The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Pokemon: Let's Go Series!

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Coming November 16th to the Nintendo Switch, it's Pokemon: Let's Go Pikachu! and Pokemon: Let's Go Eevee!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jRtpMKLsts

I, for one, can't wait!

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Coming November 16th to the Nintendo Switch, it's Pokemon: Let's Go Pikachu! and Pokemon: Let's Go Eevee!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jRtpMKLsts

I, for one, can't wait!

I'm quite hyped too (obviously :D )

It may be a 'dumbed down' version of the games, but it looks absolutely gorgeous. Plus the pokeball peripheral will look great on my desk (and I will annoy my colleagues endlessly with whatever pokemon I'll carry with me). I proudly walked around with my pokewalker back in 2010, so carrying an actual pokeball in my bag won't be an issue, hehe.

Not sure yet which version to get. Which one are you going for?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
To be honest, I want to lean towards the Eevee Version, if only for the unique concept of starting with a Normal-type.

One thing I have predicted that will happen, even if a good chunk of the Pokemon Community doesn't believe it, is that the Eevee you get as a starter won't be able to evolve within the game.

You see, this is all looking to be a remake of Yellow Version.  In Yellow Version, your starter Pikachu could not evolve within the game.  You had to trade it to Red/Blue and evolve it with a Thunder Stone into Raichu.  After which, you could trade it back.

If they plan to make the same thing happen, Pikachu not evolving in the Pikachu Version, then it would only be fair to make Eevee not evolve in the Eevee Version of the game.  Otherwise, well you can guess which one everyone will buy.

We'll see if my prediction is correct.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
To be honest, I want to lean towards the Eevee Version, if only for the unique concept of starting with a Normal-type.

One thing I have predicted that will happen, even if a good chunk of the Pokemon Community doesn't believe it, is that the Eevee you get as a starter won't be able to evolve within the game.

You see, this is all looking to be a remake of Yellow Version.  In Yellow Version, your starter Pikachu could not evolve within the game.  You had to trade it to Red/Blue and evolve it with a Thunder Stone into Raichu.  After which, you could trade it back.

If they plan to make the same thing happen, Pikachu not evolving in the Pikachu Version, then it would only be fair to make Eevee not evolve in the Eevee Version of the game.  Otherwise, well you can guess which one everyone will buy.

We'll see if my prediction is correct.

Interesting theory! I guess we'll see once more info gets announced. ^^

MF217

• 밀레 시안
  • Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://mf217.deviantart.com/
My brother is planning on getting Let's Go! Eevee, whereas I'm planning on getting Let's Go! Pikachu. Pikachu I've always trusted in terms of overall competency considering you have to stick with it the whole game in Yellow without evolving it nor having the advantage of the Light Ball, but with Let's Go! Eevee I'm just letting my brother get that, considering I know personally that Eevee is terrible unless you evolve it to one of its many Eeveelutions.
Nintendo 3DS Friend Code:
Marty
3695-0507-9451
Nintendo Switch Friend Code:
MF217
SW-2833-1633-8314
Note: PM me before asking for any meetings on various games for the 3DS or Switch please.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So, the game is currently two months away.  This game has REALLY upset the Pokemon Community, (To the point where I REFUSE to start a conversation or watch a video about it unless the individual is going to be civil and not attack me for defending it.) but let's face a fact; it's not for the core audience.  It's for new comers who are unfamiliar with Pokemon in the first place.

That being said, let's get some facts straight about what we can expect about this game.

-Your Pikachu/Eevee starter will not be able to evolve. (However, ones you get by capture or trade WILL be able to evolve.)

-You can give unique hairstyles to your chosen starter. (One of which will be shown off in the Anime in October when it airs in Japan.)

-You can buy outfits for your chosen starter.

-The wild encounters you have are NOT random.  You run into the Pokemon that appears on screen.

-You need to have certain Pokemon before challenging a gym. (Basically, you just need one that has a type advantage. This one has REALLY upset the community.)

-You can't breed. (Wow!  That REALLY hurts replayability for me.)

-You can transfer Pokemon from Pokemon Go! into the game.

-A second player can join you in the adventure and help you capture Pokemon.

-You can get a bundle that includes a Pokeball Accessory that has a Mew in it.

-Motion Control is in the game.

This is all we know so far.  There's still a lot of unknowns with this game.

To be honest, I see this turning out to be one of my lower-rated Pokemon games.  I mean, I'll still play it, but I won't be playing it as much as I would have liked. (I love to breed Pokemon.  Without it, I find little else after I beat the main story of the game to do.)

I do plan to get the Let's Go! Eevee Bundle that contains the Pokeball Accessory if only for Mew.  Still, after I beat the main game, I don't see much else that I'll do.

So, that's the update I wanted to give.

See ya later! :wave

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
Recently, I found that there's no way to talk about this game without starting up an Internet war. On my Twitter timeline I see avid dissenters and avid supporters of this game and boy do they clash... oh yeah, did I mention that the game's not even out yet?

And yes, much of the argument online is about how much the game panders to casuals. This was something lobbed to the Gen 7 games, but I bet the people who criticized the Alola games didn't expect this. On a personal note, my younger brother is an avid competitive Pokemon fan who regularly goes online battling. Hearing that this game has no abilities, breeding, or held items (amidst other things) has really bummed him out, and thus he has told me that its the only main series game he's contemplating skipping. He's not alone, by the way. I'm pretty sure Smogon vehemently despises the casualness of this entry.

IMO, just think of it as a Gen 1 re-remake, treat it exactly as one like FR/LG (released 14 years ago, geez) and maybe your money's worth will be gotten. The graphics and battles are a sharp increase in graphic fidelity quality from anything else that we've seen before from GF bar say Colosseum/XD years prior. Just to share, my first Pokemon game was Leafgreen... I never beat it as a kid. I was dumb. But even I think that many too much handholding will drive a linear route and make the game experience too boring.

In the end, I say we can't really judge it 100% before it comes out. Besides, it's Pokemon. Not only is it meant to tie in to the formerly large Pokemon GO market, the power of the Pokemon IP alone will make Let's Go sell, so yeah, those naysayers who say this game will flop are seriously forgetting about how much the power of a franchise name is.
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
So, here's a few new things to add since the last list of things we know.

-Meltan is a new Pokemon in the game.  Pokemon Go is required to get it and it's evolution. (Well, this should be interesting to get.)

-IV Judge returns.  Maxed out Pokemon return.  Currently unknown best way to get them.

-Pro Controller is NOT supported. (Please let there be a way to play outside of one JoyCon.)

We're a week and a half away.  Let's see what else comes up.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
OK I've played for about 22 hours now, beating the elite four and catching Mewtwo. Here are my thoughts without any spoilers (although the game is basically the same story-wise as the one released 20+ years ago)!

This game looks and plays absolutely wonderful! You can feel it is targeted at new players, but that definitely does not take away from the experience. In fact, I feel less hand-holding here than I did with Sun and Moon, for example. There are really only 2 downsides that I can think of right now:
- Throwing with the joy-cons feels awkward and also doesn't seem very reliable. There was quite a bit of frustration trying to 'aim' when in fact you shouldn't try that.
- The co-op experience was a bit lacking. Player 2 can't interact with anything, items, wild Pokémon or trainers. They're basically just a way to get rid of your poké balls quickly and to get some extra damage in fights. Wish there was a bit more to it and that you could troll each other a bit more.

I don't feel like I am missing the held items, breeding or abilities. They weren't around in the first game anyway.

However, there are sooo many upsides!
- Throwing with the joy-cons might've been a pain, but throwing with the Poké Ball Plus feels absolutely wonderful and very natural. Here's a video I attempted to make to show this off. And playing in hand-held with aiming the Switch feels completely fine too.
- Another thing about the Poke Ball Plus. It has been the most relaxing way for me to play a game, like ever. Not heavy, fits more easily in one hand than a joy-con does, and is nice and responsive. My fav way to play, laid back on the couch!
- No random encounters! People might have been complaining about this, but man it has been so nice not to be ambushed by Zubat or Geodude when in the caves, and avoiding all Tentacool in the water! Really hope they can keep this feature for future installments.
- You have your Pokémon box with you at all times. And it is just that, one box, with sort feature for easy access.
- The game did not feel too easy at all. Without the grinding for XP through wild encounters, your levels will just barely be good enough to challenge the Elite Four when that time comes around.
- 'Chaining' for shinies has actually become a skill thing, rather than a luck thing. Catching each Pokémon on time will feel like a massive relief. Because every Pokémon will eventually run away after a certain amount of time has passed (except Legendaries, I think).
- No HMs (though I guess this was also the case for S&M), instead making use of 'Secret techniques' that your starter can learn.
- Dressing up and 'earning' new clothes is fun!
- Candies to train the stats of your Pokémon feels a lot more easy to get into.

I should've probably kept a log of things I found awesome as I went along, but I didn't so oh well. Can absolutely recommend it to any Pokémon fan! It is basically a beautiful remake of Kanto, with the only Pokémon GO element being the wild Pokémon encounters. Plus (OK, some small spoilers after all)
Spoiler: ShowHide
the inclusion of Jessie and James can be quite hilarious

Now I don't know about much end-game content yet. Feels a bit empty, but perhaps it hasn't revealed itself to me yet. There don't seem to be the islands that were created for LeafGreen and FireRed. We will see!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 01:48:04 PM by Mumbling »

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Wow!  The haters for this game are pathetic.  They are review bombing this game on Amazon and Metacritic.  So yeah, don't take those scores seriously.  At the very least Amazon is removing those scores and blocking those jerks.

This game is actually good and it's sad there are those who want it to fail like this.