The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Game content

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: action9000,Jun 20 2008 on  12:15 AM
As for playable characters/species:
Malte says (4:13 PM):
Longneck: Apatosaurus, Diplodocus, Brachiosaurus
Swimmer: Saurolophus, Lambeosaurus, Corythosaurus (more possibilities here)
Malte says (4:13 PM):
Flyer: Pteranodon, Rhamphornychus (spelling), Guido
Malte says (4:14 PM):
Threehorn: Triceratops, Pachyrhinosaurus, Chasmosaurus
Malte says (4:14 PM):
Spiketail: Stegosaurus, Ankylosaurus, Nodosaurus
 :^.^: Yay. Guido is in, great! I'll talk about him in the other topic though.

Hidden places, cool. All these ideas are sure going to lead somewhere
 :^.^:

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I have two more questions at the moment.

1. Will there be a chat feature like many other rpgs have?  It will make communicating a lot easier.

2. Is this game going to be exclusively for members of this site or will anyone on the net be able to play?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
1. Will there be a chat feature like many other rpgs have? It will make communicating a lot easier.
Sure will!
Here's what I'm thinking for chat features eventually.  By typing the command before chatting, you can address specific groups of people.  If you don't enter a chat command, the last one you used is assumed.  If you never used one, "All" is assumed.

/a - chat to everybody (all) connected to the game.
/p - chat with everybody in your group/party.
/w playername - whisper to a specific person (with the name playername).

so if I type
/a Hey all!
How's everyone doing?

Everyone in the game will receive
"Hey all!"
"How'everyone doing?"

2. Is this game going to be exclusively for members of this site or will anyone on the net be able to play?
Anyone will be able to play as long as they have this game on their computer.  Anyone will be able to host a game.  Anyone may join a game if they know the IP address of the host.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Fighting will probably exist in the game but it will occur EXTREMELY rarely, only with the situation absolutely demands it. As a result, most of your character's experience points will come from exploring and completing "tasks".

If you lose the fight, do you die? Or just retreat or something?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
If you lose the fight, do you die? Or just retreat or something?
That's something else still up for debate.

We were thinking one of two things:

1) You wake up back at your nest in the Valley, and it was "just a dream".  You can then continue on (you're back at your nest though) but you lose some experience points for dying.

2) You lose experience points, but you are brought back to life in a nearby safe location, so you don't have to get all the way back to where you were.

I plan on having a transportation system in the game for players to move around the large world relatively quickly.  We haven't agreed on a system for doing this.
I told Malte about an idea of simply setting up flyers' nests around the world, where you can hitch a ride to a location you've previously traveled to in exchange for treestars.

Malte gave me the idea of setting up points (probably rocks or something).  When you're near a location, you can click on the location to activate it.  You can then move yourself to another one of these points elsewhere in the world, basically skipping the "walking all the way there" step, fast-forwarding to getting there.

I figured that if we have a travel system in the game like one of the above (or something different), we can have the player wake up back at their nest in the valley, with a bit of inconvenience for dying but nothing too, too serious.

There are other ways to die besides combat, too.  If you fall off a steep cliff, jump into a volcano or meet some other unfortunate end, something has to happen.
It's something else to discuss, for sure.
Those are the ideas that we came up with so far.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Malte gave me the idea of setting up points (probably rocks or something). When you're near a location, you can click on the location to activate it. You can then move yourself to another one of these points elsewhere in the world, basically skipping the "walking all the way there" step, fast-forwarding to getting there.

that could also be something you earn, one of the early quests, i.e. befriend the Rainbowfaces of LBT 7 and in return they'll beam you where you need to go when you want to. Also saves the dilemna of how to explain teleporting rocks.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
that could also be something you earn, one of the early quests, i.e. befriend the Rainbowfaces of LBT 7 and in return they'll beam you where you need to go when you want to. Also saves the dilemna of how to explain teleporting rocks.
When it comes to LBT 7's aliens and technology, I like to pretend they never existed. :lol
I have no intention of beaming players anywhere in the game.

Also saves the dilemna of how to explain teleporting rocks.
They aren't so much "teleporting rocks" as they are "pressing the fast foward button on your DVD player while watching a movie" rocks.  The game basically takes you to your destination, with minimal wait time.  The idea is that your characters still walked there, you just didn't have to spend the hours in front of your computer making them walk there.

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
They aren't so much "teleporting rocks" as they are "pressing the fast foward button on your DVD player while watching a movie" rocks. The game basically takes you to your destination, with minimal wait time. The idea is that your characters still walked there, you just didn't have to spend the hours in front of your computer making them walk there.

Ah, I understand! Cool, that is a nice feature.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I didn't think of those rocks as some kind of "Teleporting device" when you go to them there could be a question like "Where do you want to go?" and a list of the other places with such stones which you have already visited. Once you choose a place there might be a little clip where you can see your character walk out of the screen or something. Those stones are NOT meant to be anything but something to help the player orientate him- or herself. Those rocks should never be referred to by the characters. They are not meant to be anything unrealistic. There would be just a time skip about some uneventful minutes of walking through places thoroughly explored already.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
O yea if you want to make a day/night thing how are you going to do that with the timezones? Or can the hosters say how late it is?
As for the day/night transitions:

I understand that some people will only be able to play in the evenings/mornings, etc.

As a result, instead of having the in-game time be directly the same as the server's time, I will use a ratio:
Game time will pass faster than the server time and game time will start at a random time when the host starts up the game.  As for exactly how fast time will pass, we haven't decided yet.  The day/night cycle will be significantly faster than real-life time though (probably 3-4 times faster but we're not sure yet), to give everyone an opportunity to experience all times of day in the LBT world.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Will there be any weather in the game like rain?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Will there be any weather in the game like rain?
That one's a "maybe".  The answer is:

If I can program weather effects, yes.  If I can't figure it out, no.

I know I can get fog effects, shadows, day/night/cave lighting to work, as well as colour filters for different environments if necessary...but rain...I don't know.  I'll try but no promises.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Today I had one idea which may be interesting for the game. Unlike most RPGs this game won't be primarily about fighting. Most of those games work with a Live energy bar which you can fill up by eating stuff (great cure to eat a piece of bread if an orc just hit you with an axe, no doubt about it). I think that perhaps we should make a different set of rules for such an energy bar.
LBT dinosaurs have to eat no matter whether they are injured or not. If they are well fed they would be best at performing their tasks. If you haven't eaten anything for a day or two you are not likely to be a very energetic climber or swimmer. Therefore I suggest that the energy bar will gradually lower itself through the game (faster while performing difficult physical tasks, slower while you are just walking or doing nothing very strainous). You won't die when that bar runs out (in case of the rare fights I suppose we need a different bar), but will have great difficulties to do any tasks your points for climbing, swimming, running and similar abilities may be halved or quartered if your energy goes below a certain point. Within the Great Valley it should be easy of course to find food to fill up the bar (there must be a way to let plants regrow), but in tasks which lead the characters into more hostile regions maintaining enough energy to perform tasks may be difficult. We might really come to appreciate what green food / a treestar means for the LBT characters when shortage of those disables our characters from doing many tasks. Also this setting of the game may come as kind of a "conscience" test in some situations. What if a group of characters is out in the wastelands and they happen to find one of the extremely rare treestars out there? Who is the one to get it and thereby being enabled to run, climb, swim, do whatever much easier than any of those who didn't get the treestar?
I really think such a setting may make the game much closer to LBT point of view than the traditional fighting game setting.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
One has to be careful that it's not done in such a way to be annoying to the players.

As for fast travel, that would mean time would be suppose to have passed during the travel, but since it's a muli player it doesn't really.  Folks would have to know that going from point a to b takes time instead of just a load screen.  Though it would be better then forcing folks to have to walk or run everywhere just to get to point b.  

Not sure about dieing, it could be you wake up in your nest and it was a bad sleep story, that is one idea, or at some other point is where you appear, as mentioned above.  

Also will the game have save points like console games have, or you can save anywhere or a mix of the 2?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay, I didnt think about the time thing in that way. Sounds a good idea in my ears.

Malte's idea of energy use is quite good, i think.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Maybe there should be an energy bar and a health bar.  Also, fighting shouldn't be the only way to die or lose health.  You could fall off a cliff, into a volcano, or stay under water too long, or listening to Spike trying to do Opera :lol .

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
Or talking to much with Chomper's parents... There is a lot of reasons, why HP bar can be reduced. :)

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Just a thought, but depending on how complicated these tasks become and how many the players may have at once, could some journal system be introduced? A little thing you can bring up to remind you of what needs doing?