The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Littlefoot Styles

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
After rewatching the LBT series again, I decided to try and see how the styles of things changed. Here's an example of Littlefoot over the years :). Which parts do you think were changed for better or for worse (LBT 1 is just a reference; sequels obviously can't match the organicness and elasticity)?

I've taken pictures of LBT 1-13. I tried to get good general or smiling profile shots. Here they are :wow :

EDIT: The LBT 7 and 8 shots were the best (EDIT: of smiling; ok just good lol) STILLS I could find. While looking for a shot, the animations of Littlefoot were really great, but it was hard to find a profile view one in open sunlight. That's why the LBT 7's (EDIT: the old image still linked, not the picture) shot's colors and neck are weirder, and the LBT 8 one looks a little different jaw. Bonus trivia: Even though Littlefoot looks like he does in LBT 5, in some scenes, he looks quite Japanese like, especially in the eyes.
LBT 1

LBT 2

LBT 3

LBT 4

LBT 5

LBT 6

LBT 7
http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww290/L...tlefootLBT7.jpg {Original Image}
http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww290/L...efootLBT7V3.jpg {Replacement Image}
Here is an even more appropriate version for LBT 7

LBT 8

LBT 9

LBT 10

How could anyone ever get tired of that face haha

Some movies had several good ones to choose from. Others I spent a while trying to find the right one. Can't believe these took between 2-3 hours o-o. :lol

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Great screenshots.  In that one Littlefoot's eyelashes are so long to me they make him look a bit more like Ali.

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Ha, yeah. You can't see it here, but on I think LBT 7 or 8, on random, sometimes on purpose frames (not shown above), some of the characters have a tiny black line at the very bottom of their eyes, sometimes in a curve. I am unsure why this was added. A tearduct or somethin'?

EDIT:
---------------------------------
Hear is an LBT 11 screen so far:

LBT 12 (though I admit this pic was at a frame using the squash-and-stretch mechanic lol xD

LBT 13 (There was a way better one in the beginning, but this is what he really looked like about 1/3 way through the film and onward... sadly...)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Is it just me or is LF's neck considerably longer in LBT 7 in comparison to LBT 8?

Anyway, nice topic :DD
Inactive, probably forever.

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Nov 21 2013 on  08:23 AM
Is it just me or is LF's neck considerably longer in LBT 7 in comparison to LBT 8?

Anyway, nice topic :DD
lol it's something every LBT sequel has faced. Inconsistencies between frames is somewhat common in the sequels. Also, I sometimes think the layout artists were half-awake because some characters can be overly-huge or small in various scenes throughout all of LBT series.

If you see this screen from LBT 7, look how much shorter his neck is lol (EDIT: Compared to the first LBT 7 image I posted)

And converse to how it may seem, throughout LBT 7, Littlefoot doesn't really have a big white reflective spot on his eye, yet despite the pic of LBT 5 I posted, Littlefoot really has a lot bigger white spots in that sequel than he does others. It all depends on the scenes really lol.

If you rewatch LBT 7 or 8 you'll see parts where Littlefoot really looks good and enhanced compared to some previous sequels, while in other places it's like "what?" lol

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe they didn't care for quality and consistency in the artwork, or it may have slipped past, like some animation mistakes do.

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
After rewatching even more of the LBT sequels, I think it's something to be put aside. Making every character in the exact same size and way just doesn't seem possible anyway; especially since that's what animating is all about; exaggerating things.

Watching 7, 8, 9 I understand it now :)

I just think Littlefoot looked quite weird sometimes in LBT 6 really.

By the way, I added another LBT 7 screen and a LBT 9 one.

EDIT: Added #10

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
I love this topic! It is so cool to see all of those screenshots in succession. Great idea :smile

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
Heh thanks :oops. There is a problem though: I'm at an image limit on that post, so 11-13 would have to be in link form. But then that wouldn't look fluid, so then should I put all of them in link form? BUt then that ruins it!

OK ok I'm going to post 11-13 in a different previous post, if that works that is.