The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Google Stadia

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, Google has introduced their approach to gaming.  Introducing Stadia.

Note: Give yourself a little more than an hour for this.

Note 2: Skip to 15:40 to begin.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUih5C5rOrA[/youtube]

I must say, this has potential.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 02:28:24 PM by pokeplayer984 »

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I was in the audience when they announced it at GDC (and the mysterious 'empty exhibit' they made for hype the previous day
mysterious 'empty exhibit' they made for hype the previous day). The journalists were all whispering in the audience, the hype is real. If Google pulls off cloud-based gaming, this could be the big thing that pushes the industry to the next-generation.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've only skimmed through the video at this point but I must admit I'm a little skeptical. I'm a bigger fan of owning your games and being able to play them offline. With streaming you also run into possible latency issues and that alone is enough for be to lose interest. We'll see how it looks in the end though.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The idea is interesting, but I wonder if the average consumer will have a decent enough internet speed to have the games be both responsive and pretty. I for one am wary of lag. Then again, I've been using my Steam Link to stream from my PC to my TV and that hasn't got any noticeable delays. Can Google do the same from such a distance between server and client?

It will never fully replace physical copies for me (although I haven't bought a physical copy of a PC game in years). However, streaming a bunch of games will make it easier for me to play games that I would probably never have bought otherwise. If this turns out to be a good development, I'll probably invest in getting it.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
First wave of games for Stadia, along with pricing for the service below.

https://youtu.be/k-BbW6zAjL0

Well, time to see where this goes.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Again - I'd like to see it in action before believing their promises. If they can pull it off - absolutely amazing.

That 'Get Packed' game looks really fun :D

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
We are getting near launch day and Stadia isn't looking that good for opening day.  You'd think that with their capital that they would go out and get as many studios as possible.  Yet, here we are and the line up is disappointing.  Not to mention a lot of important features are missing.  It's going to be incomplete at launch.

I'll wait and see if improvement happens.  Besides, I'm paying enough with Netflix and Disney Plus at this point.  At least Disney knew how to throw around their money.  Google's just being a cheapskate at this point.