The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

War in movies

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I've been wondering about the presentation of war in movies. There are quite a few things about how war can be presented in movies and quite different responses to it from the audience.
First of all we have the question of blood and it is very difficult to draw a line on what is okay and what is not. In fact I don't think that there is such a thing as okay here as again it depends very much on how it is perceived.
No blood at all spares people what many of them don't want to see. Yet it also creates a picture of war that is much more harmless than reality. It creates the false image of a "clean" war that does not exist.
The other extreme is blood and guts being spilled all over the screen as we see it in many movies ranging from "Saving Private Ryan" to "We were Soldiers". That image of war is more realistic, no doubt about that. But how will it be percieved? Does the displaying of that face of war make the majority of the audience hate the concept of war? Or do many people more or less secretly enjoy the sight of blood and gore so if they see it all the time they begin to become less sensitive about it being spilled in real life? Or are many people outraged at this being shown on the screen (demanding the "clean" depiction of war I descriped above)?
Very often the fighting is accompanied by really splendid music. Music most of us (including myself) love and which fills us with emotions which I think are intended by the creators of the movies. I am doubting though that the emotions created by that mix of music and massacre is what people felt and feel who are involved in war themselves often not accompanied by gorgeous music.
One thing we have sometimes (but not as often anymore as it used to be the case) is that people are either dead or alive. Except for the heroes who were unable to die we often didn't have any wounded with all the screams and pleas and madness which is part of war's reality.
One of the things that is to this day not very common in movies is showing the longtime results of war. We often have a few seconds or minutes in which people are mourning the "casualties" but we are not really pushed to realize that every single one of the thousands of people killed in war had a family, parents, wifes, husbands, children who will not grieve for a moment, an hour, or a day but for a lifetime. Many people "decay" (I found no more appropriate term) from what war did to them even if they were not involved in the fighting or else were involved in it but got away physically unscratched. Movies don't usually mention this.
You will have a hard time finding a single war movie which doesn't send the message accross that the people who died (at least the "goodies") died for a just cause. Usually you will see a flag (again with beautiful music) and people saluting to it or the like. Often somebody will hold a speech telling that the people didn't die in vain. Is that the way we want to see war?
Often we have "the good" and "the bad". If motivations of "the bad" are mentioned at all this is often done very superficially or (just like the mourning) in a few moments.
Sometimes historical facts are falsified in movies to the degree that one might think that the war is still going on and the movie is a piece of propaganda supporting one of the sides fighting it.
I daresay we all like to watch movies which include war. I like watching many of them and I doubt any of you could really claim not to be affected the one way or the other in which war is presented on the screen.
Above I have written a kind of list of random thoughts about the matter. I am not exactly trying to push through a particular point (maybe something as horrible as war cannot be shown in a manner that really does justice to those who are affected by it) but I suppose that there are quite a few points we can discuss.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
First of all we have the question of blood and it is very difficult to draw a line on what is okay and what is not. In fact I don't think that there is such a thing as okay here as again it depends very much on how it is perceived.
No blood at all spares people what many of them don't want to see. Yet it also creates a picture of war that is much more harmless than reality. It creates the false image of a "clean" war that does not exist.
Very true. Though, personally, I think that both ways of presenting war works. On one hand, restraint on the behalf of the filmmakers is often a good thing, but it does create to illusion of a "clean" war to the more naive amongst us, whereas the realistic, graphic depiction creates the perfect picture of the reality, on the other hand, those films are most often very difficult to stomach.
Anyway, I think that as long as all the different ways of telling a war story are used: we should be just fine, and the "blood-free" war movies creating a clean image for war wouldn't be a problem if we took more care to make sure people are informed on the matter outside of movies.

The other extreme is blood and guts being spilled all over the screen as we see it in many movies ranging from "Saving Private Ryan" to "We were Soldiers". That image of war is more realistic, no doubt about that. But how will it be percieved? Does the displaying of that face of war make the majority of the audience hate the concept of war? Or do many people more or less secretly enjoy the sight of blood and gore so if they see it all the time they begin to become less sensitive about it being spilled in real life? Or are many people outraged at this being shown on the screen (demanding the "clean" depiction of war I descriped above)?
I don't think anyone can ever give a single answer to that question.

Very often the fighting is accompanied by really splendid music. Music most of us (including myself) love and which fills us with emotions which I think are intended by the creators of the movies. I am doubting though that the emotions created by that mix of music and massacre is what people felt and feel who are involved in war themselves often not accompanied by gorgeous music.
Unless we actually do fight in wars, nothing can make us feel what those soldiers feel/felt, and I think adding the dramatic takes us the closest we ever will. Anyway, a battle is a dramatic event, and it only makes sense that dramatic music (or sometimes, no music at all) would go along with it. I also don't think that the music is meant to make us feel unlifted about the carnage, regardless of how gorgeous it is.

One thing we have sometimes (but not as often anymore as it used to be the case) is that people are either dead or alive. Except for the heroes who were unable to die we often didn't have any wounded with all the screams and pleas and madness which is part of war's reality.
No comment.

One of the things that is to this day not very common in movies is showing the longtime results of war. We often have a few seconds or minutes in which people are mourning the "casualties" but we are not really pushed to realize that every single one of the thousands of people killed in war had a family, parents, wifes, husbands, children who will not grieve for a moment, an hour, or a day but for a lifetime. Many people "decay" (I found no more appropriate term) from what war did to them even if they were not involved in the fighting or else were involved in it but got away physically unscratched. Movies don't usually mention this.
Well, after you've already worn the audience down with grief, there is a stopping that you don't want to go past, but I see your point.

You will have a hard time finding a single war movie which doesn't send the message accross that the people who died (at least the "goodies") died for a just cause. Usually you will see a flag (again with beautiful music) and people saluting to it or the like. Often somebody will hold a speech telling that the people didn't die in vain. Is that the way we want to see war?
Would you rather believe a loved one died needlessly? The fact is is that the people who go to war know that they're gettting in deep (unless they're stupid), and possibly will not come out alive. They know the risk, and it's a part of the job of a soldier to be willing to die in a war. It is true that a lot of people die in horrible ways in war, but it's true: their deaths are often not in vain, because they did their part, and they did until they could do no more.

Often we have "the good" and "the bad". If motivations of "the bad" are mentioned at all this is often done very superficially or (just like the mourning) in a few moments.
Agreed, although I can easily just read the history books if I want to know what was going on with the other side.

Sometimes historical facts are falsified in movies to the degree that one might think that the war is still going on and the movie is a piece of propaganda supporting one of the sides fighting it.
I daresay we all like to watch movies which include war. I like watching many of them and I doubt any of you could really claim not to be affected the one way or the other in which war is presented on the screen.
Above I have written a kind of list of random thoughts about the matter. I am not exactly trying to push through a particular point (maybe something as horrible as war cannot be shown in a manner that really does justice to those who are affected by it) but I suppose that there are quite a few points we can discuss.
No comment, agree completely, and I do think that war is not something you can accurately portray on screen. It's just not possible.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I personally have only seen two dedicated "war" type movies, even if they're inaccurate--Glory, and U-571.  I could not watch Saving Private Ryan, and I couldn't bear to watch Schindler's List again...one time was enough.

The reason?  Who watches a movie to turn and face reality?  Movies usually serve the purpose of escaping from a harsh reality that war is sometimes inevitable.

Since I've hardly watched a war movie in my time, I won't comment on anything else, though I'm pretty sure all the parts about it being impossible to know what it truly feels like unless you're there, is probably correct.  That actually applies to anything.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I personally have only seen two dedicated "war" type movies, even if they're inaccurate--Glory, and U-571.
With the uncountable number of movies dealing with war it seems almost impossible you haven't seen any others. Star Wars shows it's own kind of war which is even part of the title (the kind with almost no blood and only heroes being able to be wounded rather than being alive or instantly dead (though hospitals are mentioned in Star Wars books which weren't made into movies), and so does the Lord of the Rings and countless other movies.
If it comes to the two movies you named Glory has a relatively accurate background though I suppose most of the dialogues between Shaw and his men are made up as are probably some of the characters. I'd have to read the letters of Shaw on which the movie was based to really decide about the matter of accuracy but the important events, battles, characters etc. are historically correct. One (a sort of pardonable error of the movie is that when they attack Fort Wagner the sea is on their left. However as they approached from the south it ought to have been on their right).
U-571 is almost bare of any historical facts at all.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Star Wars is undoubtly fiction.  Any of those others I mentioned have paralled (to a point) a disaster in which we as humans truly have had to deal with.  There's an emotional difference between a ficticious battle or war of sorts, and one that truly affected mankind in some way.  Plus, as you added, SW pretty much left out the grusomeness that Saving Private Ryan for example, did not.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yet I when I'm talking about war in movie I don't mean to limit it only to movies about historical events. Fiction or not movies such as Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and Narnia (whose clean image of war actually triggered me into starting this thread) all depict war. So you needn't "plead" ignorance ;) Join the discussion.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Ok, whatever since I'm here and all....

I'd say that people more likely look for some type of action in a film that is clealy fiction (SW and LOTR), but get their heartstrings pulled when watching something like Saving Private Ryan because for better or for worse, that was real at one time.  So its the difference between wanting an opportunity to show off special effects on a widescreen versus reaching for tissues....

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The main difference between historical and fictional war in movies is that there is almost always a clear line between good and evil in fiction that can be seen by the mere fact that the "baddies" are ugly. War like we would "want" to have it -_-

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
^ All depends on whose side your own...the 'goodies' to one side are the 'baddies' to another.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Not in movies, it doesn't. The huge majority of movies doesn't allow you to choose sides. There is always one side presented as good and the other one as bad so you have very little choice on whom to side with.
Would you rather believe a loved one died needlessly? The fact is is that the people who go to war know that they're gettting in deep (unless they're stupid), and possibly will not come out alive. They know the risk, and it's a part of the job of a soldier to be willing to die in a war. It is true that a lot of people die in horrible ways in war, but it's true: their deaths are often not in vain, because they did their part, and they did until they could do no more.
Would you rather believe a lie for which a loved one died rather than knowing about the truth that can help to prevent other loved ones to die?
I'm afraid this may make up for another thread, but take the example of Germany. Nobody in a right state of mind could possibly claim that any German soldier who died in WW2 died for a noble cause. They died working for one of the most horrible dictatorships in history which commited crimes beyond imagination.
I'm not going into details too much not to provoke anyone too much, but almost every single nation fought wars which cannot be justified from a humane point of view. Whether the cause of a war is considered noble later on still depends largely on who won the war. The majority of wars in human history was fought for the interests of a minority and fought by the majority that had nothing to gain from it but everything to loose. There is nothing noble about this. If people are attacked for such lower reasons they don't have any choice but to defend themselves and try to put an end to the thread. They usually make for the "goodies" in a movie, but not always.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Yeah, except, I've never seen any movies that showed Nazis in a positive light, nor have I seen any movies where the "sacrifice" a soldier made was a lie tol dby the filmmakers, unless it was historical fiction.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yeah, except, I've never seen any movies that showed Nazis in a positive light, nor have I seen any movies where the "sacrifice" a soldier made was a lie tol dby the filmmakers, unless it was historical fiction.
The nazis' crimes mustn't ever be shown in a positive light! They are too dark and hideous for that. It doesn't change the fact however that there were people in Germany's uniforms basically not too different from the people on the other sides. Not all of them but many committed hideous crimes, because they were ordered to, because they feared what would happen if they did not commit them, because they didn't care... There is a long list of motives why would do that and none of them can possibly serve to excuse their actions. Crimes have been committed by the soldiers of other nations as well, for the very same motives. There is no glory in this.
Maybe it is a tendency in a few German war movies to keep out that glory that makes people love the war. There are a few movies I can recommend you.
"Die Br¸cke" (the bridge). The movie is based on a true story that happened in the very last days of WW2. A group of teenage members of the Hitler youth is ordered to defend a bridge in their hometown. Not exactly an important strategic keypoint. They are quite indoctrinated though by hollow slogans such as "who defends a squaremeter of German ground defends Germany". They do manage to defend that bridge, but once they are done only one of the four kids is still alive. Then some grownup nazis turn up (who didn't bother to take part in the fight) intending to blow up the bridge for which the other kids paid with their lives and the last survivor chases them away. The movie closes with the words: "This happened on (date). It was so unimportant it wasn't mentioned in a single military report." Not exactly the kind of flagwaving glory we have in most movies, is it? Really I recommend you to watch it, it is one of the best I've ever seen. It got quite a number of awards too. Don't let yourselves be frightened away by the fact it is black and white (in color, not in characters).
This is the imdb page of Die Br¸cke
Another one is "Das Boot" (the boat). This one is actually quite famous so some of you may know it. Wolfgang Petersen had his breakthrough with this movie about a German submarine in WW2. Again, no glory but cruel reality. This is the imdb page ofDas Boot.
"Stalingrad" is a movie about... well the title is giving it away already. Again a movie without glorification and without attempts to show war any less hideous than it deserves to be shown. This is the imdb page of Stalingrad.
Finally you may be familiar with the book "Im Westen nichts neues" (All quiet on the Western Front) by Erich Maria Remarque. You really should read it if you haven't already. It is about WWI. There are two movies of this book. One in black and white, one in color. Both are good, but I recomend the black and white version of 1930 in particular. The nazis forbid that movie as it was sending the wrong (anti war) messages to their youth. This is the page of the black and white version: Im Westen nichts neues
And this is the color version: All quiet on the Western Front.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
For me personally, war movies arent exactly my ideal kind of movies to watch but I do like the captivation of some of them. Films like: All Quiet on the Western Front, Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers and Schindler's List (all movies I've seen). They do give a raw sense of passion and pride of rivalling forces at war which I think is excellent from a film critque point of view. For me, blood and guts don't bother me...amputations, disembowellings and excess blood spill doesn't make me think any less of a film (or game).

I have to admit, one war movie that really had me entranced was Tom Cruise's "The Last Samurai". It was beautifully crafted and the war scene was, in my humble opinion, the best I've seen in recent times. The story and representation of the culture and warring ways of the Samurai again the rest of developing Japan was incredible.

Having said that, I think the majority (if not all) war movies bring across the same message that war is ugly! There's nothing glamorous about the mindless slaughter of countrymen who may just have different ideals. I think movies portray that crystal clear to those who were/are fortunate enough not to have to experience fighting in one.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Having said that, I think the majority (if not all) war movies bring across the same message that war is ugly!
I can't help disagreeing on that. Few movies nowadays go without a note that war is bad for the sake of political correctness while all through the rest of the movie it depicts war in all the ways I have laid out before. There is a difference between making a note and transfering a message.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
One not too recent war movie I've been particularly unhappy with was "Pearl Harbor". Beside a number of smaller historical mistakes which I agree would be pardonable in a movie that is meant to be a love story rather than a historical movie (war and love make a strange but in books and movies very frequent mix) there were elements of almost demagogic nature. Pearl Harbor (the real one) was horrible and I don't see why Mr. Bruckheimer felt it necessary to try to make it more horrible by produce pictures like the following:
Japanese fighter planes strafing and bombing (the zeros at Pearl Harbor weren't even equiped to carry bombs) "targets" such as fleeing civilians, nurses, and civilian cars (one might think there were some "more worthwile" targets around, wouldn't there). <_<
Japanese bombing a hospital full of injured people (including civilians) killing many including nurses (the Japanese did NOT attack any hospital in Pearl Harbor, nor were any American nurses killed throughout WW2).

After the attack and during the preparations for the Doolittle Raid we have Colonel Doolittle say that he would try to crash his plane into a military target (rather than parachuting) if his plane was hit over enemy territory. I sometimes wonder if they had left in that statement had the movie been released after 9/11.

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
The scene with the Doolittle Raid of the movie and 9/11 may sound the same, but I see that Doolittle's speech would not truly have the same concept as with the terror attacks.

The Doolittle raid was during a time of war, and the chances of the planes not making it through the mission were high.  It goes the same way with the Japanese kamikaze.  But 9/11 was not during a time of war and the terrorists did not use their own planes to "crash into military targets."  They instead hijacked civilian airplanes and flew them into buildings that would not protect themselves from any attack, and no one (except maybe the CIA and FBI) knew there was going to be an attack in the first place.

To make my opinion brief, I'm sure they would've kept the speech in the movie if it was around 9/11.

ANYWAY, I also see a lot of historic war movies, which I may have to list...

Pearl Harbor (of course)
Saving Private Ryan
Schindler's List (only once, never again)
The Eagles Have Landed
Windtalker
Black Hawk Down
The Pianist
Swing Kids
Green Berets
Commandos (this movie didn't have quite a fine line between 'goodies' and 'baddies')
Periscope Down (a submarine movie)
The Hunt for Red October
The Last Samurai
The Patriot
Glory
Tora! Tora! Tora!

This is only some of the war movies I've watched. :p

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Yet as the original Colonel Doolitle is not reported to have held such a speech on crashing into a military target (into what would he have crashed the plane had there been no military target around) I really think that speech in the movie was just meant to satisfy a hunger of that self-destroying heroism which I find quite disturbing. I may be rebuked for exaggerating, but I really find it quite disturbing how suicide is often glorified in our western civilization movies. OF COURSE "our" heroes ALWAYS kill themselves for a higher purpose (usually saving the world by sacrificing themselves) but I don't find the frequency of such kamikaze action of heroes in our movies a sign for the greater value we are supposed to ascribe to human life. It's probably just for the tragic effect of a story, but still it is kind of strange sometimes.
Apart from that Pearl Harbor statement here are some other movies with heroes deliberately killing themselves or declaring their readiness to: Independence Day, Deep Impact, Amageddon, Dragonheart, Terminator...
The list goes on much longer, and the theme can be found in many books as well. Keep in mind that I'm not slandering the movies in general, some of which I really like, but all this "kill ourselves for the higher purpose" is just something I've been thinking about critically.
Tora! Tora! Tora!
That's a version of a much higher historical accuracy.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
I don't think a lot of these war movies will be a direct translation of what really happened. Most of them say "based on a true story" or "based on real situations". In that, they incorporate elements of facual happenings rather than transcribing the entire event. Think that's were the majority of the "mistakes" or inconsistancies lie and to those you are deeping interested and involved in historical events such as these find them as inaccuracies and therefore a lot less enjoyable.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I don't perticularly (hate spelling that word) care much for war movies other than Star Wars but I did like U-571, Pearl Harbor, and The Patriot.

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://raptoid.deviantart.com/
Speaking of war, did anybody hear that Universal and Fox teamed up to make a movie adaption of Halo?  Peter Jackson is the Exec. Producer and the movie is supposed to come out sometime next Summer.  I'm so excited!  :DD  :DD