The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Game content

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Okay, we're making a multiplayer LBT game....great, what do you do in it?
Well.....

Here's the topic where we answer that question! B)

First of all, I'll post up what I'm picturing this game to be like:

First and foremost, this game is intended to be a social experience: a place for LBT fans to log in and chat while having fun with their characters.

The game takes place ENTIRELY online.  When you run the program, you have the option to either host an online game or join an online game.  If you want to play by yourself, just don't tell anybody you have a game hosted.  We can possibly set up the option to password-protect games if we need to as well.

The game will NOT have a central server, meaning that anyone can host a game.

When you host or join a game for the first time, you will be given the option to create a new character: a dino of approximate the Gang's age.  YOu will be able to choose one of a number of dino types: Swimmer, Flyer, Longneck, Threehorn, Spiketail, perhaps more as we decide on more content.  You will be able to personalize your dino a bit by changing the colour, gender and size (somewhat).  The amount of customization will depend on how well I can get the programming working and how good I get at 3D modelling. :p
(NOTE: You will be able to create and save multiple characters on one computer.)

Once you choose a dino, you'll be able to name him/her.  Once you have chosen a name, you are placed into the world as that dino.  You start off at your nest in the Great Valley (or perhaps in a sort of central meeting place in the Valley, as opposed to your nest).

Now...what can we do?

Like any good LBT dino kid, you can explore things!  Your character will gain experience points by exploring the world.  For each region of the map that you explore, you will gain so many points (based on a few factors, such as the difficulty of reaching that region as compared to your character's level).  After you reach a threshold of points, your character gains a level.  When you gain a level you are able to learn new skills and/or improve existing skills.
The actuall skills available to each dino have not yet been decided on.

Fighting will probably exist in the game but it will occur EXTREMELY rarely, only with the situation absolutely demands it.  As a result, most of your character's experience points will come from exploring and completing "tasks".

Tasks come from non-player characters (NPCs), such as Grandpa Longneck (for example).  Talking to an NPC will result in possibly getting a task from them for you to do.  Some tasks are too complex or difficult for a single dino to manage on their own, so you must group up with other players to succeed.

The idea of the game is to let your character explore more of the world as he/she levels up.  By the time you reach the maximum possible level, you will be able to explore nearly all of the world, depending on the skills you have chosen to upgrade.  A max. level longneck will never be able to swim as deep/long as a max. level swimmer, of course, so there are limitations based on your dino.

Tasks could be as simple as "explore this area" or "bring me 10 pinecones" (though carrying 10 pinecones at once would be rather difficult for any dino :p) to as complex as "These sharpteeth have made their home in a cave very close to my nest.  Please, help rid the area of these monsters so I can raise my family in safety!" (for example).  The latter task would require much more skill and technical ability, as well as teamwork and coordination to succeed.

As for what else we can have the players do besides just wander around collecting tasks from NPCs...
That's what we need to decide on.
Kor suggested earlier that perhaps sports/games would be a nice addition, such as the soccer-like game played in the TV series, where players can get together and play in the Valley.  I'd love to do that but it won't be for much later, due to programming complexities.

Options that players can turn on at any time, such as "Invite group to play Hide and Seek".  Members of the group then can start a game in whatever area of the world they're in, just randomly, for fun.

What other cool stuff could we throw into the game?

I'd love to have a day/night sky system, so we can show the scenery at different times of day.  Perhaps some special events will only occur at certain times of day (like the Night Flowers in the Valley of Mists) that we can play with.

Bottom line:
I'm looking for a pleasant social game where LBT fans can get together and enjoy LBT like never before.  How can we best do this?

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
It sound like you have a great plan for a game basis there already mate!  :yes

Task: "Boost me trough MB"! lol, kidding.  :lol

Nah, seriously, I belvie that if we hit our heads togehter we might come up with exelent ideas! I'll sure post mine if I come up with something!

/Lillefot

Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay well I'm a bit anoyed because before I tried to post something but it didnt work at the time. So I'll try to say thesame things as I said before *sigh*.

I'd like helping you thinking of tasks, and I'm sure there are more of those people around here. Maybe it's an idea for a topic.. Discussing some tasks.. Or do you want to make them all on your own so that they'll be a surprise?

Exploring is a good thing! Will a player be able to find hidden places? Maybe by leveling up or by completing tasks? That would be cool.

Where does the character start? Will it have its own nest/house..? Or will everyone start on thesame place? Or will you start at the place you left the last time?

If you think of choosing a house. Will the player be able to get new 'furniture' for the nest? By doing quests, finding items or maybe even buying them from others?
With furniture I'm thinking of a pile of treestars... Or a rockband of turtles making music(good solution if you want to have something modern in an lbt game.. Like a stereo set :p Just create it in dinosaur style.)

Maybe you could make some sort of market place where they can buy stuff when they want to go exploring.

O and for the characters.. could there be a dinosaur looking a bit like Guido? I love him soo much.. :^.^:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
One task could be Threehorn could say, "Tria likes pretty stones bring her some!" which could explain how she has so many at the beginning of the tv episode The Canyon of Shiny Stones.  Maybe the farther the stone is from Tria's nest the more points you get, or some dangerous places like the Canyon of Shiny Stones you get more points since it is farther, and is also dangerous since it is next to Smoking Mountain.

A good task also could be based on some tv episodes, like The Great Egg Adventure.  Though you'd need help with that, depending on how many fastbiter eggs there are.  

Some games would be nice, the easiest ones to code, maybe, would be maybe hide and seek and maybe tag.   Maybe bowling, they had one, I don't remember where it was shown, but they showed the end of it and Littlefoot and Spike were rolling a rock at a collection of pinecones stacked up sort of like bowling pins.  

The night thing may be easy or hard to code, no idea.  Part of the code may be color substitutions, if code can do that easily.  As seen on the show and movies, this color at night or in a dark cave is this other color.   Some silent movies would add a color filter, I think blue, to signify night.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
O yea if you want to make a day/night thing how are you going to do that with the timezones? Or can the hosters say how late it is?

Is this topic already for tasks? in that case just ignore my earlier option of creating a topic for it.

Edit: You know I like things organized :p

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It could be up to the hoster, or what their pc says the time is.  

As for other task or quest ideas, maybe episodes from other things in the similar genre, like Dink, could give some ideas, if some have seen those other series, or scenes from certain movies.

I wonder if it would have pvp, I don't like it, but from what I hear most players love that sort of thing.  

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
There are several scenes in the movies where following the tracks of others is involved. Maybe there could be a task involving the following of the tracks of another character in order to find him / her and to do so as quickly as possible as the tracks disappear before long. However, I must point out that I'm quite sure something similar was employed in a computer game of the Disney's Dinosaur. Maybe here we could make a kind of contest between players. One of them is on the run leaving tracks behind, the other one must find him or her. The one on the run must try to "escape" the pursuer. There could be stuff involved like track remaining visible on sand much longer than on rock but rock would usually be found along slopes and walls which would slow down the runaway respectively block his or her way in some directions.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
As for "sporting activities", we could have something like capture the flag.  Is this going to be a sidescroller or is it going to be 3d like Furcadia?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Is this topic already for tasks? in that case just ignore my earlier option of creating a topic for it.

Edit: You know I like things organized
This topic is really for general ideas for game content.  We can make a topic for Tasks, sure!

By the way, you don't have to wait for me to make topics.  If you think we need a new topic, feel free to make one! :yes

As for "sporting activities", we could have something like capture the flag.
I agree, this would be awesome!

Is this going to be a sidescroller or is it going to be 3d like Furcadia?
I've never played Furcadia but I think I saw screenshots.
It's going to be a 3D world, similar to MMO RPGs such as World of Warcraft, Silkroad, Guild Wars, etc.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Are there going to be classes, like story speaker, leader (? bad leader or whatever class Threehorn is that would include intimation), far walker, resident, ect.

And any restriction on certain types like good fast biters or sharpteeth that can live in the valley and do not eat dinos since some may want to play those types.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Are there going to be classes, like story speaker, leader (? bad leader or whatever class Threehorn is that would include intimation), far walker, resident, ect.
That is something we will have to agree on.

Right now I was picturing that the player simply chooses a type of dino (swimmer, longneck, etc.) and that choice of dino is the only variable with regards to the kinds of skills the player gets.

We can have a "class" system I suppose, but remember that our characters are kids.  They don't have the background to be a store speakers or herd leaders just yet.

Eventually we can have "Great Valley Resident" or "Farwalker", once we get the rest of the world closer to completion.  This will determine where in the game you start and what sorts of natural abilities you have, among other things.

Other than that....the kids probably won't have enough background to set up very destinguished "classes".  I'm interested to hear other thoughts though. :yes

sharpteeth that can live in the valley and do not eat dinos since some may want to play those types.
Sharpteeth..another one up for debate:
Will sharpteeth be playable (characters such as Chomper)?  How could this work?  Do we want to go there?

General Grievous

• Spike
    • View Profile
It would be difficult to have sharpteeth in the valley.  You would probably have a lot of people trying to play as sharpteeth.  On the other handwe could have playable oviraptors like Ruby.  That would be cool.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Kids would likely not have classes, but to make things easier it may be easiest, at the start, to have a type class like you mentioned, Swimmer, Longneck ect.  Classes could be introduced later once the rest of the code is smoothed out and the wanted the most areas are finished.  If the game will have skills one could have classes then done like a prestige class type of thing where one would need certain things to qualify for the class.  Maybe type specific classes, like whatever they'd call a flyer who is good at aero gymnastics and other fancy looking flying, a swimmer who does that but in water, ect.

As for young friendly sharpteeth or fastbiters, it may be nice to be those, but they are fairly rare in the great valley, but maybe up to the majority.  Fastbiters may be easier since once they are adults they are, I think, not to large and could maybe live on creepy crawlies, snapping shells, fish, crawlers, a full grown t-rex would be harder, though the pc's would be kids so maybe different.  Not sure what others think about this.  And some very small sharpteeth like Compagsanathus may be even easier then a fast biter, if anyone would want to play such a tiny when adult, dino.   Not sure about Troodons, since I've read that is some debate that they may have been omnivores and not just carnivores.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
As for playable characters/species:
Malte says (4:13 PM):
Longneck: Apatosaurus, Diplodocus, Brachiosaurus
Swimmer: Saurolophus, Lambeosaurus, Corythosaurus (more possibilities here)
Flyer: Pteranodon, Rhamphornychus (spelling), Guido
Malte says (4:14 PM):
Threehorn: Triceratops, Pachyrhinosaurus, Chasmosaurus
Spiketail: Stegosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Nodosaurus

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Jun 19 2008 on  05:15 PM
As for playable characters/species:
Longneck: Apatosaurus, Diplodocus, Brachiosaurus
Swimmer: Saurolophus, Lambeosaurus, Corythosaurus (more possibilities here)
Flyer: Pteranodon, Rhamphornychus (spelling), Guido
Threehorn: Triceratops, Pachyrhinosaurus, Chasmosaurus
Spiketail: Stegosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Nodosaurus
That looks very good!
Shall we add omnivore dinos(think Ruby, oviraptor) to that aswell?
Or is there different species of fastrunners etc?
We might just discuss 'till we get something good outa it!  :yes
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Not sure where Maiasaurs would be classified.  

As for different types of fast runners, maybe Troodons if we choose to go with the fact that Troodons may be omnivores instead of carnivores, or maybe even a herbavore.  

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Shall we add omnivore dinos(think Ruby, oviraptor) to that aswell?
Or is there different species of fastrunners etc?
fast Runners will officially be added to the game. :)
Discussion about the playable characters, their stats and what they can do may continue here:
http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...?showtopic=3701

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Kor said in another topic:
I also wonder how hard it would be to code a marker on the map, and maybe the directional thing, like in Oblivion where you can see where your quest goal is, if it is a set place like, can you take this to x place, can you go to x and do y.
Yes, absolutely we can do this.  I agree, a marker on a map is an absolute MUST in a game this size.  This will 100% happen eventually.

As for telling you where the quest goal is, I'm torn between simply showing it on the map and having the player talk to NPCs in order to gather clues to figure it out.  Marking it on the map would be easier. Getting clues would probably be more interesting.

Bear in mind that while I'm asking for assistance here, I will be throwing in my own touches to the game that I won't announce here.  I want to leave some surprises for my fellow developers. B)

Exploring is a good thing! Will a player be able to find hidden places? Maybe by leveling up or by completing tasks? That would be cool.
For sure!  Hidden stuff will be a major feature of this game!  We're encouraging exploration and hidden stuff is a perfect way to do it. :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe you can do both.  Maybe the marker can be an option to be turned on or off, up to the player.  I'd prefer to have it on,  since I get lost VERY easily, but someone else may prefer to not have a marker.  Or for some in the middle ground they can try to find it using the given clues, then when they start to get frustrated then can just turn on the marker.  Just one idea, no idea how hard it would be to code.

Hopefully no pvp, or it's only on certain very clearly marked servers.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hopefully no pvp, or it's only on certain very clearly marked servers.
There won't be any PvP except when all players agree to play a game together, like bowling or something. That is the closest thing we'll see to PvP.