The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Misc. Hobbies

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I have a model P-51. I also want to get a model of Bismarck,HMS Hood Prinz Eugen,HMS Norfolk,HMS Suffolk,a model of the IGN Yamato,A model of HMS Prince of whales,,A model F-22,a Model F-15,and a model A-10. Ace Combat is my other hobby the epicness of the music is so epic! just listen for yourself
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8l_o5MRx3A
Epic describes this music prefectly.

The Dark Patriot

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
I've started collecting Halo ActionClix. Here's a pic of my current collection:

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
The hair gel is a nice touch.

Hobbies...hobbies...well, I used to have a wicked army men collection, but they're back at my parent's house. I don't really see them much anymore.

The Dark Patriot

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Update: I now have a Scarab. Cost me ~$300, but I think it was worth it. I just scattered my unique clix around it. Makes a better display place than the small area I was using before, and the Scarab's too big to fit on anything I have that is not being used...It has four combat dials. This'll be brutal in a match, I think.

Vaan360

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I used to have lots of hobbys, now they were reduced to a few.

Reading,web(including GOF),playing games, listenig to music, amateur drawing :p, some writing, and I think that¥s all.

Cancerian Tiger Posted on Mar 4 2008, 11:02 PM

I also play a Yahoo! game series called Mystery Case Files

Well sometimes I play a detective game where you have to find the murderer in every case, with the clues you find, iits called Sleuth.

Its actually good the game, its an online game:[/color][/b]

http://www.playsleuth.com/

Try  it yourselfs :^.^:

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I like to collect any sort of item related to The Land Before Time of course, and one of my anime collections. I collect anime things for: Dot Hack, Digimon, Pokemon, One Piece, InuYasha, Mega Man Battle Network, Dragon Ball/Dragon Ball Z, and Naruto. Most of the stuff is just movies, video games, and graphic novels though. I also have collections I work on: Sonic the Hedgehog, Spyro the Dragon, and The Legend of Zelda. And as they are for collection, most movies and video games I get for those categories I leave sealed to make the collection a bit more valuable. Then we have a very common thing: coin collecting. 1964 or older, any bicentennial, worth .50 or more, or from another country. Right now I have a lot from Canada, Africa, Japan, some from Italy, and one Jewish coin. I like collecting any thing associated with my religion as well, though, so far, it's mostly just a lot of books. And finally, my most enjoyed thing to collect: grammar skills. I am constantly reading books on proper North American grammar and they are very fun to read. Words and sentence structures are a key to writing efficiently. And those books have some very unsused yet important facts to assisst in writing and speaking interestingly yet properly.

I know we get along these days with the grammar that everyone has, but all you MMORPG fans out there will understand this metaphor. You go to a new town and buy strong weapons that everyone uses- thye're very common yet still useful. Then you go into a dungeon filled with rare items (yay)! where you find a rare weapon that almost nobody has that is very potent in battle. You leave the dungeon and meet your party members and you go to fight some boss. The others pull out their "typical" weapons, but now it's your turn to draw. Are you going to just stick with your standard weapon just because it always works and all your friends use them, or will you pull out your rare weapon that the others aren't used to and totally wail on the enemy? Pretty obvious choice to me. What I am trying to say is, just because the standard grammar that everyone uses works all right, why not search for uncommon grammar rules to really be impressive in the world? So that's what I've been doing. You may think you know grammar completely, but how many of you know this without looking it up? It's something I read in my most recent grammar book I borrowed. You all know about contractions. It's- it is. Won't- will not. But how many others here know what o'clock is a contraction for? My point proven. It's always such an eye opener to say the whole thing in a conversation. Later!

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
What I am trying to say is, just because the standard grammar that everyone uses works all right, why not search for uncommon grammar rules to really be impressive in the world?
It is kind of a "double edged sword" (picking up the example you gave). It is of course a good thing to have a the ability to express oneself on very high levels, but it should also come along with the sense of when very complex structures or terms are in place and when they are actually impressing anyone, or when they appear to others as a kind of signal for a "better than you" kind of attitude that is not going to impress anyone and that may often be labeled with some justification as immature.
Some scientists and philosophers struggle as hard as they can to write down their ideas but not really sharing them with anyone but a very small "elite" capable of understanding the terms they use. When there are two words for exactly the same thing (I am not ignoring that different words for the same thing may differ very much in connotation; which must not be ignored when choosing the right words) and one of the words is far-spread and well known while the other is unknown to many, it is often the better choice to pick the word which people will understand.
There are different schools of linguistics which can be roughly divided into the "prescriptionist" and the "descriptionist" schools of linguistics. The aim of the "prescriptionists" is to put down one set of grammar rules and words as the one and only proper way to use a language.
The "descriptionists" observe language the way it is used no matter what is written in grammar books.
Personally I would ascribe myself more to the descriptionist view, because it gives credit to the fact that languages are changing. New words and constructions are appearing and disappearing and many languages have uncountable dialects and accents which can enrich the flavor of a language quite a bit.

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
How true. I didn't see it like that before.
When there are two words for exactly the same thing and one of the words is far-spread and well known while the other is unknown to many, it is often the better choice to pick the word which people will understand.
How bitter it was for me to learn that. It was always so confusing when I'd always look for the rarest words that meant what I wanted to express and my essays would be full of them. I'd always read mine aloud, and eveyone would get so annoyed at how they couldn't follow it at all. Any rare ways of speaking, as it would seem, should be used with extreme discretion unfortunately. I wanted utmost originality when I wrote but it does seem to really bother most people. I guess I can't impress someone who doesn't understand me, eh? But still, I do find it pleseant to learn more about that stuff, even if just for the fun of it and not to be able to use it much at all in my writing or conversation. Thank you for the descriptive explanation.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
There is absolutely nothing wrong with learning more about it; nothing wrong at all. I think at times I too am difficult to understand for the language I'm using, so we are going through the same learning process. Sometimes very high style of language is in place. I guess one thing that kind of "cured" me was reading parts of Hans Jonas' "The Imperative of Responsibility". The man just used a language that was almost impossible to understand (I do not know though if the English translation is as inscrutable).
I am not suggesting any crude language (except as a stylistic mean in fiction), but one that can be well understood. There are moments where strong words are needed to stress the importance of a point which might otherwise get lost in pretty words, but to strong words can also destroy the message of what is being said.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I've recently taken up line-dancing.  I also like to meditate, hike in the great outdoors (always been the adventurous type :smile) along with other outdoor activities, and shop :p.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thought I might as well share my lion king collection with you guys. It's not too much but it's something at last.

(Bigger picture)

What you can see in the picture:

Lion king movies, 1, 2 and 3(1,5 for our american members) 1 and 2 on VHS & DVD
7 simbas
3 pumbaas
Zazu
Scar
My lion king music snow globe!
A Comic book from the first movie
My french lion king cap

I also got(not on picture):
A Kovu&Kiara Blanket
About 5 random plushies
One bigger Pumbaa plushie.
A lion king cup, with simba on it.
Timon & Pumbas Jungle Games(PC)

I think that's it.

platvoetje

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/monsterhunterkill
i have a pretty large dinosaur collection.. i collected them when i was joung they're still in my room with al their glory and power :lol
i think i'm gonna make a picture :D
my real hobbies are gaming and sporting (mostly sporting)
i love the feeling of a backwards salto or backflip! or a double one but i only did a double one once :unsure:  it's too dangerous :confused

platvoetje

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/monsterhunterkill

this is my dinosaur collection from when i was little :)
it doesn't look like it's much but if you see it with you own eyes it's a huge collection.. not as big as malte though :lol  none will beat him :angel

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
(Hope it's acceptable for me to post in this thread.)

I used to collect, still do sometimes if I see a nice one.  Keyrings.  I have many from different countries, one of my favourites is a Panda from when we went to Hong Kong.  

I also collect The Lion King merchandise when I'm able to.  So hopefully during the Easter holidays when we go to England, I'll be able to get some more.  

I used to collect also, dinosaurs and models of cars but my Mum threw them away when we moved to Switzerland the first time.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
sure you can post Saft.. I used to have a rather motley collection of pink-colored things, from pens (with pink ink) to markers and other assorted things..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh good, thank you Nick.

I used to collect Ty Beanie Babies...I still have them but I no longer collect them.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
My sister did too Saft. My brother collected tons of Pokemon-related stuff..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I have the Ty-dyed Batty.  He was the first who I ever got.  

When I was younger, around three.  Apparently according to my mother, I would collect Pegs...

My recent hobby collecting is beer caps.  I don't know if beer caps in America have the numbers on the inside but they do in Europe.  I think I'm becoming a bit like a horder.....

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I;m much the same way, in america its called being a "pack-rat".
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Ah, so then I'm a Pack-rat.  

In England it's generally called the 'Magpie effect'....or perhaps that is just a Liverpool expression?