The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Is the Great Divide the Grand Canyon?

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Ok, the Great Valley is believed by some to be Ashely Valley.  I was thinking, the Grand Canyon would almost match the description of the Great Divide, is between Utah and Arizona, and Ashely Valley is in Utah and so might be not too too far from the Grand Canyon.  

I know this is all speculation,but do you think it's possible?  

(I know, Sharptooth must be really buffed if he can fall into the Grand Canyon (and not get stuck either  :lol  ) and live, well, at least live through that.  Maybe though, he fell into a less deep part of it.  

Anyway, LBT Sharpteeth have super powers that enable them to fall down big cliffs (films 1 and 6, and, considering those two, we can't even be sure the guy from film 8 is really dead!)  and also get stepped on by a full grown longneck (film 10), oh and live, that's important!  (Anyone can have those things happen to them and die!   :lol  )

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
As far as I'm aware, the Great Valley is not based on any place in our real world. Who are the people believing it to be Ashely Valley respectively the Great Divide to be the Great Canyon in our world?
Inactive, probably forever.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I saw that some people believe Ashley Valley to be the Great Valley on the LBT Wiki.  

Anyway, there are Utahraptors in LBT so it's not too far-fetched to believe that the Great Valley would be Ashley Valley.  In fact, if the Great Divide is the Grand Canyon (though the one about it being the Grand Canyon was never stated anywhere that I know of, only suggested by me), then it wouldn't be that far from Ashley Valley.  

As for volancoes near the area, there aren't any in Ashely Valley (or are there?).

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Considering that many estimates of the age of the Grand Canyon push its earliest existence to 40 million years, some 25 million years after the extinction of the non-avian dinosaurs, it doesn't seem like a possibility for the Great Valley.  Now, it is true that one article from the Journal Science pushes back the age to 70 million years, but that study has attracted a lot of controversy as they have not considered other pieces of evidence in their research.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Dima02

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: LittlefootAndAliTogether,Feb 2 2015 on  11:14 AM
I saw that some people believe Ashley Valley to be the Great Valley on the LBT Wiki.

Anyway, there are Utahraptors in LBT so it's not too far-fetched to believe that the Great Valley would be Ashley Valley. In fact, if the Great Divide is the Grand Canyon (though the one about it being the Grand Canyon was never stated anywhere that I know of, only suggested by me), then it wouldn't be that far from Ashley Valley.

As for volancoes near the area, there aren't any in Ashely Valley (or are there?).
Ah. The Ashley Valley idea was something I came up with back in 2010. I was trying to find possible locations for the Great Valley for a Fanfiction I was writing. I added the possibility to the Wikia and posted a discussion on this forum. That thread is here: Possible Locations of the Great Valley.

I wrote that the Great Divide is now a portion of the Chucharas River. I placed the location of the Great Divide at Cedarwood, Colorado. The canyon is unnamed. You can read more about it on that linked thread. I can give you the more detailed coordinates, if you want.

As for volcanoes, there are quite a few in Utah. The Santa Clara Volcano, for instance, is located in Washington County, Utah. There are many extinct volcanoes around state.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
the Grand Canyon is believed to be only a few million years old, so the great divide is not the Grand Canyon.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Not only is the age of The Grand Canyon make it not be the place where The Great Divide happened, but also the location.  Don't forget, the gang had to head west to reach The Great Valley.  Considering the theory is that Ashley Valley was the inspiration for it, if we were to base it on location, The Great Divide would've had to happen in Colorado, possibly Kansas.  Missouri would be a bit of a stretch, but also a possibility if the trip was longer than we thought.