The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Lessons from LBT 14

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I will not discuss in detail what flaws Journey of the Brave has but there are many things that Universal could/should consider doing if they wanna continue the series (which we all hope is going to happen!)

A few good arguments have been uttered over in this thread
  • The series has to take a different direction.

Let's be honest, LBT 13 already made me feel they were slowly running out of good ideas for more kid-friendly LBT movies, where the gang is the same as ever. As Weird Raptor pointed out in the other thread, they could
    start expanding beyond the original gang of five and create new main characters.
    That'd give them a huge pool of possible stories to take inspiration from. New (main)characters, other settings etc. or prequels, telling things like the story of Littlefoot's (grand)parents, Chomper during his exile from the gang, Ruby and Chomper meeting, some more backstory on Shorty/Ali etc etc... You see, they surely wouldn't run out of ideas if they think about the plotholes of the series alone ;)

Another aspect that would also take this "new direction" route is "Next generation" (or at least the gang being older). I think there are plenty options for this one, it's just a matter of personal taste to see the gang we grew up with as adults, possibly with children of their own or just going on epic grown-up adventures :p . I wouldn't mind as long as the series keeps growing (with good and enjoyable content, that is)

• The series must return to the feels of the earlier movies

This is one aspect I can't agree more with. Many children in the 90's grew up with TLBT. I regularly receive comments on DeviantArt from users who thank me for reminding them of these great times through my fanart of the series. All of these people are a major target group (not to mention their children) but you won't keep them entertained with silly characters, a plot with more holes than plot and no exciting and thrilling villains, fights and obstacles. The first movie gave us all of that in abundance!
Adding a few of my own ideas now...
  • Listening to fans/working together with us

I know this sounds crazy when you read this at first but think about it... I don't think there can be any better critique/review than one out of the mind of a true LBT fan who truly loves the series! So why shouldn't we be allowed to help Universal come up with good stories, characters etc. and support them as they animate the movies? There are many issues of course that would have to be cleared first (like... if we'd be rewarded in some way... or logistical issues if they needed us at their studios) but I feel like this is one possible approach how to make the series great again...

Moreover, some fanfiction authors have written epic tales which, if they were original stories, would probably sell really well as novels... and they would also be a really good basis for new movies /tv-series... possibly directed at older audiences purely (rhombus' "The Seven Hunters" come to my mind... you can't let a young kid watch a series based on that!  :p)

• Fill plotholes instead o creating them!

Well, as already mentioned earlier in my post, we could probably go up to LBT 20 or even further with movies filling the most obvious plotholes of the series (ty-series not included!) without problem... think about previous movies and reference them properly. It can't be that hard. Fanfiction authors can do it with no problems and they don't get paid a fuck :bang

• If there's a secondary character who would fit into the concept of a future movie, use them instead of making new ones!

Well, this is mostly directed at LBT 14. I'm sure you all know which characters I'm talking about... if not...

Why didn't Shorty return when Bron did? What did we do to deserve something like Wild Arms instead of Shorty?! Ridiculous!

and last but not least...

• better animation...

I don't really like the animation style of LBT 13 onwards... some people say it's improved... I just think it doesn't look true to the older sequels. The character designs even in LBT 14 sometimes just don't look good, sorry :neutral

What I would like to see here is a step back to the time of... say... LBT 7-9. The animation style was a good compromise between the advantages of traditional and digital animation in my opinion. From LBT 10 onward, the digital part took over with every new sequel (LBT 12 being an exception due to the amazing backgrounds and landscapes it had imo). This point is purely personal preferance though...
You guys can come up with any more?
Inactive, probably forever.

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
Not sure if you already point this out, but one thing I know they should not do what LBT 14 did. NO BLOODY CARTOON SOUND EFFECTS EVERY 2 MINS!
That was my core problem with LBT 14 on par with the stupid hot and stinky song..
In my opinion cartoony sounds just don't fit with LBT. I mean just imagine if they'd used them in the first movie.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The problem with most of the sequels is that they don't really establish anything new. JOTB for example basically is just a trip to the mountain and back and the lesson is something thar was already covered in the first movie. Also, they have usually lacked Bluth's overwhelming emotional drive. The ideas aren't bad per se as you have showed in Shorty's Dark Past. LBT 10 could have been a great film if it had developed the characters more, especially their complex relationships. As it is, it's mostly just lackluster. Don't get me wrong, I still love most the sequels but it's almost sad to think how much more they could be...

Bluth managed to struck the perfect tone for the universe. I kinda still think of it as a dying world with a few sanctuaries here and there to support life. Of course the sequels showed that things are getting better and I don't really know which vision is better. What the series really needs is a sense of threat in the Mysterious Beyond. I mean, in the Meadow of Jumping Waters the Gang just marches out of the Valley without good reason? When they know there are sharpteeth? Hmm... There was this fanfic Journey of a Forgotten Past that sums up what I mean with this comment.

Of course, the sharpteeth aren't the only thing that needs to be improved. The spiritual part of the first film is something I've been wanting to see in the sequels. LBT isn't really a supernatural series but a few nods to that direction could work. What I don't like to see is the Rainbowfaces returning. They worked well in one film but if they return and let everyone know that they're aliens...    :cry