The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Outcut land before time scenes

Malte279 · 703 · 173219

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Quote from: Zilla,Jan 27 2009 on  02:27 AM
This clip has what seems to have been the original final scene for the movie. Many believe it is from the rumoured "heaven ending"

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NMkxN7ylrYI
That cut scene would have made the movie even more touching.  I don't think they meant they are in heaven, just that they got to the great valley, their families are there, so they'll always be together since they'll not need to move from a safe place with lots of green food and water.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Yeah but some Stupid Creditors had to complain about it being so scary for the young audience and the movie being so long. At least that is what I read.
Well, not exactly like those who did had no ideas of movies at all. The "stupid creditors" are known by the names of Steven Spielberg and George Lucas. Still I totally agree that scenes should have been left in rather than turning LBT into one of the shortest cartoon movies shown in the cinemas in later times.
Not all of the scenes were cut for being too scary (the one that took place after Spike's birth, images of which found their way into theater showcases can't have been that creepy). With LBT being really exceptionally short compared to other cartoons of the same time I wonder what was the cause for those scenes being cut. Anyway we won't get the scenes back by whining about it I'm afraid :(

dragoonanime

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Just wondering but what other scenes are in the book that were not in the movie?

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
This youtube video contains several moments not in the film, including the "Ducky Faces" scene.

Old Trailer

Plus this one with the final line of Littlefoot's; "Now We'll Always Be Together"

Pizza Hut Advert

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
Oh, and I thought I should say, there is evidence remaining in the film of the original ending.

1: When Littlefoot sees his mother's ghost, look below him. The lake that they bathed in is there, and above it is the plateau that they pushed the big rock off. Except, the rock is still there, waiting to be pushed off. Also, when he scrambles after her, the rocks on the hill resemble the ones on the hill he climbed after leaving Cera.

2: When bathing in the pond, they hear Sharptooth's roar. Look at where he is standing; the air to the right is green, as opposed to the brown everywhere else. Also, there are plants growing on the hills to the right.

Seeing this, I wonder if the cave that Sharptooth went into was the same one Littlefoot ran through, chasing his mother's spirit.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I just re-stumbled onto these images.  Wow.  These are so cool!  Is there any way I could add them to thelandbeforetime.org?  Or are these commercial material?

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Zilla,Jan 27 2009 on  02:27 AM
This clip has what seems to have been the original final scene for the movie. Many believe it is from the rumoured "heaven ending"

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=NMkxN7ylrYI

If the reason for cutting scenes was them being too scary... makes me wonder why did they cut out this last scene as well?

Almaron

• Spike
    • View Profile
Well, I personally think the ending works fine the way it is, and throwing in that extra line may have been a bit too cheesy, and it would have taken away from the moment. Maybe that's what the producers thought when editing the film.

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Apr 18 2007 on  02:35 PM

This is a picture of which we can be sure that it is genuine. It was used in cinema showcases in 1988 and the very original I scanned is from the showcase of a German cinema. It makes me wonder if the scene might have been included in the version of the movie as it was presented in cinemas or if they deliberately used material from outcut scenes (they definitely did in some other cases, so I'm afraid the scene was not included in the cinema version). We can only guess about the content, but I suppose it is a fairly save guess if we assume that Ducky is trying to make Spike come along by luring him with those berries. We see her doing just that in the movie scene which would have followed this one (right after Spike's hatching) if it hadn't been cut out. One book suggests that there was opposition from Cera against taking Spike along. Whether or not this was part of the outcut scene we don't know.
Weird.

I have this very scene on a VHS that was recorded from the TV airing here in Finland, and I clearly do remember Cera arguing that Spike shouldn't come along after Ducky lured him with those berries. Makes me wonder if there are other supposedly outcut scenes on that tape... probably not because I can't remember anything but this.

• Spike
    • View Profile

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: 812558,Dec 3 2009 on  11:03 PM
please tell us that you still have the tape
Yes I still have it. I could try recording the scene with my digital camera.

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Almaron,Nov 23 2009 on  02:17 PM
Well, I personally think the ending works fine the way it is, and throwing in that extra line may have been a bit too cheesy, and it would have taken away from the moment. Maybe that's what the producers thought when editing the film.
I think the ending was powerful enough without the ending line. Also it provided a nice segway into the song during the credits.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That would really be most awesome!
I always thought that the scene had been made but not used in any version of the movie. It is particularly amazing that it is present in the Finnish translation but not in the English original. I know of cases where short scenes from the original were not included in the German version (speaking of the sequels now) but never the other way round.
I would really be most obliged if you could show us that scene and so I think would be many. :yes

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
If you can make a copy of the tape and send it to myself or Pokeplayer, he or I can digitalize it.  Or if you could get a hold of a DVD recorder and have a modern TV, you could put it onto a DVD yourself.  I could walk you through the steps of getting the files from the DVD into a different format and sending the files to me.  Then I'd post it here.

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Dec 4 2009 on  09:43 AM
If you can make a copy of the tape and send it to myself or Pokeplayer, he or I can digitalize it. Or if you could get a hold of a DVD recorder and have a modern TV, you could put it onto a DVD yourself. I could walk you through the steps of getting the files from the DVD into a different format and sending the files to me. Then I'd post it here.

Don't think I'll be able to get a hold on a DVD/VHS recorder anytime soon, they're expensive as hell.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
$50 for a DVD recorder here.......$1 for a VHS player/recorder.  VHS is ooooooooold so it's really cheap here.  In fact, I don't even think you can buy a VHS player/recorder in the new stores anymore.  You'd have to get it from a garage sale or something.

tossu

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I can help you, I have a VHS player and a video capure card, and I live in Finland.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
This would be really awesome and wouldn't mean any huge efforts or additional costs to you. It would be really a great favor to us if you could do this. The inclusion of this cut scene in one version of the movie is really really the most interesting news on the original movie we had in ages.
If you could make a video of the scene with your digital camera and post it online that would be... WOW! :yes