The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
When the player talks to NPCs, will they have audible dialogue? Can we take lines from the movie and dub them into this game, or would that be a copy-right violation?

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I would guess, and I'm likely wrong. that may be illegal.  We maybe can get someone to do the voices.  Though some audio editing may be needed to get someone's voice high pitched enough to sound like it could be a female child's voice.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I'm positive that you are right Kor and that such a use of Aria's voice would be a violation of copyrights as well as her rights on her own voice. Plannings about this are of course a matter that will be dealt with at a later state of the project, but till then the audio play project (just temporarily paused) might also give some ideas of voices that may be helpful for the game.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Besides copyright violations, a score is usually playing behind the vocals. Isolating the two would probably compromise the quality, if it's something any of us are capable of doing at all. So it just seems like a bad idea all around to me.

NaNaNa

• Spike
    • View Profile
I doubt the voices would be any better if we had people come in to imitate them. We could try synthing voices but that might also have terrible quality

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Easy.  Simply take a bunch of people's voices for a sample (females mainly) then adjust the pitch and lower the quality.  Chances are we'll be able to make it sound *almost like the real Ducky.  Lowering the quality will really help too.  It'll make you think it only sounds a little different from Ducky because of the low quality.  I'd say 2100hz and 48kps will work nicely.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Besides copyright violations, a score is usually playing behind the vocals. Isolating the two would probably compromise the quality, if it's something any of us are capable of doing at all. So it just seems like a bad idea all around to me.
There is no possible way to do it accurately.  I could isolate the music by re-composing it as a separate file.  I would have no way to capture the dialog and use it.

Easy. Simply take a bunch of people's voices for a sample (females mainly) then adjust the pitch and lower the quality. Chances are we'll be able to make it sound *almost like the real Ducky. Lowering the quality will really help too. It'll make you think it only sounds a little different from Ducky because of the low quality. I'd say 2100hz and 48kps will work nicely.
That presents a few problems like, where to get voice samples, not to mention we would have to tweak every word that NPC says so they all sound like the correct NPC is saying them.  In short, it would simply be too much effort and if we had to do this, we might as well not use voice acting at all.  

Getting voice actors in general relies on finding, not just female voices, but female voices with really good microphones.  I don't know if that will be an option around here.

The decision on voice acting will need to be made later.  I'd like to have it, I just don't know how we'd pull it off yet.