The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Origami

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Last August I picked up origami (paper folding) as a hobby. The hobby is really beautiful and relaxing though it has the downside that by now my entire place is somewhat littered with paper cranes, owls, kangaroos, elephants, giraffes, horses, dinosaurs, squirrels, all types of paper flowers etc.
Combining this hobby with the MLP fandom I recently created some print designs for MLP character origamis. Here are some results:

Last weekend I was at a larger bronie meetup for the first time and of course I had some of these prints along to teach anybronie interested how to fold the characters. It was well received and I got asked if I could do a discord origami too.
For that one I couldn't rely on any existing folding instructions on which the mane6 origamis were based (though I did change the instructions for paper horses a bit in order to get unicorns and pegasi / alicorns too), but I got some ideas and this is my first (alas wingless) attempt at an origami Discord:

Midnight

• Freaking Rawr!
  • Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://icedragonnet.blogspot.com.ar/
Dude, those are great! Looking forward to see more :)!

And, as a matter of fact, I have always wanted to take up Origami as well :p

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I can only encourage you to do so. Funny thing is that whenever one folds something people seem to be under the impression that one must have had decade lasting training by an old wise samurai in some Tibetan monastry or something like that...  :lol ...while in fact I got to keep telling these people that it is not nearly that difficult to learn. And even to develope own figures is not so tricky. I did one of Ducky for example (got no picture ready to show of Origami Ducky at the moment).

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Nice, Malte! I knew you were doing this for a while already but I never got to see anything until now. I want to see Ducky, pleeeeeease? :angel
Inactive, probably forever.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I didn't keep this thread very up to date. Since I started it I have come up with some new MLP origamis.
I have by now come up with a Discord who does sport wings and created a printing pattern for him:

I would have liked to come up with a similar printing pattern for Princess Luna, but unfortunately it doesn't work out to print lighter colors (as in her mane and tail) on the darker background of her main color (to a lesser degree the same problem exists for Applejack, while the coloring of the rest of the mane6 doesn't pose much of a problem). So in case of Luna I created one figure which I colored with some opaque, metalic pen:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
My most recent MLP origami project was a printing pattern for Scootaloo. Designing her to be somewhat smaller than the mane6 (just about 4cm high), you can get nine Scootaloo patterns from a piece of origami paper from which you could get just four of the mane6. This may have contributed to the following setup about the question "What would happen if Scootaloo ever came across Pinkie Pie's cloning pool?"

Now I daresay such a fan club might be too much even for Rainbow Dash :lol
Note that some of the Scootaloos come with their Cutie Mark while some don't. Also with Scootaloo I for the first time added some more cuts to the head allowing for her mane to be a bit less edged than in case of the previous origamis. I might try to do something similar with the manes of future figures with elaborate manes (e.g. Rarity or Fluttershy). Also I tested some poses one can give to these figures, like sitting:

Running:

This was an attempt at giving her a kicking pose like Applejack when bucking apple trees. At least three points of a figure need to touch the ground for it to remain standing. However when I tried bend one of the rear legs far back for it to kick, the figure would always tpple over. I'm afraid in this case one would really have to include something for her to kick against thereby proping up the kicking leg:

This pose is her tapping something (or in case of the above image with Rainbow Dash somepony):

Future projects might include the other Cutie Mark Crusaders, Princess Celestia and perhaps Zecora.