The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Thread

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Part 5 (the final part) of Equestria Girls Rollercoaster of Friendship is now on YouTube.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2018/09/rollercoaster-of-friendship-part-5.html
And here's the direct link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hws5AD9nvCA
Like I said last week, there is no additional content in any of the five parts of this special. Also, after over a year of releases every Friday, it looks like there will now no longer be any new Equestria Girls content being released on YouTube for the foreseeable future. Haven't yet heard any official announcements for new shorts or specials, so we'll just have to wait and see.

And now for my review of this week's episode.
Spoiler: ShowHide
Applejack and Fluttershy are called by the map (which Twilight points out is the first time the map has called for the same pair of ponies a second time (their previous one was in Las Pegasus)) to the little-known place of the Peaks of Peril. The only information Twilight can provide came from Rockhoof's travels a thousand years ago: it is a realm inhabited by kirins, who are peaceful creatures, and niriks, who are vicious flaming creatures. Once they get there, Applejack climbs up part of the mountains only to have to turn back when she sees Fluttershy hadn't followed, and gets frustrated that it was because she was busy helping some squirrels build a nest. Fluttershy then has to break through Applejack's stubbornness in order to tell her that the squirrels had pointed out a much easier route to the kirin village. They soon find the village and although they find the kirin, they are surprised to discover that the kirin are completely silent and seem to express no emotions at all.

After many failed attempts to get any information, the village leader eventually points toward a rather dark trail. Fluttershy is too scared to consider the trail, so Applejack agrees to go alone while Fluttershy stays in the village to find any clues. Applejack goes up the trail and eventually encounters Autumn Blaze, the only kirin who actually talks, and happens to be quite a chatterbox too (and based on how many inanimate objects she's drawn faces on, it's obvious she's be completely alone for quite a while). When Applejack asks about why all the other kirin are perpetually silent, Autumn explains through song that kirins can turn into niriks if they get too angry, and that a past incident was so severely destructive that the village leader forced them all into the Stream of Silence, a magical water source that took away their voices and emotions. But then Autumn accidentally came across a cure for that magical silence, but her enthusiasm was unacceptable to the other kirins and they practically drove her out of the village. Now knowing the full backstory, Applejack realizes that to solve the friendship problem, they need to cure all the kirins of their silence, but unfortunately, Autumn hasn't been able to find any more of the flowers she had used for the cure. Even so, Applejack decides to return to the village to inform Fluttershy of her discovery.

When Applejack returns to the village, Fluttershy reveals she had discovered a depiction of the same past events Applejack had learned about, but Fluttershy's interpretation of it leaves her convinced that the kirins should remain silent, which stands at odds with Applejack's interpretation, who argues that the kirins shouldn't let a fear of anger force them to give up all emotions. The disagreement between Applejack and Fluttershy catches the attention of the kirin villagers and escalates to a point where they decide to drag the two ponies to the Stream of Silence, despite their agreed protests upon finding out what was happening. But before they reach the water, a nirik quickly cuts off the two ponies from the kirins and reveals herself to be Autumn Blaze, having gain remarkable control over her nirik form. After Applejack, Fluttershy, and Autumn discuss why it's okay to argue every now and then, the kirins decide they want to be cured like Autumn was. Despite worries over being able to make the cure at all, they soon find the needed flowers, which remarkably turn out to be what Fluttershy has used for nest material earlier in the episode. Autumn then mixes up the cure into the village's water supply and all of the kirins celebrate being able to talk again, thus completing Applejack's and Fluttershy's friendship mission.

This episode definitely had an interesting lesson that you shouldn't let a fear of anger or disagreement force you to give up trying to say or do anything at all. As for the kirins themselves, not once at any point in this episode is it even acknowledged that they're half pony and half dragon, and are thus treated as just another new race introduced to the show. Here, they all seem to be a sort of Jekyll & Hyde type in the form of kirin and nirik (which I just realized you can spell one by spelling the other backwards), and apparently their nirik side got so destructive that they essentially tried to suppress their emotions (kind of like the Vulcans of Star Trek). Autumn Blazed proved a remarkable exception to this perception as (much like with Bruce Banner and Hulk) she has learned to control her nirik side and even use it for good purposes. Finally, I should point out that in the few weeks that have passed between the Australian broadcast and the American broadcast, this was the one episode that by far made fans struggle to hold back any spoilers, so I think it's safe to say that this one will definitely be a fan favorite (even though I personally thought it was just a rather good episode).

By the way, it was recently announced that there will be a one-hour holiday special that'll premiere on October 27, so that'll be just two weeks after the season finale.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2018, 11:03:12 PM by The Chronicler »

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~SUMMARY POST~

I've made a decision to continue my usual stuff until the Holiday Special.  After that, I am officially done.  So yeah, just this last month and I'm done for good.

Anyways, here's the summary for tomorrow's episode.

----------------
Season 8 Episode 24

Title - Father Knows Best

Summary - When a strange dragon crash lands in Ponyville claiming to be Spike's father, Spike is ready to do anything his "dad" says in order to learn how a to be a "real" dragon.
----------------

Let me guess, it turns out to not be his dad in the end.

Anyways, we'll see if I get to post the Live Stream tomorrow.  Either way, expect the online version after I get home from work.

Until then, see ya later! :wave

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~LIVE STREAM POST~

On to the Live Stream for today!  Get the link to it below.

Season 8 Episode 24 - Father Knows Best Live Streams

As always, expect the online version later today when I get home from work.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~ONLINE VERSION~

Well, here's the online version of the episode.

Season 8 Episode 24 - Father Knows Best Online Version

Next time, the season finale.

See ya later! :wave

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
First of all, a completely brand new Equestria Girls short was released on YouTube this week.
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2018/10/equestria-girls-other-side-ft-rarity.html
And here's the direct link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alhJRfHCvcE
This one is actually a music video featuring Rarity, so there's not much for me to talk about here. What does make this worth watching is that, unlike virtually all the other Equestria Girls shorts that have come out so far, this YouTube release is the very first time we've seen it anywhere at all.

And now for my review of this week's episode.
With Spike still new to his wings, Twilight has been giving him flying lessons, though with mixed results. However, Smolder points out that Spike has been getting improper lessons because dragon wings are just not the same as pony wings. After some practice with Smolder, Spike's flying skills improve dramatically, and Twilight apologizes for failing to account for such a simple detail. Later, as Spike thanks Smolder for the flying advice, an overweight dragon named Sludge suddenly crash-lands nearby. Sludge tries to ignore them and walk away, but he's very obviously in a lot of pain from the impact, so Spike takes him back to Twilight's castle and the Main Six agree to care for him at least until he's recovered from his injuries. During the montage, Sludge appears to take every opportunity to be lazy (though Pinkie Pie cleverly finds ways to make him active enough for successful rehab), and once he's fully recovered, he's reluctant to leave, and goes so far as to claim that he's Spikes father.

Spike and the ponies are naturally shocked to hear of such a thing. When Spike asks about how he ended up orphaned, Sludge is initially hesitant and tries he best to explain, and when the ponies point out a number of questionable details in the story, he just brushes it off with the excuse of not knowing those answers himself. Regardless, Spike is very eager to spend time with Sludge and tries to go through a list of things he's always wanted to do with his father. Sludge goes along with it, and when Spike later asks about anything he's interested in doing, he seems to prefer to just lay around doing nothing. Through song, he practically manipulates Spike into giving up his room and living outside under the claim that it's "what real dragons do", while Sludge takes advantage of living in comfort.

Over time, the main ponies start questioning Sludge's lazy behavior, but Spike is too happy being with who he thinks is his father to care about any of that. When even Twilight starts to voice her concerns, Spike completely disregards her, leaving her heartbroken. Finally, once Smolder finds out what's been going on, she's quick to point out to Spike that Sludge's claims of being "like a real dragon" are actually ridiculous, and comes up with a plan to expose the truth. Spike, with assistance from Smolder, tries to convince Sludge to move out with him into a rocky cave "like true dragons", but Sludge is so opposed to abandoning the comforts of the castle that he angrily admits that he totally lied about being Spike's father, and with his fraud exposed he has no choice but to leave anyway. Spike is devastated at first, but then apologizes to Twilight for his earlier behavior and acknowledges that his real family has been with her all along.

Well, there's this running joke among fans that most episodes that focus on Spike are typically going to be rather poor episodes, and I'd argue that this one is no exception. As early as the recovery montage, I found it very obvious that Sludge was just some lazy fat guy, and after he claimed to be Spike's father, I knew as early as his flawed story that he was probably lying about the whole thing. At least Smolder is around to offer Spike much more reliable information on true dragon culture. In fact, this is the second time this season that Smolder has helped Spike better understand things about being a dragon, so I'm not sure if that says something positive about Smolder or something negative about Spike (I'm personally leaning towards the former).

- Berix

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~SUMMARY POST~

So this is it!  The finale of Season 8.  Unlike most summaries, this one will be Spoiler Tagged due to the sensitive nature of it in terms of plot.  Read it if you dare.

------------
Season 8 Episode 25 & 26

Title: School Raze

Summary Part 1: When the magic of Equestria mysteriously begins to fail, Twilight leads her friends on a quest for answers, leaving the School of Friendship open to attack from a dangerous mastermind.

Summary Part 2: While Twilight and the rest of the Mane Six try to escape Tarturus, Cozy Glow furthers her plot to take over the School of Friendship with only Twilight's students and the CMCs to stop her!
-----------

There ya go!

As usual, expect the Live Stream if EqD posts it before I head to work tomorrow.  Either way, expect the online version tomorrow when I get home from work.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~LIVE STREAM POST~

Well, here we go!  The Live Stream of the Season Finale.  Get the link to it below.

Season 8 Episode 25 & 26 - School Raze Live Stream
Season 8 Episode 25 & 26 - School Raze Live Stream

I'll be posting the online version after work.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~ONLINE POST~

Well, here we are!  The online version of the Season Finale.  Get the links below.

Season 8 Episode 25 - School Raze Part 1 Online Version

Season 8 Episode 26 - School Raze Part 2 Online Version

Next time, the Holiday Special.  It'll be the last time I'll be covering the show like this.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
First of all, for the first time in over a year, there is no new Equestria Girls video on YouTube this week, so it looks like "Season 1" is officially over. However, there are images out there that seem to indicate that it won't be long before we see some new content once again.

And now for my review of this week's new episode.
It starts out as a typical day at the School of Friendship with Cozy Glow helping out anywhere she goes, especially with Twilight as one of her most trusted students. However, the field trip to Cloudsdale is cut short when Starlight's cloudwalking spell suddenly fails, and although thankfully everyone is saved, the problem becomes much worse when unicorn magic all over Equestria mysteriously starts failing. While Twilight and friends speak with the princesses about it, they receive a letter from Star Swirl claiming that by the end of the third day, all magic in Euqestria will be gone forever. Following a tip from Cozy Glow, Twilight believes Tirek might be behind all of this, so she and her friends decide to visit Tartarus to find out, leaving Starlight in charge of the school.

The Main 6 and Spike travel to Tartarus, and when they reach the gate, Twilight no longer has any magic to open the gate, but Cozy Glow had packed a special key that could open it, though it breaks after it is used, so once they step inside and the gate closes behind them, they have no way out. Due to the failing of magic, all of the dangerous creatures locked away inside can't cause any harm to the ponies. They eventually reach Tirek, and although he denies any involvement in Equestria's loss of magic (after all, he's still locked up in his cage), he does mention exchanging letters with a penpal on the outside and doing so to share knowledge on how to take away all the magic in the world.

Meanwhile at the school, Starlight has vanished and Cozy Glow assumes control, but the Young 6 students are immediately suspicious of Cozy's excuse of where Starlight went. Later that night, they notice Cozy leaving the underground cavern they had visited not too long ago, so they follow her to find out what's going on. However, when they get to the office, they find Chancellor Neighsay has suddenly assumed control of the school in spite of Twilight's or Cozy Glow's wishes, and when they discover the Young 6 eavesdropping, Neighsay immediately locks them away under his twisted belief that all the non pony creatures are to blame for Equestria's loss of magic. However, Sandbar convinces Neighsay to let him go by claiming to follow the same racist belief, though it's soon revealed to be just an act as Sandbar immediately asks the Cutie Mark Crusaders to help him free his friends. They plan to also ask Cozy Glow to help, but when they find her in the cavern, they discover that it's actually Cozy Glow who's been draining away all the magic, using the six magical artifacts kept in the school and even trapping Starlight in the resulting vortex, all because Cozy wants to rule the world as the "Empress of Friendship".

In Part 2, Twilight is shocked to learn that Cozy Glow has been working with Tirek, who proudly claims revenge by causing them to be trapped in Tartarus, though it seems he failed to realize he would be still trapped for eternity with them until they specifically pointed it out. Twilight and her friends need to figure out a way to escape, but although much of their magic is already gone, Twilight realizes she could use the trace magic that make up all the imprisoned creatures to open the gate. Fluttershy convinces the creatures to help out, and Pinkie Pie forces Tirek to also help by threatening to deliberately pester him for all of eternity. The plan works perfectly, and Twilight is able to pull the gate open just long enough for her and her friends to escape. Unfortunately, they discover that it's already so late on the third day that they'll never make it back to the school in time to save Equestria.

Meanwhile at the school, Sandbar and the CMCs free the rest of the Young 6 and they come up with a plan to stop Cozy Glow. Later, Neighsay attempts to forcefully change the school to strictly follow EEA guidelines, but with some encouragement from Cozy Glow, all the other students rise up against him and the angry mob chains him up in the office so Cozy can continue Twilight's friendship lessons. The CMCs try to distract Cozy, but she sees right through the diversion and locks them in a closet. However, the diversion works as the Young 6 are able to free Neighsay and explain to him what's really going on, so he uses his magical medallion to instantly go to Canterlot to warn the princesses that Cozy Glow is the one behind Equestria's loss of magic. Not willing to simply wait for help to arrive, the Young 6 go down into the cavern and figure out that they can stop the loss of magic by removing the artifacts powering the spell. However, Cozy Glow stops them and convinces the other students that the Young 6 are the ones responsible for what's been going on. In the resulting struggle, some of the Young 6 end up trapped in the vortex with Starlight and the rest are pulled in as they tried to pull them out. This kind of sacrifice causes the other students to start questioning Cozy Glow, but she just rants about being incredibly powerful due to possessing the magic of friendship, bragging that not even the Tree of Harmony could stop her now.

However, the Tree of Harmony does save the Young 6 by pulling them out of the vortex, allowing them to remove the magical artifacts to break the spell, thus instantly restoring all magic to all of Equestria. As all of the main groups soon come together, Cozy Glow defiantly tries to retake control over everything, but that won't happen now that everyone knows what she's really up to, and her attempts to escape are blocked by practically everyone all around. Later, in a conversation with Twilight and Celestia, Neighsay concedes he was wrong and not only allows Twilight to continue running her school but also even renounces his racism. They then see the Young 6 practicing graduation under the belief that saving Equestria means they don't need lessons anymore, but Twilight points out it'll take more than a single semester for them to learn everything they can about friendship. As the CMCs are finally freed from the closet, everyone wonders what will happen to Cozy Glow, and we see her end up locked in a cage in Tartarus right next to Tirek.

Wow, this two-part episode sure had a lot of things going on. First of all, I'm sure a lot of us had suspected for a long time that Cozy Glow would do something evil in this season finale, though I'm sure few of us correctly predicted the details. For example, I had assumed Cozy and Neighsay would somehow be working together, but it turns out Neighsay was just a pest getting in Cozy's way. Another speculation I had was that the episode would end with Cozy Glow reformed, but not Neightsay. Instead, the exact opposite happened, and I will say this: I actually love it when this show goes completely against some long-held speculations. As for Cozy's motivation, the best I can figure out is that due to the number of times Twilight and friends had saved Equestria using the Magic of Friendship, Cozy Glow wrongly believed that friendship results in great power, and refused to change her twisted belief when Twilight tried to explain otherwise. I find it hard to believe that Cozy would be simply tossed into Tartarus without any attempts to reform her, so my belief is that off-screen, such an effort was made, but she proved to be unable or unwilling to change her ways. It was quite a shame that the Cutie Mark Crusaders tried to help save Equestria for the first time, only to quickly end up locked in a closet for the rest of the episode. However, I definitely liked the role the Young 6 ultimately played here, and I certainly look forward to seeing more of them next season. (And I agree with Twilight: saving Equestria just once doesn't automatically make you a master at friendship.)

I still intend to continue posting reviews like this with all future episodes of both MLP and for Equestria Girls. However, one thing I am curious of is if anyone even bothers to read any of this. I'm honestly starting to feel a little lonely here.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 10:25:47 PM by The Chronicler »

- Berix

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~SUMMARY POST~

Well, this is it, my last Summary Post ever for this topic.  I don't feel this to be a bad note to end on.  Anyways, get the summary for the Holiday Special below.

-------------
Holiday Special

Title: Best Gift Ever

Summary Part 1: It’s the holiday season and PRINCESS CADANCE, SHINING ARMOR, and BABY FLURRY HEART are traveling to Princess TWILIGHT SPARKLE to celebrate in her castle! When they arrive, TWILIGHT SPARKLE is super stressed to find the BEST GIFT EVER, but eventually they learn that friendship is everypony’s favorite gift of all.

Summary Part 2: It’s the holiday season and the pony friends are galloping through EQUESTRIA to find the BEST GIFT EVER for each other! Throughout their adventures, they come to find that friendship is everypony’s favorite gift after all.
---------------

The main reason the summary is two parts is because this is how I found it.  It's hard to put them together in this case.

Anyways, expect possibly Live Stream and Online Version tomorrow.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~LIVE STREAM POST~

My final Live Stream Post ever.  Get the link to the Live Stream below.

Holiday Special - Best Gift Ever Live Stream

As always, expect the online version after I get home from work.

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Dammit, my subscribed letsplayer! After your single last video I didn't manage to hold myself and finally decided to learn what this series is and is it so good.
And right now, I have already watched full 4 seasons in 9 days. XD
Though, since it doesn't make me to create new episodes in my mind or universe analyzing, I won't be fan of this series. Just another nice cartoon with my lovely 2D animation. And srsl, I thought there would be more ACTION! XD

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
~ONLINE VERSION~

Well, my final Online Version Post.  I'll start binge watching the season eventually. (I have a few things I want to finish before I move on to MLP.) Not sure when, but in the meantime, get the online versions below.

Holiday Special - Best Gift Ever MEGA Version

Holiday Special - Best Gift Ever Vault Version

Enjoy and I'll see ya later! :wave

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Considering that the latest season had far more episodes leaked or released early than those that premiered as intended, it actually felt nice to be going into today with absolutely no idea of what to expect (let's just hope that next season will do a better job preventing the chaos of leaks and early releases). Anyway, it's certainly neat that this is the first one-hour special (actually 44 minutes) this series has ever had (third if you include Equestria Girls content), and there sure was a lot going on (hopefully I'll be able to cover all of the important stuff in my review).

Hearth's Warming is just a couple days away, but as everyone is preparing for the holiday, Twilight finds herself in a mad rush to get everything done in time (grading papers at the school had reduced her free time, and with Shining Armor, Cadance, and Flurry Heart coming over leaves her with even more things to get done). As her friends all get caught up in it as well, Applejack offers a solution that one could easily imagine such a large family as her's has done before: giving only one gift to only the individual whose name is blindly picked from a hat (while also keeping secret who they will be giving that gift to). The main 6 (plus Spike) agree to the idea and the names drawn are; Twilight gets Pinkie, Pinkie gets Twilight, Rarity gets Applejack, Applejack gets Spike, Rainbow Dash gets Fluttershy, Fluttershy gets Rarity, and Spike gets Rainbow Dash.

Spike is so desperate to give a gift to Rarity that (after asking Applejack to clarify the rules) he first must figure out who got Rarity, and upon discovering that Fluttershy has it immediately trades with her, so now Fluttershy has Rainbow Dash and Spike has Rarity. After that extra effort, he goes around town and quickly finds himself overwhelmed with trying to find what could be a good enough gift for Rarity. Eventually, he decides to just return home and make his own gift, but has ended up so tired that he falls asleep halfway through his effort.

Rarity had already mail ordered a specially designed western hat for Applejack, so she is convinced that all she needs to do is wait for it to arrive. However, when the package doesn't arrive, she is forced to ask Derpy at the post office for where it went, only to find out that it was mistakenly sent to an acorn farm (anyone who's dealt with poor customer service can probably relate to Rarity in this scene). Once she arrives at that house, the family who lives there are thrilled to learn who had ordered that hat, because the young colt had been struggling to figure out who he is and now had finally discovered his calling in life lies with fashion. After some friendly talk, the colt acknowledges that he was not the intended recipient of the hat and offers to give it back to Rarity, but after seeing how happy it made him, she decides to let him keep it, even though it leaves her with nothing for Applejack.

After trading with Spike, Fluttershy meets up with Applejack, and when neither of them can figure out what to get in town, Fluttershy suggests going to Rainbow Falls, where she had gotten plenty of Hearth's Warming gifts before. But just as Fluttershy is about to grab an ideal gift for Rainbow Dash, she finds herself following a crowd who are fascinated by "this year's hottest toy" (actually a very shoddy doll that says questionable remarks) and the suspicious salesponies convince her to buy one with all her bits. When she shows it to Applejack, the later immediately points out what a terrible mistake the former had made, and they soon discover that the saleponies are none other than Flim and Flam in disguise, intending to use their ill-gotten profits to expand their resort. Fluttershy and Applejack understand they can't force the other ponies to not buy those awful dolls, so instead they put on a little act pointing out to everyone why "this year's hottest toy" is not necessarily the ideal gift for anyone. Although they successfully expose yet another Flim and Flam scam, they had run out of time to find any gifts for Spike or Rainbow Dash, so they decide to settle with the poor quality dolls they got as at least something to give.

Pinkie Pie had planned a bunch of matching gifts for all of her friends and finds herself super frustrated that she must now give only one gift to Twilight. After talking about it with her sisters, she decides to seek advice from the yaks, who always talk about being best at everything. However, Prince Rutherford secretly reveals to her that the only thing yaks don't consider themselves best at is gift giving, but he does offer her secret information on a secret location far to the north where she could obtain the best gift ever. When she arrives, she finds a house inhabited by three magical reindeer. (I can't remember which is which, but their names are Aurora, Bori, and Alice (I'm sure you can figure out what those names together reference), the oldest specializes on the past, the youngest specializes on the future, and the middle one specializes on the present.) The reindeer give Pinkie what they know will be the perfect gift for Twilight, while also telling her a special message that she can't quite figure out.

Twilight is naturally obsessed with finding the perfect gift for Pinkie Pie, and after some extensive research decides to bake pudding following the exact recipe done by Chancellor Puddinghead at the earliest Hearth's Warming celebrations. However, she spends so much time making that decision and gathering ingredients that she has gotten almost no progress on decorations when Shining Armor, Cadance, and Flurry Heart arrive earlier than originally planned. Despite her denial, they can easily tell she's obsessing over something. When her efforts to perfectly make the pudding causes her to miss out on spending time with them as a family, Shining Armor and Cadance have a talk with her, and she finally agrees to set aside her gift effort for the moment, unaware that Flurry Heart had decided to randomly add ingredients to the pudding.

Rainbow Dash is annoyed that Fluttershy wasn't specific about any likes or dislikes, but when she decides to just get a simple candle for her, Discord shows up to point out that, as a dear friend of Fluttershy, he knows it would not be an ideal gift for her. Rainbow tries a few other ideas, only for Discord to discourage her from all of them. Discord eventually convinces Rainbow to accept his advice, so he brings her to a forest to find a mouse-like critter for Fluttershy's animal sanctuary. But as soon as they return to meet with the others, Discord (being the troll he is) had failed to mention that particular critter turns into a giant monster after sunset.

When everyone meets up at Twilight's castle to exchange gifts, the first few to arrive are disappointed to have nothing to show for their efforts, then the rest end up being followed by trouble, with the mouse monster coming from outside and a magically enhanced flood of pudding coming from inside. As the monster is distracted by Spike covered in shiny materials from his gift, Discord reminds Fluttershy to do what she does best, and she is able to calm the beast down. As the magical pudding threatens to engulf everyone, Pinkie opens her special gift from the reindeer and it turns out to be the exact ingredients needed to disable the magical effects of the pudding. Later, as everyone settles down for exchanging gifts, despite not having much to give, everyone seems to be okay with the results. When Pinkie mentions the special message she was told by the reindeer, Twilight realizes that it was a riddle, and the answer to it is that friendship is the best gift ever.

Well, seeing how long this review turned out, I think it's obvious there sure was a lot going on. In addition the all the major events I just mentioned, I did like some of the minor stuff going on as well. It seems that after having the Apple family celebrate at the Pie family's home previously, this year the Pie family is celebrating at the Apple family's home, with the addition of Grand Pear and Big Mac's girlfriend Sugar Belle. We also got a brief glimpse of Starlight celebrating the holiday with Trixie. I also liked how the three magical reindeer lived in a place that would make most of us think of Santa's place at the North Pole. And one thing I particularly liked was how in the opening song we saw the Young 6 (in winter clothes) boarding a train to return to their homes, and in the closing song we saw among the many highlights were scenes of places like Yakyakistan and the Changeling Kingdom celebrating their versions of the holiday. All in all, definitely a worthy holiday special for this show.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2018, 09:32:35 PM by The Chronicler »

- Berix

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The Christmas special was a blast. Very fun to watch, lots of references to other Christmas specials.

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Just recently revealed is that there will be three holiday-themed pony shorts on YouTube (I think this might be the first time we've seen such exclusive shorts for the Friendship is Magic series rather than Equestria Girls). They were released early in Chinese, but now they're starting to become available in English. Officially, only one of them has been released so far (the other two apparently got released early as some fans have uploaded them on DailyMotion, but as I've done before, I will not share any links of early releases, as I prefer to use the official links), so here's the link to that video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcVY2BBPNvA

Rainbow Dash and Applejack are at it again with daring each other to do extremely difficult tasks. After both of them fail every single dare challenged to them, Pinkie Pie shows up and decides to break the tie by daring them both to not make any more dares, and when they both immediately refuse, Pinkie declares herself the winner of the dare challenge.

Not much for me to say for this one. It's pretty much the just usual shenanigans between Rainbow Dash and Applejack.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The second holiday short is now officially available on YouTube, so here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_AiUlnKzG4

Pinkie Pie gathers her friends for some holiday fun by turning Applejack's barn in an escape room (like what they did in an episode in early Season 7). However, all of the tasks they have to do to find the key seem to make absolutely no sense at all, and once they eventually hit the time limit, the "penalty" is just Gummy being flung out of a giant present.

This short also didn't really interest me much at all. Sure, the escape room concept is neat, but applying Pinkie's complete randomness to it just ruins the experience for me. I'm not surprised at all that Pinkie was the only one to actually have fun, while the others were just flat out confused the whole time.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
And now the third and final holiday short is officially available on YouTube, so here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T4R4JpW6ho

At the School of Friendship, Rarity is attempting to teach the young six students about making Hearth's Warming dolls, but gets frequently interrupted by various announcements over the intercom, each with a different voice. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy are also just as annoyed, so the three of them go to confront the speakers, only to discover that it's only Applejack with an incredible talent of many voices. This give the others an idea to let Applejack use her talent in telling the story of Hearth's Warming to the students.

Unlike the other two shorts, I actually liked this one. Sure, it was understandably annoying that Applejack waited a few seconds between each different voice, but you have to admit that it's quite the talent. Not to mention, I'm always pleased to see the young six students, even if it was brief and with none of them saying anything.

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
No word yet on Season 9 of FiM, but Season 2 of the Equestria Girls series exclusively on YouTube has been announced. In fact, the first episode is scheduled to be released tomorrow, with each new episode coming every Friday (as was the case with Season 1). As I did last year, I'll review these Equestria Girls shorts/episodes every Saturday.

https://www.equestriadaily.com/2019/01/equestria-girls-digital-series-season-2.html
https://www.equestriadaily.com/2019/01/more-details-on-equestria-girls-season-2.html

- Berix

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Alright, first Equestria Girls short of the year is out now. Looks like this first set of shorts will feature the main cast doing various things as if they were uploading their own YouTube videos, so this should be interesting. Here's the first one, featuring Spike the dog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgvGSp7bRrE

Spike's video "for his fans" is an unboxing of various (highly expensive) dog toys, his favorite of which being just a stinky sock. Near the end of the video, Twilight walks in and is very displeased with his $200 purchase, forcing him to rebox all that stuff and return it.

I didn't really like this one much, though I did find it rather amusing to see what a talking dog like Spike would probably do if he had a blog or a social media account.

- Berix