle taking place.

An alternate plot I was working on linked these rogue scientists and terrorists. There it is implied that these rogue scientists caused the terrorist attack to test their experiments.

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Would the terrorists understand that they were part of a test, or did the rogue scientists set it up so the terrorists thought they were attacking of their own volition?

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: LettuceBacon&Tomato,Nov 22 2008 on  01:03 AM
Would the terrorists understand that they were part of a test, or did the rogue scientists set it up so the terrorists thought they were attacking of their own volition?
I had planned it so that to everyone (except the rogue scientists) that it looked like the terrorists attacked of their own accord.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Cool. That's what I was hoping.

Also, once the bridge is created, I wasn't sure about who should invade who/where. I was going to play it by ear.
Should "our universe's" terrorists successfully invade the other universe? Should our characters be forced to follow them? Or should the other universe attack ours? Or some of both, maybe, with characters going back and forth?
Also, should the other universe be a "mirror" universe, with counterparts to our characters? (One thing that might be funny, what if the other universe is the RP going on at Furtopia?)

I think I'm asking too many questions too quickly. Let's hear people's opinions on the idea in general before going into detail.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I think the best way would to do a little bit of both.

But realistically, I doubt these "combat scientists" will be following the terrorists into the bridge.

But it might be an interesting plot concept to have a character be forced into following the terrorists into the alternate universe. Not too sure how that will go over.

As for the alternate universe being the RP at Furtopia, that would be completely awesome. However, it may be very difficult to make it work without being cheesy or unintentionally hilarious. But then you have the problem of the other players.

The other universe could be a "mirror" but the "alternate universe counterpart" thing sounds a bit too close to a cheesy SF flick for comfort. That's not to say that the alternate universe characters won't be able to interact with our characters.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
You're right.

To be honest, intitially, I was going to have the bridge work, but nobody would get the opportunity to go through it, we destroy the thing before the terrorists get through. But I'd never thought of an interdimensional battle. That's a cool idea also. Cooler, actually.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: LettuceBacon&Tomato,Nov 22 2008 on  01:16 AM
You're right.

To be honest, intitially, I was going to have the bridge work, but nobody would get the opportunity to go through it, we destroy the thing before the terrorists get through. But I'd never thought of an interdimensional battle. That's a cool idea also. Cooler, actually.
I think we should slow down a little on the brainstorming.

As for the interdimensional battle, again, it's a cool idea in theory but I'm wary of this because of the possibility that unintentional hilarity could result.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
Honestly, I'm not sure about this intedimensional battle idea.  So far, the idea of a war between the heroes, the terrorists, the Dragonstorm scientists, and the sub-level experiments inside a secret military compound cut off the rest of the world seems like my cup of tea.  Almost like a furry Resident Evil or other sci-fi/horror game.  But I'll keep along with a few curve balls I might throw at ya.

ANYway, I'm going away for Thanksgiving weekend, so I'll be gone tomorrow til Monday.

rosie

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I am more concern if evolution starts going haywire and doesn't work like it is suppose to.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
could someone update me on whats going on in the RP?

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Briefing:

Well,

Hans and Werner met in the control room.

James and his group along with Dr. Joe, Snow, Neku, Hawkeye go back to the control room.

The rogue Dragonstorm scientists are out looking for James.

I introduced a new character.

James and Zachary and Vic are searching a lab and trying to open a door (behind which the new character is).

The group is planning to search the sub levels.

That's the basics, read over the topic and you should be back in the game soon.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Actually, I'm with Mirumoto_Kenjiro, even though it was my idea in the first place. I still think the terrorists should create the Einstein-Rosen bridge, but we should destroy it before anyone has the opportunity to go in or out of it. (That also means the alternate universe could easily be Furtopia's RP, since we just can get a glimpse of it before the bridge shuts down. We wouldn't have to interact with them at all, but the stories would be connected.)

Also, f-22, new update, everyone except Hans, Werner and Shelton just left the control room. We're on our own again, and nothing new has happened with either of our characters.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
This is regards to the most recent post today:

LB&T: you asked how to justify the datafile before, I'll work that in an IC conversation. It's your decision on what the justification is.

If no one minds, I'm going to place James in a little hostage situation.

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Also, I have considered splitting the RP in to 2 parts.

The first part (the one that's running) deals with the terrorist assault and the Einstein-Rosen Bridge.

The second part deals with the Dragonstorm scientists and the rogue experiments.

I will await the opinions before I actually do decide to do the split.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
What do you mean by "split?" Just two plotlines in one story, or there's literally two threads, one called Darwins Soldiers:Dragonstorm? I'd prefer the former.

Also, f-22, what are you doing? Are you planning on making something constructive out of these two posts:

Quote from: f-22 "raptor" ace on Dec 3 2008 on  10:28 AM
"Anybody up some poker,' hans asked holding up a deck of playing cards.

Quote from: f-22 "raptor" ace on Dec 3 2008 on  11:02 PM
A terrorist seperated from his buddies walked into the lab and after seeing the bear screamed like a little girl before dropping his gun and saying "Please don't kill me!'

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
yes I thought it would be interesting if one of the terrorists who was picked on a lot by his buddies was captured by dragonstrom scientists and the first one was to break up the stressful situation situation in the control room.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Just throwing this out there: Could I have the Dragonstorm scientists in the control room overthrow the current inhabitants and hold them hostage? I thought that may provide an interesting conundrum: James & co. would have to take the control room by force, and all the systems of the base, like auto turrets and door locks, could be used against them.

If anyone wants their characters around to be held hostage, have them come up to the control room. Right now, we've got Werner (f-22), Shelton (me), and Kerzach (Serris). It sounds like Hans & the Cobalts are going to leave to help in the cafeteria, so they won't be held hostage.

If you're all okay with this idea, I'm going to have the coup happen once any more Dragonstorm scientists from the kitchen are captured and stored in the control room, and our heroes have progressed down into the sublevels (probably after l the action is done in the sublevels; no need to interrupt what's already happened.)

Serris

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Hmm. I like this idea, puts a totally new twist on things.

Kerzach is fair game. Even though he is a Cassowary with a switchblade and toe claws, he is no match for the Dragonstorm scientists.

Wait, I forgot to mention if James and co. confiscated the captive's weapons.