The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

A Journey Beyond

AvestheForumFox

• The Circle
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bullockarts.net
Young Denton lay awake looking up at the stars. It was late, his mother lay close by asleep. It would seem that all in the valley would have been asleep as well, but the eternal chirping of insects and small toads would make it seem otherwise.

As the young longneck lay looking up at the cosmos he'd study each star, some would seem to twinkle others just stayed perfectly lit. Some were bright, others were dim, Denton was fascinated by them and he'd often wonder in silence about them

The moon was at mid peak now, full and bright, an ominous dead-like grin smiling down upon the sleeping valley, Denton never liked the look of it, there was something about that giant orb of white light that always spooked him but he could never figure it out.

It was indeed late, but Denton was having trouble getting to sleep. Those past few nights before he had been having terrible dreams. But when he would awaken he would remember nothing about them, except that they were truly terrible and he felt very bothered about trying to get back to sleep. He, being the ever shy creature that he was never spoke of these dreams, but the few that were friends with him started to notice that he started to grow increasingly more and more tired each day.

Denton knew he needed his sleep, but he feared the strange nightmare that kept haunting him, but even as he tried to fight off sleep this night, he felt his eyelids starting to give out, he was too weak to fight any more and so he gave in, his eyes snapped shut and he was swept away once more into that recurring nightmare.

He awoke finding all about him in complete darkness, a cold breeze blew constantly around him and he had the feeling of absolute loneliness, he cried for his mother but she was nowhere to be seen or heard, the only sound came from the howling wind. Suddenly the sky above lit up, a bright and terrible light came erupting from the west and it shot into the east and at a terrifying rate before disappearing behind the mountains, lighting up the clouds around it as it went. The wind went silent and Denton stood shaken by the terrible sighting, he knew not what to make of it.

Then suddenly...

BOOM!

Denton awoke suddenly, his ears ringing from the terrible sound from his dream, or was it really from his dream?

The whole valley was now awakened and it was still night. Everyone seemed disturbed by something and they were all looking towards the western walls of the valley. Behind those walls there seemed to be an eerie glow illuminating the sky. Denton's mother was already up with the other adults and they each spoke in hushed voices.

"What is that strange light? What was that horrible sound?"

"It shook the valley whatever it was!"

"Should we go investigate?"

"No! Its beyond the valley... it would be much too dangerous."

Denton slowly made his way towards the silent meeting, he looked around to see who all was there, his mother was busy conversing with the other valley inhabitants so he dared not interrupt her. He still crept near looking to see if any of his friends were there hoping they'd know more about what was going on.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Zaine was at this point completely awake after the loud boom. He had no idea what it was, but seeing all the grown-ups frantically whispering to each other didn't make things any more settling. "What was that?" he tried asking one of the adults. Unfortunately, everybody was too preocupied to really answer him back. Something really feels off here. All of the grown-ups are really scared. Are we under attack? Zaine then noticed one of his friends, Denton, was also walking around. Zaine approached him, hoping he would know something. "Denton," he asked his friend, "what's going on? Why are all the grown-ups so startled?"

AvestheForumFox

• The Circle
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"I dont know" Denton replied "I woke up from a loud noise... and there's a strange light beyond the walls... I .. I thought it was all in my dreams!"

ooc: sorry for the delayed response, I was giving others time to join in before I did anything. This is a minor post for that reason :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Petrie had gone out to check to see if his friends were ok, while many of his siblings were still cowering in fear in their home.  

---

Mim was over with the other adults, thinking if she wanted to remain with them or just go away from the adults who would often rather argue then do anything.  

----

"Heh, I hope it landed on a sharptooth's head.  It would serve them right." Mia said laughing a bit.  "Or if it scared some farther away from the Great Valley."  Though she was glad whatever it was didn't really hit in the direction where Deon's herd lived.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
Longtail despite everything that had just transpired had amazingly remained asleep as if the loud sound had no effect. He rolled over on his side as he felt someone poking him. He began to kick at the disturbance hoping it would go away. Unfortunately a rather rough shove to his belly woke him up with a start. "W-what... is it?" he asked obviously irritated with being woken up.

Cyrix looked down at his nephew with an annoyed look of his own.
"Longtail, the valley could be in trouble." He then looked up at the valley's eastern most wall and was struck speechless.

Longtail looked over as well and seemed confused. "Uncle... what is that glowing on the other side of the Great Wall?" he asked quietly.

Cyrix took that moment to shake his head clear, and replied, "We need to find someone down on the valley floor who might know what's going on." And with that, the duo departed the northern valley wall where their cave was located and searched out the others.

"Zaine, Denton!" said Longtail with a sigh of relief upon finding two of his friends safe. "what is going on around here?" he asked genuinely confused.

AvestheForumFox

• The Circle
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Denton repeated his explanation to Longtail

Meanwhile Serius the elderly swimmer joined in amongst the adults who were still discussing the strange light beyond the wall and the noise that came before it.

"If I may have a word on this, I advise everybody calm down and get back to your sleeping. I'm sure that whatever it was that caused that loud bang and whatever caused that eerie glow beyond the wall is nothing of danger to us. We can talk more on it tomarrow." Said Serius. The others just looked at him.

"Arent you the least bit frightened by whatever it was? It shook the entire valley!"

"Yeah, and it lit up the sky too! I was awake to see the whole thing!"

Serius simply shook his head "It came and it went. Nothing more will come of it now. Let us be at peace."

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Cyrix smiled and nodded his head.
"I suppose you are right Serius."

Longtail was worried about what Denton had told him, but upon hearing his uncle speak he turned his head and glared at the rainbowface. "You mean to tell me I could've kept sleeping?!" he commented a bit loudly.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Mim shook her head and left the area where the adults were talking, guessing they would likely start arguing and get nothing done.   Which was why she seldom came to these meetings.  It seemed from what she had heard and observed if anything needed doing then some kids would do it.  

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Zaine became a bit worried. Nobody had any idea what was going on, but it seemed like some of the adults were trying to calm everybody down. "How can everybody be so calm? Clearly something is going on here." He looked over to Longtail, his closest friend in the valley. "What do you think about all of this Longtail? Clearly something happened that the adults do not want us to know about."

AvestheForumFox

• The Circle
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
"What makes you think they dont want us to know about it?" asked Denton giving Zaine a curious look, "they've been too busy talking to each to even talk to us yet..."

Just then the adults began to depart from their meeting and went their separate ways. Denton's mother called to him to join her

"Sorry guys, I've got to go... let's meet up tomorrow!" Then he hurried off leaving Zaine and Longtail to their own business.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Mim looked back seeing some adults leaving, "I'm surprised. I expected them to argue for most of the night." Mim said.  

--------------

"It's all over?  with nothing decided?  What a waste of time." Mia said to those nearby.  
She wondered what Deon's herd would make of whatever happened & if they'd do anything.

--------------

Petrie didn't see any of his friends so decided to head back to his family's nest since it was still late and it seemed like nothing was going to happen that night.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Longtail smiled and waved as Denton returned to his nest with his mother. "Good night Denton." he said as he turned to face Zaine once more. "Honestly... if my uncle hadn't been so persistent in waking me tonight... I would have slept through this whole ordeal. Where are you sleeping tonight? I might be able to stay with you and we can talk about whatever this problem might be." he said with a tired sounding yawn.

Cyrix stepped over to the two boys and asked, "I trust you two, but please, if you're going to sneak off and do something dangerous... and I know you will.. can it at least wait until morning." with a pleading sound in his voice to both Longtail and Zaine.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
"Ok Denton!" he called out to his friend. He then looked over to Longtail. "I'm not staying too far away. If it's ok with your uncle, we could head back now." Zaine laughed at Longtail's yawn. "You sound like you want to catch up on a lot of sleep." When Cyrix approached them and pleaded they not go adventuring until morning, Zaine became even more curious. "Why? What's so dangerous? Nobody has even mentioned what happened, so how can we know if there is something dangerous out there? You wouldn't happen to know anything, would you?"

AvestheForumFox

• The Circle
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
ooc: I'll leave this scene open just out of curiosity of how this conversation may end.. but rap it up asap so I can move the story forward :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
"That was a dud meeting I bet." Mia said as she shrugged and started to head where her family's sleeping place was, not to far from where her friend Diver's family nest was.  She did hope Deon was doing ok out where he was.  

---

Mim headed back to her sleeping place to go back to sleep.

----

Petrie went back to sleep as best as he could.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Cyrix gave Zaine a cryptic look and asked, "I know, only as much as you think I know..."

Longtail yawned again glancing at his uncle as he replied, "Yeah, yeah... can I just go back to sleep?!" He then yawned again and gently climbed onto Zaines back with a smile.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Zaine eyed up Cyrix skeptically. Something about the way he said that didn't feel right. Zaine was almost ready to respond "Then you obviously know something", but after Longtail jumped on his back he refrained. "Ok then. We're heading back to my nest now. See you tomorrow." With that, he turned and headed back to his sleeping area, making sure Longtail didn't fall off. When they got a considerable distance away, he thought to himself. Cyrix is definitely hiding something, but what? I'll worry about it tomorrow.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Cyrix smiled as he heard Zaines response. He waited until Zaine was out of sight and then turned to look over at the strange glow over the valley wall. "This... might be a chance to change somethings."

Longtail was already asleep on Zaines back snoring softly with a smile on his face.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
((OOC: Aves if you are ready to progress on, you may do so. I don't think we are planning on pushing the conversation forward anymore.))

AvestheForumFox

• The Circle
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
ooc: yeah, my apology for the two day slack... well, here goes!

It was late morning, but one could never really tell with the bleak dark clouds that rolled over the world beyond the valley walls.

Two lone threehorns trekked across this desolate land towards a violently rolling column of black clouds that emitted from a large crater.

The two dinosaurs were Groffis and his older brother Theadin, both notorious characters, long banished from the valley for picking fights due to their indifference towards the other species who dwelled there.

They were now curious of the distant crater that was bellowing the black ash-like clouds. It was the destination of the meteor that fell the night before, and from that crater there still emitted a strange glow, though much more dimmer than before and only noticeable as it reflected ominously upon the cloud pillar from below.

"What do you suppose it is?" asked Groffis.

"I'm not sure." Replied Theadin, "But I think I've heard stories of such things.... These great mountains of fire crashing into the land from the skies... Really scary stuff!"

"What do you suppose father would think of such?" asked Groffis.

"Who cares what father would have thought?!? He's long dead! Why do you keep asking me about him anyway? He was nothing more than a big stupid brute!"

Before Groffis could respond to his brother's rant Thaedin shushed him  with a glare.

"Let's just check this strange smoking hole out and get on about or day already!"

"Of course, brother..." replied Groffis and he said nothing more.

The land before them sloped slightly upwards before dipping into the bowl-like crater, they were much closer now and the billowing column of clouds loomed like a black demon god from some terrible unknown abyss far beneath the earth's crust.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Upon waking up, Denton had hurried to get his friends, he was planning to climb the walls to see what he could find out about the strange happenings the night before. Even if it meant disobeying his mother or the other adults.

The skies were dark gray in the valley as they were in the land beyond, and there was a strange smell in the air. Not a very nice morning indeed!