The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Castlevania series

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Castlevania,a game series inspired and based on Bram Stoker's classic novel "Dracula" the plot of the series is somewhat simple - every one hundred years the Belmonts must save Translyvania from Dracula. In 1986 an 8-bit Simon Belmont was given this burden in the original Castlevania on the Nintendo Entertainment System(NES) using a whip called the Vampire killer and picking up hearts to fill his energy Simon eventully defeated Dracula,but the battle wasn't over.

In 1988 konami released "Castlevania 2 Simon's Quest" on the NES with more non-linear gameplay and a great soundtrack for its time. this time Simon Belmont(who was suffering from a curse from the previous battle) set out to collect Dracula's bodyparts if Simon didn't bring Dracula back from the dead he would die from the curse,having collected his body parts Simon ressurected then defeated the Count and another hundred years of peace followed but gamers waited only two years for the next Castlevania, a series of succesful games followed and a movie was being tossed around hollywood but after the 2007 writer's strike little is known about the film but next near Castlevania will be ressurected with the release of Castlevania:Lords Of Shadow on the Xbox 360 and PS3.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
These games are pretty good, but they're hard as hell, not to mention Castlevania 2. Man, that was pretty bad.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
AVGN did his first video about Castlevania 2, and recently revisited it in part 2 of his shows about Castlevania.  I remember renting the game and playing it a bit way way way back when.  

AVGN talks about Castlevania 3, talking about how hard it was.

I've mainly have played the gba and bits of the ds Castlevania games.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: jedi472,Oct 23 2009 on  12:37 PM
These games are pretty good, but they're hard as hell, not to mention Castlevania 2. Man, that was pretty bad.
Castlevania 2 was actually good and if we didn't have it we wouldn't have CV Symphony Of The Night or Dawn Of Sarrow after all it was because of CV2 that some games in the series were nonlinear, but if I can think of a CV game that really sucked it would have to be Castlevania:The Adventure on the old black&white gameboy.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I mentioned it in one of my posts in the "worst games ever" topic, but yeah CV:The Adventure was the only Castlevania game to basically suck, the rest of the games were hits(even CV2).

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've heard some find the time line confusing, and what is canon and what is not.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Belmont2500,Oct 23 2009 on  07:45 PM
Quote from: jedi472,Oct 23 2009 on  12:37 PM
Castlevania 2 was actually good and if we didn't have it we wouldn't have CV Symphony Of The Night or Dawn Of Sarrow after all it was because of CV2 that some games in the series were nonlinear, but if I can think of a CV game that really sucked it would have to be Castlevania:The Adventure on the old black&white gameboy.
I'll take your word on the gameboy game, but I still think CV2 sucked, at least compared to what it could have been. Nearly all of the clues that helped you along the way were misspelled, poorly translated, and sometimes even downright useless. Sure, the graphics and music were pretty good, but that's no comfort when you can't figure out where the hell you're supposed to go. It's like they made the game so you needed a walkthrough just to play it.

AVGN did another review of Simon's Quest, and he had basically the same complaints I did. http://www.gametrailers.com/video/angry-vi...rewattack/57923

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
yeah but atleast Simon doesn't move like a slug in CV2 because that was one of the biggest problems in CV The Adventure, that and the fact that you would lose a whip upgrade everytime you got hit by an enemy, the fact that there are no sub-weapons ,Chistoper Belmont's crappy speed led to poor jumping ability the only thing that was good about that game was the music but that's common in every game in the series so I would definatly take CV2 over CV:The Adventure.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Sounds more like the guy, Christopher Belmont or whatever his name is, is the one cursed;  Having to move slowly and loosing his whip upgrades so easily.

corpsebride5988

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I'v played a Castlevania game, it was the one with a white haired dude. He had weird clothes on, and one guy I took it he was the evil person. He had tattoo's and leather pants on, he seemed like a nut job. But I loved the cute little fairies =D

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
That would be CV:Curse Of Darkness, an  demo of that game was my first taste of the CV series way back in 2005.