The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

My wisdom teeth

Jrd89 · 47 · 6665

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
**This is a post to kick off my own wisdom tooth thread, because I believe that Chapter 1 of this experience may have happened today.

Now guys.. right now, an appointment for the removal of them has not been scheduled yet, but i'll keep you updated. :( as you can see, I am very afraid/scared about it and all of the pain that are known to last for several days on end after the removal! :unsure: :unsure: :unsure: :cry :cry :cry **

Today I had a dentist's appointment (just for a normal cleaning and x-ray.)

:unsure: In the cavity inspection, I had 1 small cavity starting.   I have 30 teeth, and to give you a hint.. it wasn't on one of my main 28.    It was on my top left wisdom tooth (I have 2 top ones, none on the bottom have grown in yet. i'm 24.. so it looks like I got "half" lucky and got 2 instead of 4. I'm lucky about that.

I am very scared/worried though.  I've read reviews people have written on their own Wis. tooth removal experiences.  Even some have said it takes 4 weeks for the teeth and gums to fully completely heal.  *THAT scares me*

But my mom said "it'd only take a week for me to heal." I think that's how long it took for her to heal.

**There's NO set appointment date to have the teeth pulled right now. I'm just shaky/kinda sweaty as if the appointment is tomorrow. The only thing that my mind seemed to be stuck on this afternoon was the wisdom teeth. the pain. the dentists extraction tools! !  O_O   The BLEEDING!! o_o   o_o   The "dry holes/in case blood clots DON'T form" that people wrote in their own experiences.

BTW, Neither of my 2 wisdom teeth are impacted either. they're in straight.

I'm very afraid/scared of the pain/swelling/bleeding/aches.

:(  If the dentist would've said.  "no cavities" then I'd be happy doing my normal stuff right now and wouldn't have to go back until my next cleaning appointment in March.

I mean.. when that small cavity was pointed out on my top right wisdom tooth.  I was thinking in my head "oh s**t.  oh s**t.. Oh. no..  oh no.  that's it Jared. That's it.  Dead end. Game Over, Check-mate.  You "have" to get them pulled out. You can't just let a tooth with a little cavity just sit in your mouth with all of your other nice straight teeth and ruin your mouth. :(

I think Ptyra got hers removed in about.. '10, and Flipperboidskua said that she got hers pulled in like.. '12.   And today, after the cavity discovery, I think I just stepped on deck to having mine pulled. : (   it "is" the right thing to do though.  (I'm just very very scared of the pain.

I HOPE none of my gums or nerves gets DAMAGED in the removal!! O_O that's ANOTHER thing i'm REALLY really scared of. My feet are shaking, i'm trembling a little, and my heart rate goes up a little when I think about the wisdom teeth getting pulled out. and i'm a 24 year old guy (but I sure don't have any tough/brave guts on me right now.) : (  

The best part is at the very end when the gums have fully healed and when you can return to eating normal solid foods once again. ; )

I figured i'd start my own personal "wisdom teeth" thread of my own. A cavity was seen on my top right, and that has just started my own personal experience. :(  

I'm very afraid of the pain, the bleeding, and the swelling and aches. : ( I need comforting.  

*but getting them pulled is only the right thing to do. I'm just afraid of the pain in the experience itself. :(*

I haven't had any teeth pulled out of my mouth in 10 years (2003, when I had my last 8 baby teeth pulled out when I was 14.) And i'm VERY scared about the wisdom teeth, because they are big, rooted teeth in the back of the mouth and are much more painful to get out.

:( I don't know how long/wish I "knew" how long it'll take for them to heal after they're pulled. : ( Gosh, I hope my mom's right about the one week. (that's how it was for her when she had hers pulled. and remember, it's 2 teeth, not 4, and they're NOT impacted either. They are in straight.)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I had my wisdom teeth pulled in 2005 or 2006. My jaws were sore and stiff for a while and it was hard to eat. Ice on the jaws helped them feel better, but I had to take a lot of advil to kill as much of the pain as possible. It did soon go away and I was fine.

The recovery time varies from person to person. My sister also had her wisdom teeth taken out but she recovered in just a few days, while it took me weeks to recover. You might get lucky and not take as long to heal.

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I'm gonna need plenty of comfort from you guys leading up to the day of the pulling *which like I said.. is still unknown*. :unsure:   I'm glad you're all here for me, and I appreciate your consideration and your comforting. The more the comfort, the less worried i'll be about getting the wisdom teeth pulled and the pain. :(

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I had my wisdom teeth pulled a few months ago. The actual process of getting them pulled isn't all that bad: your so full of novecabe and laughing gas that you can barely feel anything (although it does create a very unpleasant feeling in your stomach for reasons I probably shouldn't mention here). Much more annoying is the healing process. It'll take about a week, and you'll have to get used to gauze being in your mouth, but as long as your don't strain your mouth you'll be fine.

I recomend finding something for youself to do after your teeth get pulled. Find a non athletic project to pursue: read a non challenging book, of watch a movie. I satchel the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre during my bed in, and it was an interesting experience. When your getting your teeth pulled, what helped me was to think like an author: I sort of detatched from muself so I could observe what the operation felt like. I spent over half of the operation trying to describe what I was feeling (I eventually settled on (pulling macadamian nuts out of hard putty) and before I knew it it was over.

I won't tell you this will be a plesant experience, because it won't be. But it's also not the worst thing you've ever experienced. You're tough, and I have no doubt you'll make it through this.

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It's really not that bad. I had mine pulled in... I think it was 2007 or 2008. Can't remember as it was awhile ago. The extraction itself they knock you out for (at least I'd recommend being knocked out for it), and then you're fine for a few hours as the anesthetic wears off. Then yes, you experience pain... a lot of it, but it's only really bad for a day or two, and they'll usually give you narcotics to cope with it. Even so, the pain's still noticeable, but by the third or fourth day it fades dramatically, and you just basically have to maintain a soft diet for a week or two and you're back to completely normal. My friend had his out this year and he was fine after not even a week. He had them pulled on Tuesday I think, and he was able to pick me up in DC the next Friday to go to a ball game, driving his car and everything. He admitted a dull pain when he ate, but that was about it.

In terms of pain (I've experienced a lot in my life), it doesn't come close to kidney stone pain. That's FAR worse. Worst pain I've ever had (aside from maybe a really serious case of food poisoning I got as a kid and the C Diff infection I had earlier this year)). It'll hurt, for sure, but fortunately, it only lasts a day or two where it's really bad, then starts fading after that.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
Ah, that sucks Jared. Sorry you have to have it done. I haven't had my wisdom teeth removed, but my dad has, and what he said about it is pretty much what everyone else has already said. He wasn't knocked out for the procedure, but they'd numbed his mouth so it wasn't painful, he could just feel them pulling around.

Afterward he said it ached a little, but like Pterano said they gave him some painkillers, so even that wasn't too bad. He just had to keep eating soft / liquid food for a little bit.

You'll be fine, Jared. You can show those stupid wisdom teeth who's boss  :)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
When I had mine taken out, I had to be put under. At least one or two wisdom teeth did not emerge. So I felt no pulling or anything. I was out and before I knew it, the process was done.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
I had mine pulled before my Senior year, I think. The problem was that I got my first big ear infection right on top of it. That was where the main pain came from. My ear canal was so sealed up, the physicians couldn't see past it with their normal ear-checking tools.

The nice thing was that I had my parents all to myself that week :) .

I was also put under, and the last thing I remember was the surgeons putting a blanket over me. The needle didn't even hurt, but I could feel the effects of the drug XD

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
well, after today I feel a little better. : (  It should be thought of this way..

"Jared. : (   You have a cavity in there.  You can't walk around with a cavity in your wisdom tooth. Over time, the cavity could get larger *even though it's a smalll one now*

"Jared, when you get them pulled, think about this.. you'll be getting rid of 2 bad things in your mouth, not just 1. The 2 wisdom teeth and the cavity too."  : (  Do not tremble/panic.  You'll be doing a very good thing for your mouth. You can't walk around with a cavity in your mouth. That's obvious, point-blank. The Dr. can't fill the cavity, it's in your top right wisdom tooth. The only way to get rid of the cavity, is to have the tooth pulled out." : (

**I've tried to forget thinking about it today and think of some fun/other stuff to take my mind off of it.**  I don't know "when" the date of the pulling will be. But I will say, this evening, i'm not quite as scared, sad, and down as I was yesterday and earlier today.** It's just working out the emotions and the worries.

"Jared.. if the wisdom teeth stay, the cavity stays, too.   If the wisdom tooth (or I can choose to have both wisdoms pulled at once, too.)  Then the cavity is gone AND so are both of your wisdom teeth, and as soon as your gumline is completely healed, and you can eat hard, solid foods once again.. you are going to feel wonderful.

If you take proper care of your teeth for the rest of your life, then you won't have to get any more teeth pulled out of your mouth for the rest of your life, too.  Think about that."

That's what i've been thinking in my head, today, guys. the day started off "scared/worried/sweating/shaking."  But now it's more..calmed. :(  I realize I have all of your comfort and support, too.

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
Like Ptyra, I had my wisdom teeth pulled before my senior year. The worst thing that can happen is a dry socket, which is when either the wound where the teeth were gets infected somehow or you get debris such as food stuck in the wound.

That happened to me, and I couldn't even stand to eat foods such as applesauce, cottage cheese and so on. I had an ice pack on my right cheek more than I was on the computer. My mom had to get antibiotics, I think, and it took a couple days to stop the swelling and pain. (My parents said my right cheek make me look like a chipmunk.)

Also, if your dentist/doctor/parents didn't mention it, you can't eat anything past midnight, if I remember right, the day before you go to get the wisdom teeth removed, or you'll vomit because of whatever they use to knock you out for the surgery.

(Sorry about any inaccuracies with what I said. It was early June when I had my teeth removed, so somethings may have slipped my mind since then.)

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Also, if your dentist/doctor/parents didn't mention it, you can't eat anything past midnight, if I remember right, the day before you go to get the wisdom teeth removed, or you'll vomit because of whatever they use to knock you out for the surgery.

No, Adder. They did not tell me that. Thanks for the info for the future. ;) and that's a very good idea.  No food past midnight of the night before the pulling appointment, and MAKE SURE that the mouth is clean before going in for the pulling, too.

:) Thanks.  That makes very good sense.

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
But to be safe, I wouldn't eat anything past 10:30-11:00 PM. That's what my parents had me to do, to be specific. I just mentioned what my dentist had told me in my first post.

Nahla

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I had my Wisdom Teeth taken out in March this year,honestly yes it does hurt for a while. Then it nums up and slowly fades. Just don't eat any hot food or drink hot drink for at least 24 hours after you get it done or it is just gonna burn. They gave me anesthesia when I got it done so I didn't feel the pain of them actually doing it,can you maybe get anesthesia as well? It normally costs more though. Oh also your mouth is gonna bleed for a bit,just keep your mouth wet with lots of water.

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I had my Wisdom Teeth taken out in March this year,honestly yes it does hurt for a while. Then it nums up and slowly fades. Just don't eat any hot food or drink hot drink for at least 24 hours after you get it done or it is just gonna burn. They gave me anesthesia when I got it done so I didn't feel the pain of them actually doing it.

I'm sure that they will either numb my mouth up or put me to sleep during the pulling,  Nahla. ;)  I'd rather be put to sleep during the procedure.  

That's enough dental drama for right now. :unsure: That's all I have for news about my wisdom teeth.  I'll keep you updated if I learn anything new. There's a small little cavity in the top right one, the dentist said it needs to come out. I agree. I can't sit around with a cavity in the back of my mouth.  I'd like to get it over with and get both of my wisdom teeth out in the same appointment when the day comes.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sheesh, my experience makes these other stories sound like a root canal experience or something.  I had no issues when I got my wisdom teeth removed in 2004, just after I graduated high school.  I had to have four wisdom teeth removed.

The thing with me is that I have an extremely high pain tolerance.  I have found out in recent years it's hereditary, and is most likely due to my nervous system missing a significant number of pain receptors.  The women in my biological family have even given birth to babies without any painkillers whatsoever, claiming they remembered little to in some cases no pain when giving birth :blink:.  Keep in mind though such a thing can be just as much a curse as it can be a blessing, especially if you have something internal like appendicitis, an infection, or a rupture.

I don't need any painkillers to have my teeth worked on.  I once even had a cavity filled by having a tooth split down to the gumline and didn't feel it.  However, when I got my wisdom teeth removed, my dentist suggested I get the novocaine shots "just to be safe", so I did.  I was awake the entire time, and all the dentist did was take a pair of pliers and break my wisdom teeth right off the jawbone.  It sounds like you're chewing on tortilla chips, so it's not sickening ;).

I was given a Vicodin prescription, but I never needed it.  I got home and slept off the novocaine, and was back to eating normal foods that evening but nothing too hot or freezing.  I kept gauze packed on my jaws when I ate, but I was good to go by the next day.  I would use a Waterpik device to clean the "craters" out :p.  

It's really not a bad procedure at all.  Just keep in mind when you make your appointment that it's not like you're making an appointment to have your spleen removed.  This is probably one of the safest, easiest procedures out there :yes.

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Sheesh, my experience makes these other stories sound like a root canal experience or something.

Cancerian: :yes I already knew that there were going to be members with their own unique stories on how they got their wisdom teeth out, and that noone was going to have the exact same story as another member. We're all different in our own ways, and I understand that.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That was meant to be a joke on how easy and painless my experience was compared to others.  Sorry that came across differently than I intended :rolleyes:  :p.

Jrd89

• Petrie
    • View Profile
shoot.   :slap  :oops   Sorry that I didn't get that joke earlier at first. ;)  

*No virtual issues?  No way!  It hurts! :blink:

If getting wisdom teeth pulled didn't hurt, then I wouldn't have written this thread in the first place. :DD Lol!*

Zimba

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I was 8 when I got mine taken out..10 years later I still think it was quite scary for me.

Be happy your not gonna be a scared 8 year old little girl.

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
This is a little late, but is your dentist absolutely sure that he can't fill the cavity? Because otherwise, if your wisdom tooth wasn't causing you any problems, it doesn't necessarily have to come out (at least that's what my dentist told me).

I had one of mine removed last year, but only because it was causing me all sorts of grief by rubbing against the side of my mouth.  <_< They only gave me local anesthetic and I was awake the whole time. It wasn't near as bad as when I had four pulled when I was a kid. It really almost just popped out.  :blink:

It was sore afterwords for a while, but it was manageable pain.