The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Am I the only one who finds Petrie’s uncle annoying?

GreyLizard226

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
I know I’m going to get a ton of flack for saying this.

But yeah, I’m sorry, I find him kind of annoying. It’s partially the voice, partially the dialogue, and partially the fact that he just comes off as kind of stupid. I mean, he’s so desperate to create a paradise (something he KNOWS already exists, since we first meet him in the Great Valley) that he resorts to kidnapping and all that. I don’t know, I just don’t care for him. I admit that even though the last scene with him is pretty rough (I can’t imagine what it must be like for a fan of the character to watch it 23 years later when he still hasn’t been brought back), I’m still a bit frustrated by him in it. I would have personally had him say goodbye to Petrie and the rest outside the Great Valley and have his exile be self-imposed, showing he recognizes his actions have cost him the chance to be a part of the community.

Like I said, I’m probably one of the only people here who isn’t a fan of him, but honestly, I don’t mind having a non-standard opinion, in fact I really like it. And I especially like being able to share it.  :Mo

Enchanted-Valley96

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I personally like Michael York's very well spoken voice.

I enjoy Pterano's sinister ways and manipulation of Petrie because he knew how to do it without Petrie knowing until it was too late into the film. It worked because of how his personality was set up.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 09:40:55 AM by Enchanted-Valley96 »

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
You really aren't though. Not everyone here likes Pterano and I can understand why.

He was very sketchy the first time we see him, particularly with Little Foot and Petrie. He used Petrie as a way to gain information about the stone. And when Ducky was caught overhearing his plan, he resorted to kidnap her so no one would "stop them". His arrogance was ultimately his undoing in every instance. He makes brash decisions based on his ego that harmed so many in his wake.

What ultimately sold me with his character, outside of the superficial stuff like his design, his VA, etc. is that he was regretful and obviously traumatized by what happened pre-movie. He did the wrong thing for what he believed was right reason. He wanted to make things right for himself and relied solely on external validation in order to achieve it. A lot of narcissists rely on that instead of internal validation. For a minor LBT character, he was the most complex with his motivation, backstory, and overall personality. My two cents at least.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 04:20:44 AM by Amaranthine »