The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Rinkus and Sierra

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
I really love these guys (especially Sierra) mostly because I thought they were pretty funny.

Like Rinkus' comment when Pterano slaps him for slapping Petrie:

Pterano: If there is one thing I will not tolerate, it's violence!
Rinkus: Then why are you hitting me?
XD

And Sierra, with his countless, "So what?"s and this line:

Pterano: Sierra! Show some self-control will you?
Sierra: Self-control my tail-bone! I have puttin' up with that whiny little voice since we took off! No, no, no! Jeb, jeb, jeb! It's driving me, nuts, nuts, nuts! ::D

I also like Sierra simply because I love his name. And the voice actor, my gosh Jim Cummings is one amazing voice actor!

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Those two are funny, but also pretty nasty villains also.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah, that may be so, but hardly no other villains in the LBT world are like that.

Dark Pterano

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I think Sierra & Rinkus are two of the more cooler villains in any of the LBT movies. But have you ever noticed that they have a few similaity's to Ozzie & Strut, in fact here's one similaity.

Ozzie wanted to throw Littlefoot off a cliff in the 2nd movie.  And I'm almost sure that Sierra wanted to let Ducky go, when he was holding on to her, when he was flying in that one part of the 7th movie?

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dark Pterano,May 3 2008 on  10:29 PM
And I'm almost sure that Sierra wanted to let Ducky go, when he was holding on to her, when he was flying in that one part of the 7th movie?
Yeah, he probably would be more than eager to do so, but Pterano did say to them "that forces me to make a small change in our flight plan". Meaning that he want to take Ducky away so she wouldn't tell anyone about his plan. Of course, that was pretty stupid, because Ducky screams so everyone knows what Pterano is up to. :p

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
Those two are pretty interesting characters. I happen to like them both...I would be interested to see their return in a future sequel. And I'm willing to bet that Sierra wouldn't think twice or feel too much guilt over dropping Ducky....or anyone else for that matter! :DD

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Very true, I could see those 2 returning to get revenge perhaps on the kids, especially Ducky perhaps.  It would be interesting to have certain villains return.  In the tv series most of the movie good guy characters have returned but none of the villains, and in movies only Chomper has returned, not counting Tria and Tricia, who became part of the movie cast.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
You have an interesting point about the similarity of Ozzy and Strut with Rinkus and Sierra, Dark Pterano. However, there are some significant differences also.
The comparison would probably suggest Sierra to be similar to Ozzy (both the "tough" guys) and Rinkus to be similar to Strut (as the "not so tough" guys).
However, in case of Ozzy and Strut, Strut comes across as not much of a thinker and as Ozzy's follower only. Strut makes suggestions, but only suggestions which are usually turned down by Ozzy (eating of green stuff, when is it Ozzy's time to carry the stolen egg etc.). The one suggestion of Strut which Ozzy accepts happily (throwing Littlefoot from the Great Wall) reveals Strut to have some of the cruelty which Rinkus also reveals (suggesting torture to get Littlefoot to tell about the landing site of the Stone of Cold Fire). None of Strut's suggestions suggests him to be very intelligent though.
In case of Rinkus and Sierra, Sierra's brawn doesn't seem to come along with as much brain as Rinkus has while Rinkus in turn seems to be the smarter of the two but certainly the weaker. There are moments when Rinkus too doesn't seem to be the brightest bulb in the chandelier (e.g. when Pterano has to lay out to him why they can't threaten Littlefoot into telling them about the landing site of the Stone of Cold Fire), but he is certainly not as much of a naive follower as Strut is. Rinkus is more stealthy and pursues his own purposes. There are certainly similarities between Ozzy and Sierra respectively Strut and Rinkus, but there are very clear differences as well.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I hate these characters.  Always have and I always will.  I don't see what's to love about an evil character.  They're nice to have in a story though because without villains in a story you get something like tellitubbies. :lol

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
I never seen them as anything else, except for the minor villians. I don't like them much, anyway. Just two ordinary cartoon thugs. :huh:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
With regard to villains I think we must differentiate between "liking them" as in being really fond of them or their actions or "liking them" as interesting characters which really make for an interesting story though we don't like their actions and misdoings.
Personally I definitely prefer those villains which actually do pose a thread above those who seem to be a mere entertainment for the kids. The later is the case with those harmless sharpteeth in LBT 8, 10, and 11. Characters like Ozzy, Strut, Rinkus, and Sierra often come in as a comical relief, but nevertheless they are dangerous to some degree. Sharpteeth like that of the original movie or of LBT 9 are definitely an intimidating menace to the characters and they don't loose much of that effect by slapstick actions such as Cera attacking the presumed dead Sharptooth or Mo slapping the swimming sharptooth with his tail fin.
When I talk about "liking" a villain I usually mean that I like the way he or she contributes to making an exciting story rather than approving of his or her crimes as such.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There are some villains in the LBT movies which show that you can do one of them mainly seriously where they are a threat to the kids, but are not to "scary" to the young viewers, it's to bad other writers don't take note of this.

Dark Pterano

• Chomper
    • View Profile
That's one thing I've noticed about the LBT movie villains. In fact only six of them have had real names in the movies and three in the T.V. series, nine in total.

All of the other villains don't really have names, well maybe Sharptooth, Sharpteeth or Swimming Sharptooth, but that's not really a name, but more of a title for said villain's.

LBT 2: Strut & Ozzy

LBT 4: Ichy & Dil

LBT 7: Rinkus & Sierra

LBT Series: Redclaw, Screech & Thug

Serris

• General of the Great Valley
  • Member+
  • The Gang of Five
  • The cyberpunk Deinonychus
    • View Profile
LBT (the original) did have a name for the villian, The Sharptooth.

This wasn't any ordinary sharptooth but one with supernatural physical abilities.

I actually liked Sierra and Rinkus because they made a very good contribution to the plot.

Poster of the GOF's 200,000th post

Please read and rate: Land Before Time: Twilight Valley - The GOF's original LBT war story.

Dark Pterano

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Since I'm still new here. I don't know where to put this, but I've thought up a couple of odd yet funny mix n match LBT villain team up duo's?  :lol

1. Sierra & Ozzy

2. Rinkus & Strut

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The couplet of a flyer and a "biter" has been there in the shape of Ichty and Dill. Perhaps that couplet would have a very remote similarity to the couplet of Sierra and Ozzy. The main difference seems to be that there was a kind of dependency of Ichty (who could not attack any large prey (but would have probably been less dependent on Dill than vice versa)) and Dill (who could barely see) on each other. There wouldn't be the same kind of dependency in case of a Sierra / Ozzy couplet. With both of them being intent to be the top of the pecking order I guess the two would be very unlikely to team up unless they somehow just got along very well with each other from the beginning. Neither would really "need" the other one, so their teaming up with each would probably not be based on anything but true friendship, which I think would be generally an interesting idea as we haven't seen something so positive about LBT villains so far (with the possible exception of Chomper's parents, but not only are they hardly real "villains" but also it is more a matter of love rather than friendship in their case).
In case of Rinkus and Strut Rinkus would probably be the dominant part but he probably wouldn't make a very good leader. Strut would probably be willing to follow "anyone" who tells him what to do so there might be a kind of minor dependency as Strut is not a very autonomous character.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Personally, I don't think Sierra and Ozzy would be a good duo. Sierra is one of those macho rouges that would beat the living day lights out of you if you mess with him. Ozzy seems to be a bit more Pteranoish or Rinkus like because he is weird (Rinkus comes to mind) and he's one of those brainiac geniuses that wants to take over the world. >:) I think Sierra would turn against Ozzy right away.

If you have seen the early 90s disney cartoon Darkwing Duck, you may remember a villain by the name of NegaDuck. He and Sierra actually are voiced by the same voice actor and the voice actor uses his more deeper and rough voice for them. They do have a few similarities, they both like destruction and don't care about other people and what they saw about them. All they care about is exceeding to their own expectations. However, NegaDuck is more of a mad genius while Sierra is a bit more of your common rouge.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Quote from: Rat_lady7,May 3 2008 on  06:52 PM

Pterano: Right, make that two things: violence and STUPID questions!
 :lol
I think that's one of the things that made me like him oh so long ago.

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ptyra,Aug 2 2008 on  09:05 PM
Quote from: Rat_lady7,May 3 2008 on  06:52 PM

Pterano: Right, make that two things: violence and STUPID questions!
 :lol
I think that's one of the things that made me like him oh so long ago.
Yeah that quote is great.