The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Scientific names in LBT

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Our newest member Achillobator made some very interesting points in his welcoming thread. The message below was originally meant to be part of my response in the welcoming thread, but I think that this deserves to be an independent thread.
Quote Achillobator:
Now, there are two things I don't like about TLBT, but i don't really mind:

1. All these little "cutesy" names. Seriously, long neck? Sharptooth? Spiketail? Whatever happened to Apatosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, or Stegosaurus. I know it's a kids show and all, but come on! Let the kids learn something.
2. Why (from what I have seen) do the "Sharpteeth" stand upright rather than horizontally like normal? They seem much cooler that way (Note: I am not sure if they changed this in the newer ones, so forgive me)

As for the LBT names, I think it is proper for the dinosaurs not to use Latin based scientific names for their species. I also doubt that the LBT dinosaurs would make a difference in naming different dinosaurs of the same "family". For example all sauropods would be refered to as longnecks, no matter if they are Apatosaurs, Diplodocus, or Brachiosaurus. If translated into English it also sounds more "to the point" if they are called longnecks rather than latin names for "Deceptive lizard" (I wonder what's so deceptive about Apatosaur anyway), "Double beamed" (I can hear Ducky wondering what beamed means), or "Arm lizard" (I'm quite sure they would all consider the front limbs of a Brachiosaurus legs rather than arms). The LBT dinosaurs approach many things with a certain naitivity. There are no natural scientists among them and I don't think anyone could do more than guess for example about the origin of an echo (talkback).
As for cuteness in general in LBT I tend to agree with you if it comes to characters such as Tippy from LBT 8 (a Teletubby that comes in stegosaur shape) or Tricia from LBT 12. Another element which I deplore is the fact that sharpteeth are becoming ever more harmless in the LBT stories. I don't have a major problem with the posture of the sharpteeth which you mentioned, but with the fact that we didn't have a really impressive sharptooth since LBT 9. The one from LBT 8 was more of a toy for the kids, LBT 10 generalized sharpteeth as cowards (and claimed it was possible for a kid to crawl under a sharptooth's foot to trip it rather than being squished under that sharptooth's heel) and the sharpteeth from LBT 11 and 12 proved overly ticklish... Come on, they should leave a little dignity to the predators. The "new" sharpteeh have been addressed in several other threads already.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I agree with what Malte said above.  

I have never been overly picky about the scientific accuracy of the dinosaurs in LBT, including the posture of the sharpteeth.

I am also a believer that the use of scientific names in LBT would seem out-of-place.  For one thing, the words are too long!  The LBT characters rarely use words of such length and complexity and it would sound out-of-context for them to do so.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Agreed.  Scientific names in LBT just wouldn't seem right. <_<

Little kiddy dino's saying names like that!  I don't think that'd seem right. :rolleyes:

Achillobator

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.deviantart.com
Alright, alright. I get your point :p yes, it does make sense sorta...but I will never, EVER refer to any species of dinosaurs in that manner. (Unless it's like...rp or mandatory or something :p)

As for the posture thing, It's not something I REALLY SUPERBLY care about, it's just that...come on; imagine a t-rex waddling along on it's back legs, than compare it to a horizontal t-rex stalking it's prey. The horizontal t-rex looks a lot cooler. But I guess the audience doesn't really care about the sorta thing.

And yes, I agree. The sharpteeth have really went downhill. I mean, doesn't anyone remember the strength, invincibility and ferocity of THE Sharptooth?

Weather_lord_7

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I mean, doesn't anyone remember the strength, invincibility and ferocity of THE Sharptooth?

I don't thnk anyone here will ever forget it. The only thing that was up to it's ferocity was that Liopleurodon from LBT 9

Achillobator

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.deviantart.com
Coming back to this topic, I know that not all species would be able to fit in the names given. For instance therizinosaurus. So, what should they be called had they really appeared? I think it will be a fun little thing for us to try and think of :3