The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Massive multiplayer test - Finished

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I read the password hen Mumbling posted it, but I forgot it. Could someone PM it to me?

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
If I'm home on Saturday or Sunday, I'll try it.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Uh. Is there any way to do it without using Hamachi?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Uh. Is there any way to do it without using Hamachi?
Yes, you have to forward port 3999 on your router for the game to recognize the connection, if you have a router at home.  If that makes sense, or you don't have a router, don't worry about hamachi.  Otherwise, hamachi is probably going to be the easiest way.

Too bad I can't just leave a server running, or I could just set it all up once and it would be good to go...

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I really wish I had a simpler way to make multiplayer work...Sorry everyone, a permanent server would make life quite a bit easier since then I could just set up all this stuff in the code and players could just join by clicking a button.  

I don't know what I can possibly do to make multiplayer any easier.

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Well I do agree about a 24/7 online server, it would be the easiet, most funnest way for the game to work. I would be able to help with that (I'm not worried about electricity bills or nothing, my computer doesn't get shut off anyway), but I have severe limitations on my internet bandwidth, and I don't know how it would affect my bandwidth limit.

Yeah, I can forward the port, that's no problem. I just didn't want to expose all my files to any risk.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sorry but hamachi really is simple! I wish I could keep that password not private so that everyone could just go in there and see for themselves. Once you're logged into it you see people's hamachi ip. You can just fill it in on join game and you're in! Will send password to you.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I messaged everyone on my little list in the first post and someone who I think wants to join as well(flathead). Please read your PM.

Action and I just decided on a time:

As for most of you, you'll live in eastern america (GMT-5). Please be there around 1pm (make sure you've had your lunch :D)
I'm the only european but still... GMT+1, I'll be there at 7pm.
Action would be in the timezone of GMT-7. Please be there at 11AM.

Any questions about your timezone? Please tell me.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
i have this weekend and next weekend off, so it doesn't matter if its saturday or sunday morning.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Flathead770,Aug 13 2009 on  09:43 AM
i have this weekend and next weekend off, so it doesn't matter if its saturday or sunday morning.
Awesome! Will add you to the list too, please read your pm! :)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Main screen

Click there:

Fill in the information you got as a PM

See who else tried it!

That's as easy as it is!

You'll be able to see everyone's Hamachi IP(not actual IP). Once we've got a host(Action9000, want to be it?) anyone can just join on the IP address of the host though the join game button in the main menu of our actual game!

You can try to log in now and log out as well. Once you log back in on saturday you'll be in this room again.

And for saturday: Please only choose from cera, littlefoot, ducky or spike, I'm not sure what Ruby and Petrie will do with the game.

Grungecat

• Chomper
    • View Profile
That silly program Hamachi changed all my network settings and disabled my connection to my router. Why did you guys choose such a silly program? :(

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Not sure why it did that. I had the program installed on my computer and it never disabled any connections or changed any settings.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
When I installed it, there were boxes pre-checked for things like "Make Hamachi your home page" and the like. I unchecked them all before proceeding. It's possible you didn't see them and left them on. I'm sure it's fixable.

Grungecat

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I uninstalled the program after it messed me up. I had to remake my home network and redo my internet connection (I get my internet though my network since I have routers in between my box and my room)...maybe I did forget to specify what it would do about changing my home group to a public network, oh well. I'll be ready when gameday comes via Alex. :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
What Hamachi actually does, is install another network connection on your computer.  It should not replace your current network, it will just add another one.  I honestly don't know why it decided to mess up your settings so badly.  I've never had a problem with it doing anything like that...

Here's what it should do: Leave your current connections the way they are and just add another one.

Grungecat

• Chomper
    • View Profile
That could be it. If I were connected to Hamchi's network and not my first one I wouldn't have internet access. I dislike everything Windows 7 does about networks in any case.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
^Worked fine on mine, and most others too. Course, I'm getting a new one soon, and have some kick-butt antivirus, so I had less to lose. It's your call in the end.