The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Legend of Zelda (all)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Discuss any aspect of the 'Zelda' series as you wish here. Let's get this ball rolling, and...*ahem* (calms himself) well, enjoy.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Lets get some posts going here. What is your favorite Zelda game and why? I think that my favorite would be Zelda: TP because its way bigger then Ocarina of Time, and had a lot of cool ideas, like the iron boots sticking to magnets, and some cool items later on that i don't want to mention in case someone here hasn't beaten the game yet, Horseback battles, and a Water Temple that didn't rely on getting a million keys.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is the only Zelda game I have. It is still one of my all-time favorite video games.

I have actually played the original game, but it was a borrowed copy from someone at a school I used to go to. It, too, was a fun game.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I have actually played the original game
Ya me too, though i've never beaten it. I think i made it to the 5th or 6th dungeon, thats when it starts to really pick up in difficulty. I enjoy Zelda II then the first one, though its still really hard, it seems more possible for me.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
My personal fav of the Zelda series would have to be Ocrina of Time...but my biggest problem was getting all the keys in the stupid forest temple! :angry: It really drove me crazy, till a friend of mine stepped in and beat it for me in like twenety minutes... :blink: needless to say I was pissed, but I got over it and finally beat the game...

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
but my biggest problem was getting all the keys in the stupid forest temple!
I had the same problem, except that i couldn't find them in the Water Temple. Even now when i play the game i always forget where one of the keys are. I don't play Ocarina of Time anymore, instead i play Ocarina of Time: Master Quest, it offers a way bigger challenge for the Zelda players that want a harder game. In fact, I might change my mind and switch my favorite to Master Quest because of the harder dungeons.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Now we're getting somewhere!  B)

My favorite Zelda games would have to be (I can never name a sinle favorite for anything) the original, "A Link to the Past", "Ocarina of Time", and "Twilight Princess".

Why? Well, I love the original because...well, we wouldn't the rest of the series without it. Ocarina of Time, because...its the first Zelda 3D game allowing you maximum freedom and explains how everything in the series came to be, with  the story,itself, bordering on epic in proportions. Twilight Princess, a welcome return to form after a whole line of nothing but disappointments after the "Oracles" dualogy.

Just about everything released on the series from 2000 to 2004 were just plain pathetic, mainly due to overly easy games, featuring less than impressive villains. Its like Nintendo forgot the dynamics of story-telling. Rule #1: In any story, the side of good needs strong opposition to get it going. Vaati and the tragic hero version of Ganon we see in "The Wind Waker" just don't cut it. Now, Ganon in the first five games, and in "Twilight Princess"...now that's evil!
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I've only ever played A Link To The Past. I've played through it about 3 times. I did enjoy it.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I've played it through a couple of times, myself. I had the beatenest time trying to figure out how to get that red boomerang, though. I did eventually figured out. What I never figured out, though, was where all of the red heart pieces were. I had to go to GameFAQs to find out. :unsure:

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Rule #1: In any story, the side of good needs strong opposition to get it going
Saving your sister isn't a good enough reason to fight? Both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess start off the same in the way of trying to save someone that gets kidnapped. I like Wind Wakers story with the mystery of what happened to Hyrule and i am looking forward to the direct sequel of Wind Waker, "The Phantom Hourglass" on the DS. But i do agree on you with the lack of diffuculty. Thats why i enjoy Master Quest so much.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Saving your sister isn't a good enough reason to fight?
I where the hell did you get that crap?! I didn't say anything about Link's motives. I was talking about the sad, sad, sorry state of Ganon and his crew in "The Wind Waker" and complete incompetence of Vaati.

Read this review, it speaks my views of the truly wretched game that is "The Wind Waker" perfectly: http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/review/R51711.html

Besides that, the game was lazily made. Shigeru Miyamoto, the once genius behind all of Nintendo's greatest hits, now a complete dumbass, cut off the gamemakers' time and budget to get it released sooner. Guess what? The ridiculous, repitive, and downright stupid treasure hunt on the ocean to hunt down the Triforce of Courage shards? Those were all supposed to be individual dungeons. Yeah, that's right. They cheated us!

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, the truth of the matter, WR, is that Eiji Aonuma was the director of the Zelda series since Majora's Mask.  I must admit that his games weren't as good as Orcrina of Time, that is until Twilight Princess came.

It definately earned the right to be 2006 Game of the Year.  There's no doubt that it deserved to win what it did. :^.^:

We especially get to see how EVIL Ganon is in Twilight Princess.  There were just a number of things he did that were just SICK!  That's the kind of thing I like to see in a villian, true evil. :^.^:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
:lol: Aounuma may be the director, but Miyamoto still writes the stories of the series, he's the executive producer, and he controls what's done with all the budget. Aounuma just places the camera. No, I put the blame on Miyamoto entirely. The only reason he made "Twilight Princess" was because it was fans that had to remind him just what Zelda is supposed to be. If only if only George Lucas could take a hint as well.

Still, Miyamoto did (finally) redeem what he did to us throughout most of the 2000s with TP.

Oh yeah. I definitely just loved what they did with the villains in TP. Zant was appropriately psychotic! And Ganon was just as much of a megaegomaniac as he ever was!  :lol:  I also loved Link's newest (and quirkiest) sidekick!

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I where the hell did you get that crap?! I didn't say anything about Link's motives. I was talking about the sad, sad, sorry state of Ganon and his crew in "The Wind Waker" and complete incompetence of Vaati.
I'm sorry i misread what you posted. But now that you mention it. Ganon didn't seem to have that evil badass nature in Wind Waker that he has in Twilight Princess or in previous games like Ocarina and Link to the Past. I got really exited when i first saw Ganondorf in TP when hes on his horse with the flames in the backround.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Ick. Ever reread what you've written and had an eye sore because of it? That's me right about now, seeing my quote on your post.

Yep. That's what I meant, alright. Ganon, sadly, seems to be the only one in all of TWW whose remotely interested in undoing the damage done to the world at large, and we're supposed to kill him? Man, I'd be over to the dark side so fast in the TWW setting!

Oh yeah, seeing a classic video gam villain like Ganon look cool on a horse high-lighted by flames gets the blood pumping.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I played the game boy game and was unimpressed.  I liked the orcana of time or whatever it was called.  I haven't played a game on a console for about 7 years now.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I played the game boy game and was unimpressed.
I never really liked the handheld games too much though some aren't too horrible. For me, they're there as a filler to keep me occupied until a better game comes out.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I like a lot of hand-held games! They don't all whomp.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Manny Cav,Aug 15 2007 on  11:46 PM
I like a lot of hand-held games! They don't all whomp.
I said they're not ALL horrible though. The games always seem to have the dullest storylines of the series and i don't think i've liked any of the villains on the handheld.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
That's probably due to having the technology to make a game for handhelds being more limited than console games. Most handheld games (other than ports for previous systems) are usually more simple than the console games. I imagine that there's more to it than handhelds just not being the main mainstream systems.