The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Background Music?

Serris · 29 · 3960

NaNaNa

• Spike
    • View Profile
Alright, thats pretty good. If you're an experienced producer or sound engineer, thats even better.

The synthesizers better be the best sounding synths ever. Synths generally suck.

As for me, to the Gibson

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'm not a trained sound engineer, my only formal training is high school band.  Thankfully I don't have to rely on synthesis technology itself to get nice-sounding results.  The software I use is basically a really fancy version of "collections of .wav files of recordings of live instruments".  It's sampling technology moreso than synthesis and the results are much better than synthesis.

NaNaNa

• Spike
    • View Profile
wow that was actually pretty good. For a game, that definately works

ever tried audacity?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
ever tried audacity?
Yep, I prefer the interface *of* Goldwave but it's the same idea. :p
http://www.goldwave.com

*ugh, I can't type tonight, sorry. :p

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
I thought of a cave theme inspiration: Search a Seal (Sylverant) - Tales of Symphonia OST

And a Mysterious Beyond inspiration: One New World - Tales of Symphonia OST

The sample seems to fit in with Smash Brothers

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

NaNaNa

• Spike
    • View Profile
i don't suppose there will ever be any lyrics in any of the music for the game?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thanks, Serris! :D

i don't suppose there will ever be any lyrics in any of the music for the game?
I've actually always found lyrics distracting for video game music, especially when it's designed to create a wide or vast atmosphere and a mood, rather than just something to have in the background.

In many games where music with lyrics are featured, the world's mood can be made more immersive by using such music.  Racing games and games such as Grand Theft Auto are good examples.  When a player is driving, they can listen to lyrics without being distracted from the game itself.  They can even add more energy if the right songs are chosen.

In an adventure game, however, I'd like to keep the player in the mood of the wide world around them, rather than get into listening to the poetry in the song that's playing.  I've always found this to be more effective using well-written instrumental music than relying on lyrics.

Plus, you probably don't want me singing in a bunch of the music in the game. :p

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Lyrics... Hey Tim, remember the final tracks of into the green and into the blue I sent you? The ones with the few lines of lyrics towards the end? Maybe something like that could work as a kind of bonus if a particularly long and difficult task has been solved? I totally agree that through most of the game lyrics would be distracting, but in some moments they might work to enhance the atmosphere.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
how about something related to Kaze No Ne(Sound Of The Wind) from Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles an instrumental version similar to that song would work if you were going over mountains which you could see the entire mysterous beyond and the Great Valley in the center.