The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Gang of Five Downtime

Mumbling · 59 · 12062

ddmkm122

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Mumbling,Oct 13 2013 on  08:15 AM
Hi guys!

As you have probably noticed the Gang of Five has been inaccessible the past couple of days. We are not sure what is causing this issue. It is sadly out of our reach as admins and is most likely a server failure on invisionfree's end.

We all hope the board will be working fine again as soon as possible.
InvisionFree's end?  Than, why were other InvisionFree boards and even some ZetaBoards forums working then, then?

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
InvisionFree's end? Than, why were other InvisionFree boards and even some ZetaBoards forums working then, then?

As stated earlier in the topic, it turns out the issue was with the domain of the forum and not invisonfree:

After yet another downtime (the third within a short time) we figured out that the problem seems to be related to the GOF domain name "thegangoffive.net.
We don't know the exact nature of the problem, but the problem does not exist anymore when rather than using the the domain name we change the setting to the default of http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/index.php?. So for the time being we should use that url rather than the original domain name. We are going to continue seeing if we can get the domain name back to work properly.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

ddmkm122

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: rhombus,Nov 24 2013 on  04:38 PM
InvisionFree's end? Than, why were other InvisionFree boards and even some ZetaBoards forums working then, then?

As stated earlier in the topic, it turns out the issue was with the domain of the forum and not invisonfree:

After yet another downtime (the third within a short time) we figured out that the problem seems to be related to the GOF domain name "thegangoffive.net.
We don't know the exact nature of the problem, but the problem does not exist anymore when rather than using the the domain name we change the setting to the default of http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/index.php?. So for the time being we should use that url rather than the original domain name. We are going to continue seeing if we can get the domain name back to work properly.
Oh!  Oops!

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I haven't been able to access GOF for a few days now. The gangoffive.net URL doesn't work for me. I had to access this from the z7.invisionfree.com URL. Did anyone else have this problem?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Jan 30 2014 on  09:32 AM
I haven't been able to access GOF for a few days now. The gangoffive.net URL doesn't work for me. I had to access this from the z7.invisionfree.com URL. Did anyone else have this problem?
I have had that problem as well.  I couldn't get back on until I tried the invisionfree address.

I wonder if others are having the same problem.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Please do not use the gangoffive.net url. As we have stated earlier that url is somehow broken and we are not able to fix it. Please use the z7.invisionfree.com url instead. I'll edit the first post to clear this up.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I had this problem as well, and so did other GOF members. Just use the old URL.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I have turned off the gangoffive.net URL so only the old invisionfree URL will now work.  This will minimize confusion and problems.

As for it being reinstated and getting it to work, I have nothing to do with that.  This was kindly set up by landbeforetimelover a few years back for us, and he owns the domain.  I haven't seen any response from him on the domain issues so for now its better to cut ties with it and minimize issues on our end here.

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I really had such an easy time just typing "gangoffive.net" into the browser box, all this time. :(  it was so easy to access.

:( Now that it's turned off, this could reduce visitor traffic to the gang of five.. I'd have an easier time remembering "gangoffive.net" than the "z7invision..." long address.

I had known "gangoffive.net" as easy as google, youtube, and deviantart. :(

I already really miss "gangoffive.net" I personally don't like the change.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I get your point, Jared, but why keeping an address that doesn't work at times? Besides, if somebody is in search for a place to talk about LBT, (s)he'll stumble across the GoF sooner or later anyway. In fact, when I was searching for a LBT forum, this place came up pretty high up on the list (even though I typed the german name of LBT).

I personally always use the bookmark funktion of my browser so the delete of the old link doesn't affect me anyway (I changed the link of the bookmark when the problem first came up a few months ago...)
Inactive, probably forever.

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Well, you're right about those past outages the gof has had recently. I'll give you that.

I'm sure I can adapt fine to the "gangoffive.net" being turned off. I'll still be able to log in fine. :) It's just something new that I need to get used to.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It's too bad that Google's main page for LBT forum links to gangoffive.net. I've contacted Austin about this, and he has sadly not reponded to the problem. He has made sure to renew the domain name, so it's still 'ours', but so long it's not working that'll be kind of useless... :(

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Bookmarking the GOF is indeed the easiest solution. My main concern is about new members being possibly unable to access the GOF via google at times.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That is to bad.  I do hope the situation is resolved soon, if not, oh well.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Not sure if this fits into this thread...

I just noticed that many links (like in our signatures) don't work anymore since the change of our domain... They have to be replaced in order to work properly.
Inactive, probably forever.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It's a good idea to replace them, since the z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive is more reliable. I have, however, turned the domain gangoffive.net back on since it seems to work just fine again.

If anyone is having issues with the gangoffive.net domain, let me know. Remember to keep using z7.invisionfree.com for your own convenience :)

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
:D Thanks for turning "gangoffive.net" back on, Mumbling. It's much faster and easier for me to visit here now, because it's back to the way i'm used to it being. Thanks. ;)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I'm very sorry guys.  It's been so long since I've been here at GOF that I didn't even notice.  I did pay for another year for the domain and I reconfigured all the settings with GoDaddy and it seems to work now.  But for some reason it isn't perma-linked.  I think the admins changed something on their end after it went down to try to fix the problem and it got messed up.  For example, all the posts/topics/pages have the same URL:

Code:  on  
http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/index.php?

When it should look something like:

Code:  on  
http://www.gangoffive.net/topic/Gangoffivedowntime

This negatively affects are SEO and Google ranking and needs to be fixed.  It's like the www.gangoffive.net domain just redirects to the z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive URL.  Strange.  Could one of the admins look into this on their end?

I should clarify that the cause of the problem was NOT me nor was it my host (GoDaddy).  The original settings were intact when I looked into it.  But Invisionfree changed the settings on their end which made the previous settings I specified for the domain invalid.  I figured if I just renewed the domain each year everything would be fine.  I guess I'll have to keep tabs on this.  In the future, please contact me via one of these websites if there's ever another problem:

TheLandBeforeTime.org (Preferred)
http://thelandbeforetime.org/contact/

http://austinscomputers.com/contact-us/

If for some reason there's ever a problem with TheLandBeforeTime.org, you can contact me directly through my business @ austinscomputers.com.  I'm putting this information in this thread for future reference so chances are people can find it if there's ever another problem

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Austin: we have set our default link to z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/.... because the www.gangoffive.net link did not redirect anyone to the forum anymore. This was prior to the renewal of the domain. Please read through the entire topic to see our findings and to read why we decided to change it back.

People were not directed to the gang of five, and instead were stuck on a white page. They thought the forums were down (which they weren't, they were simply not being redirected). We turned off the redirect link as the main link as soon as we discovered this. I've tried to email you several times about this, but sadly enough you only picked up that the domain name had to be renewed (while this was in fact not the problem).

If (and only if) that redirect problem has been completely fixed, which I am not certain of since I don't use that link anymore, I am willing to put it back in place. But if it is giving a white page for anyone at any time, it is simply not reliable to be our main link. Sorry.