The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Why does everyone hate "Good Inside"?

Guest · 32 · 4115

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
However, people are not saying on the day they are born that they will be terrorists, rapists, killers, etc.  It's the ENVIRONMENT they are raised in, not the way they are born.

To say not everyone is good inside is basically saying people are either born bad or born good and nothing can be done about it.  Everybody is in fact good inside, so I find no offense in the song itself, but rather the negative reaction it is receiving from fans.  

What if the song was about everybody being bad inside?  Because we're all mortal beings, we all have bad in us as well.  People would have a fit hearing a song like that, though.  Why is there a double-standard going on?

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
I agree with what CT said.  I think that there is the potential to be both good and bad in every person, and the decisions people make determine whether we see them as good or bad.  

Though I think we might be treading dangerous waters on this topic.  

About the song, I don't really care for it, but I don't hate it.  Usually I only judge songs based on their melody because I don't really listen to the lyrics that much.

Ghostfishe

• Chomper
    • View Profile
...I don't see anywhere above that it was said that it was the way they were born at all.  :unsure:

Environment can play a large factor in a person's life, but people can still choose to rise above circumstances, even truly horrific ones, just like they can choose to wallow in petty difficulties. There's still a level of choice involved.

The song isn't problematic because it talks about everyone being good vs. everyone being bad. The song is problematic because it uses an absolute to describe a much more complicated issue, which can't be summed up that simply. They could have made a song that talked about how "everybody makes mistakes" or something to that effect, which could have been a lot more balanced, accurate, and safe.

Everyone has the potential and the ability to do the right thing and to do good by others, but some choose to squash that potential. Even to say that "everybody [has the potential to be] good inside..." is dangerously misleading, because it leaves out the fact that "...some people choose not to be".

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I still have to disagree. The song's message still seems problematic to me as it's too vague. From what I recall, nowhere in the song did they even talk about "good vs bad"; it only talks about how everyone has a lot of good and want to do the right thing, which is not true and doesn't take into account diversity. It ignores that some people can be downright nasty. The song isn't about the potentiality of someone being good; it just flat out says that "everybody has a lot of good" and "everybody wants to do the right thing".

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I may have mispoke a little in my post. I agree that nobody is really born bad, but in most cases bad people become bad at a certain point in their life, and then they lose all the good inside of them.

I just don't like how the song tries to tell kids that every person in the world has good inside of them, because that's not the case.

MC CJ'S REVENGE

• Chomper
    • View Profile
The song has a nice tune to it, but I'll tell you right now not everyone has good inside of them and I can name a long list of people that had more hate then good.

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
I think I see the point you all are making now; it is definitely not a good thing to tell little kids that every mass-murderer just needs a big hug to bring out the "good inside" them.  

I just hope that I'm not offending anyone, because that is not my intent.   :unsure:

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yeah I know the meaning behind the song was horrible and bad. Even good people don't have good inside of them. No one has good inside of them. It's sending a very wrong message to the kids. And it;s kind of a horrible song but I still listen to it when I can. It's very bland and very preachy. Everyone no matter how good a person seems to you they're still rotten and very bad,

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Everyone no matter how good a person seems to you they're still rotten and very bad,
^ Who? I don't think anyone else said what you seem to interpret into somebody's statement.

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
I actually liked Good Inside when I first saw the LBT 7 when I was a kid.
Also re-watching it now Petrie's line "But it's juuuuust pretendly!"  cracks me up! XD

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I don't know why people wouldn't like this song. Some of the opinions having been uttered earlier in this thread aren't comprehensible. Relax, guys, as a youngling, you don't really pay any attention to the message of movies, songs etc. anyway.

I'm working on a redo of my opinions of all songs so the reasoning of my opinion of "Good Inside" can be read there once I'm finished.
Inactive, probably forever.

Ludichris1

• Spike
    • View Profile
While the song's message seems a bit overly dramatic, I think it still rings true. Remember how Petrie said "See Pterano act bad, but he still good... someplace inside." People change in different ways throughout their whole lives. In the song, before, and after, one could also attribute the 'messages' of the song to each character: Ducky, the optimistic, didn't lose all faith; Petrie, Pterano's grandson(?), didn't want to think his uncle was unwaveringly bad (which he wasn't), and Cera was firm in her views that everyone has a strong dark side to 'em.

I think some people might be forgetting the 'inside' part lol. It's not "Everybody is good" or "everybody is good sometimes" but "everybody has good inside." Seemingly, the ability and history to be good in some way. I think we should remember even the worst of people still have a soul :). I guess the song should have mentioned HOW much good inside and how often it is used. Because even though Hitler was married (and had kids?) and Stalin created (Edit SOME) beneficial reforms, they were still pretty bad and I don't think ever changed after a point. I guess it might depend on the person's point of life and record :o? Dunno!