The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Little help

raga · 9 · 1701

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Hey everybody, if u don't know I've volunteered to do some of the 3d modeling for the game despite the fact I had never done any modeling before.  I've been learning fast though and have decided that instead of making the wolf of some pictures the tutorial wants me too I'm going to make an LBT character instead.  Littlefoot has been taken by another modeler so he's out and after some thinking I have decided to do spike first.  He has the same basic body plan as the wolf, making it a little easier.  I was going to do Cera, for the same reason, but her frill is a bit too much right now.  So this is where all u come in, i need screenshots.  Here r the specifics I need:

1) screenshots CANNOT be from the first movie, Spike was changed a little from that movie and the sequals so I'm goin to stick with version with the most material

2) I need three angles.  Front view, side view (prefably right side, could be left though) and top view.  If u have other really good pics from different angles, send them, but I NEED those angles.

3) I know these get more difficult from point to point but bare with me, prefably I would like Spike to be the focus of the screenshot, this just means he will probably be larger in the picture and thats the only real reason y i want it.

4) This one is very important, as well as the most difficult.  I need spike to be roughly the same size in the pics, for example: If spike is two inches long in the side view picture, than I would like him to be two inches long in the top view.  I know this is difficult, I will be looking myself so I will share ur pain, but the closer we get to this the easier and quicker I can do this.

Also all these problems can be avioded if you have a Spike toy (not a stuffed animal one).  If u do could u please take pictures of the three angles listed and send them to me, it would make life much easier.

Thanks in advance for the help, u can get the pics to me by sending it to an e-mail i set up for any LBT stuff, andylbt@live.com

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Hey, Raga!
I appreciate your enthusiasm, and I feel kind of weird saying this since I'm so new here, I don't want to cross any lines...
But you might want to slow down a bit. There's a whole lot to think about before modeling a character for gameplay. Do you know how to rig it for animation, or properly texture and paint it?
I think it would be good if you took your time, finished up the tutorial stage of learning to model and really got comfortable in the program before doing this. I think in the end it will improve the quality of your work, and thus the in game graphics. The game will still be here when you get to that point :D

Of course if you think I'm being dumb and you want to go ahead and do it anyways, feel free to ignore me. Just a friendly suggestion, and my two cents :)

Clawandfang

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I'd agree with Wolf here; when picking up the basics of a program the other day I followed the tutorials to the letter, despite having a project needing doing on the prgram. I feel better for it. At the end of the day, if you jump in and make something before you've got the hang of it, then you're going to have to face the reality that at some point you're probable going to have to start that thing again from scratch for what you need it for, which is very dissatisfying. If you're happy to face that though then the best of luck to you.

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
This is the way I learn, if I take it slow I'll never finish.  Plus Im not going to get stuck, the guide im following is very open here, not demanding u make the same model they r, telling u how to react to differences.  And in reality the differences r small, spike is a plump version of wat their doing.  I don't expect it to been quickly, or easily.  I started this cause if anyone has the pics they will save me some trouble.  If a mistake is made, i fix it, no biggy.  My final result won't be spectacular but it will be something that I can work on and refine.  Besides even if it does get put into the game before I refine it (probably won't, probably wont even mention it till looks pretty good) its better than a cube.  I know wat im getting myself into

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
I'm glad you're taking on this challenge! But 'it's better than a cube' is not a very good attitude to have in regards to this. I'm also working on the modeling, and I for one want to see the best model work that all of the modelers can possibly achieve. That's why I made the suggestion in the first place. I never meant to question your decisions, etc. Just doing some unauthorized quality control :p

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
haha, don't worry, this isn't final.  Spike is similar to what I need to do, and i just felt it would be better to do this on an actual character than some model that will sit on my computer forever.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I never meant to question your decisions, etc. Just doing some unauthorized quality control
Much appreciated on the concern there, Darkwolf. :) Indeed, this project will be subject to some amount of quality control because of the complexity and size of it.  I'm sure everyone wants to see top-notch results and we'll do our best to achieve that. :)

haha, don't worry, this isn't final. Spike is similar to what I need to do, and i just felt it would be better to do this on an actual character than some model that will sit on my computer forever.
Totally makes sense, my friend. ;) I wish you the best and feel free to send me anything you want and I"ll critique it to the best of my ability!

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I have a lot of screenshots and can easily do more, but I've no way to get them to you unless you have a method or know of a way.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Don't worry about the how long the learning curve takes you raga. I've studied 3D modelling but not had much practical experience. It's gonna take some time to get to grips with. I can tell you for free mate that going through the "Blender from Noob to Pro" tutorials is the sure fire way to getting to know pretty much everything to do with modelling whilst using Blender. I'm still working through it and (much to the gracious patience of Action), it's giving me some wickid ideas on how to approach modelling some the characters.

He has the same basic body plan as the wolf, making it a little easier.

Funny you should say that, the Blender Tutorials teach you HOW to model a wolf from 3 photoshots. Just take your time with it. There's no rush and there's plenty to do ;)