The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Great Plague RP Discussion thread

Ducky123 · 192 · 19011

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hey guys,
I'm done with the planning of this RP so we can start now.

Here's the plot:

Something's wrong in the Great Valley: All grown-ups suddenly feel weak and depressed. Though they try to hide it from their little ones the smart Gang finds out about it. Since their illness gets worse with every day there's only one choice left: Sending the kids, who aren't infested, to the Land of Mists where weather has changed meanwhile to get the Nightflowers, who cure almost all known illnesses, for the grown-ups.
There in the Land of Mists, where it's still dangerous, they meet Ali - the little Longneck girl they got to know years ago - again. But things have changed. Ali's not the Ali they knew.
Will they find the Nightflower for the grown-ups? Will they cure their illness? And what's Ali's secret?

Alright! This takes place shortly after the TV-Series.

If there are any suggestions regarding the plot, tell me. It's not the final cut ;)

Despite of that we'll start the character taking: These Characters are available:

Narrator: Ducky123
Littlefoot: LoyfeCycleProtector
Cera: Kor
Petrie: The Anonymous Person
Ducky: Ducky123
Spike: Dosu2Dinner
Chomper:Sleeping-force's-inside
Ruby: StrutEggStealer
Ali: StrutEggStealer
Old One: Dosu2Dinner
Grandma: somerandomfangirl
Grandpa: somerandomfangirl
Topsy: Mr Wonk
Tria: Ducky123
Mama Swimmer: Kor
Mama Flyer: Kor
Redclaw: The Anonymous Person
Screech: The Anonymous Person
Thud: LoyfeCycleProtector

Everyone can have more than one character, depends on the amount of Rpers :)
There might be characters that appear later in the story, I'm not sure about that yet...

Now that everything has been said: Join the fun!!!  :exactly

EDIT: colours:

=character is free
=character is free but someone 'might' take him unless another person wants to take the character
=character has been taken
Inactive, probably forever.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Oohh, interesting plot, Ducky.

I'll probably wait and see how this one does before I give out the plot that I have. Well, I'll probably just wait until it's finished just so we don't cause too much confusion with 2 RPs at once. :yes

I think you know who I'll want... :D

Actually, for now I'll just take Grandma if someone else wants to have Grandpa, I don't mind. If not, I'll take him too.

I really do hope others join in. I think we do need more than just two people in an RP to be honest, just to make it more fun, and perhaps we can also get to know each other better. :yes

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Not sure who to pick, especially of the gang. I've rped as all of the gang, but most often I've done Ducky or Petrie.  

I do wonder if some of the other characters may be there that the gang met near the end of the movie, guess we'll have to wait and see.

MurMur

• Petrie
    • View Profile
So you have decided to use my plot, Ducky123. I'm so happy. :angel

I hope this is going to be a spectacular adventure. But I'm not sure about my own participation in it. It's very likely that I won't be able to post quickly enough, and this may slow down the game. Still, I'll be glad to help you with more plot ideas, if needed.
Just one note: those red and blue letters are a little hard to read. I suggest you to make them yellow instead, for readers' convenience. That's all for now, and have fun!

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Guess who back? Back again?
    • View Profile
While RPing usually isn't my thing, I had already said to Ducky123 that I'd gladly give this interesting RP a try! Also, if I do this, please excuse any inaccuracy I may have, as I have only seen one TV episode fully ("The Days of Rising Waters"), and have yet to see the rest of them.

Otherwise, I'll do it! I'll play Petrie 'cause he's so cute! I might also do Spike as well unless someone else wants him. I might even be the narrator!

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Quote from: MurMur,May 25 2013 on  10:41 PM
I hope this is going to be a spectacular adventure. But I'm not sure about my own participation in it. It's very likely that I won't be able to post quickly enough, and this may slow down the game. Still, I'll be glad to help you with more plot ideas, if needed.
You can still participate if you wish, MurMur. It doesn't matter how slow paced you think you'll be. If you want you can have someone to fill in for you until you can post, but I think with the amount of people thus far willing to join I think this will be quite a slow paced RP anyway, just so that everyone can get a fair chance. :yes

And I'm sure you'll get the hang of it, Anonymous! It's kind of like writing a fanfiction with other people in a way. Also, I don't know if knowledge of the TV series will matter too much, so don't worry about that. :DD

I'm glad this RP has captured the interest of more people. It'll be great to roleplay with such a group! :wow

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

MurMur

• Petrie
    • View Profile
But the problem is that I don't know how such games are played. I've never participated in a roleplay. How it is decided who gets the next turn, for example? And what should I write in my posts? I'd be glad to hear some advice.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
somerandomfangirl: I totally agree to you :) It is more fun to play with a lot of different people who have different ideas and writing styles, indeed :yes I'd really like to get to know some members better, this was one of my thoughts when I decided to plan this :)

Kor: yep, we'll see. I suggest you to wait a bit until picking your character(s) since you earned a lot of RPing experience :yes

MurMur:  You're welcome :DD
I doubt we'll made 20 posts per day... so pacing won't be a problem I guess. And I see that you're on here daily... so you can post daily here :) If this is going to become too fast, some members with not so much time like me for example couldn't follow the action anymore. Thus I'd suggest that we shouldn't post too much :yes
As I told you already you could take characters that might appear later in the RP so you have some time until then to practise your English, which is pretty good(already told you that as well :P:)

I'll change the colour of the plot to yellow... I have a reason for making the character's names red though ;)

The Anonymous Person: I'm glad you'll try it :)
hehe, I just started today :lol seen the one with Doc and the one with Rhett :lol:

MurMur

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I'd like to play Ruby. Still, I need some advice on how to play.

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I'd love to be Chomper, so I'll take him if no one objects too much.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
But the problem is that I don't know how such games are played. I've never participated in a roleplay. How it is decided who gets the next turn, for example? And what should I write in my posts? I'd be glad to hear some advice.

Well, someone will post when they feel their character(s) can make a contribution to the plot, like asking or answering a question, or even if they just trip over or something like that. There isn't really a set order for it.

To do a roleplay, all you really need to do is post a couple of sentences showing your character's actions. For example, one person will post:

Littlefoot quickly ran up to the rest of the gang, and he was clearly worried about something.

And someone else (probably Ducky123 in this case :lol) might reply with:

Ducky also seemed worried about something, but was surprised to see Littlefoot running up to her and the others looking the same way.
"Littlefoot, what happened?" she asked.

The post can be as short or as long as you like, from a few words to about four or five sentences. These are just a couple of shorter examples.

If you want to just watch and read what others post for a bit after it starts you might get the idea of it, and I'm sure you'll get the hang of it once you join in. :yes

I hope this helped you a bit MurMur.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm the narrator of course and Ducky :DD

MurMur: I'm pretty sure Kor can help you... he's an advanced RPer :) I'm not sure whether I can explain that good enough though  :neutral

EDIT: somerandomfangirl: I think that's actually a good try :)

to Loyfe: We'll wait until the person we're waiting for to post posts. If there's no reply for 2 or 3 days someone can 'fill in' --> posts for the person whomm we're waiting for :)
Well, that's what I suggest(could be asked here in this very discussion thread) I hope this is clear enough :)

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
So is there a limit to how in depth we go for characterization? Like, would giving thought text on how a character would respond to a situation, or if they have insecurities and doubts be too much? Or should it strictly be simple thoughts, reactions, speech, and actions?

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
So is there a limit to how in depth we go for characterization? Like, would giving thought text on how a character would respond to a situation, or if they have insecurities and doubts be too much? Or should it strictly be simple thoughts, reactions, speech, and actions?

Nope, you can honestly put whatever you want, Loyfe. If you want to go into your character's thoughts a bit more, then that's fine, and might actually make it a bit more interesting.

I agree with Ducky123 on asking Kor if you need help, Murmur. I know my explanations aren't really the best. :p

MurMur

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Thank you, somerandomfangirl. That is exactly what I wanted to know. Your explanations are very valuable.
So I have decided, I will participate in this game.

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Oh, that's cool. This is exciting: I've never done a roleplay with more than three people before.  :DD

One last question: if we wanted to add a detail or thought from our own character WITHOUT signaling that we think our character can contribute (aka, not asking for a turn) should we put a little symbol by it to alert everyone that it's just passing detail? Like:

'Wait, since when did Mr. Threehorn care about herds outside the valley?' So and so thought #

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
I honestly don't think that would necessary, Loyfe. If you just want your character to do something even if it doesn't contribute to the plot much, just put it in there. To be honest, anyone's welcome to post what they please. The only thing you really have to do is make sure you do is make sure the story doesn't wander from the plot line we are given, and that's something we need to do together. Yay for teamwork! :D

Thank you, somerandomfangirl. That is exactly what I wanted to know. Your explanations are very valuable.
So I have decided, I will participate in this game.

Great to hear! And thanks, good to know that I don't entirely suck at explaining things.  :lol

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Guess who back? Back again?
    • View Profile
Good stuff, considering I've never been involved in a RP either!

BTW, I'm most certainly doing Spike, 'cause I can!

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Thanks Somerandomfangirl.

Hmm, we're still missing people for three crucial characters: Littlefoot, Cera, and Ali. How many other people are expected to come?

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Quote from: LoyfeCycleProtector,May 26 2013 on  12:09 AM
Thanks Somerandomfangirl.

Hmm, we're still missing people for three crucial characters: Littlefoot, Cera, and Ali. How many other people are expected to come?
No problem. :)

And I'm afraid that is a question I cannot answer. :lol
However, I do expect that there will be a couple more members joining. Perhaps we should give it the next day or so to give members with different time zones a chance to pick characters and stuff. If those characters don't get chosen... well, we'll discuss that later. :yes