The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Wanna transfer my LBT stuff to computer

Tyrannosaur

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
so basically what i wanna do is take my DVDs of LBT movies and TV episodes that i have, and put them in an editable format on my PC. i currently use DVD Decrypter and Handbrake to do all the decoding.

but from what i can see, these programs don't allow me to output in a format that i could take into Windows Movie Maker (i'm cheap )

reason for Movie Maker is i wanna cut clips and stuff to possibly make a few music videos.

anyone have any suggestions on some better software to use? or another way i could do it? i have scoured the web for something that is simple and fast but found nothing.

also, is there any type of format you guys recommend using? for movie maker, im assuming its gonna be WMV format, which as far as i know, takes up a huge amount of space. also, would there be a faster way to speed up the converting/decoding process? or is it more dependent on your computer's hardware?

to my knowledge, this doesn't violate any board rules, as it is for my personal use only. if it does, i apologize and would ask that an admin delete this topic as to not cause any trouble with anything.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
You can try a free trial of Magic DVD Ripper to rip the movies instead of DVD Decryptor.

But what I usually do is use iSofter DVD Platinum to convert the VOB files into a format that programs like WMM can read.

Tyrannosaur

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
the iSoft program sounds interesting if it can convert straight form VOBs to other formats. does it cost?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
SUPER video converter works.  http://www.erightsoft.net/SUPER.html  You can get your VOB files into pretty much whatever you want.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Magic DVD ripper can also get the VOB files onto your computer.  You can't do much with VOB besides play it, but it's in MUCH better quality than a rip.  Whatever you do, if you're gonna make a music video DO NOT use VOB unless you've got a quad core with 8gb of ram.  Those huge files will freeze the crap out of your video editing software unless you've got virtually limitless resources.  My Intel dual core with 3gb of ram couldn't do it so don't even try it if you have any less than a quad core (or better) and 8gb of ram (or more).

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
I would recomend MagicDVDrippper or DVDShrink. Two great programs that works like a charm.
But, as LBTlover says, it would require quite the space ripping them into .VOB format. Depends how many of the movies you own/want to ripp ofcourse!

DVDShrink has the ability to let you ripp certain parts and view every single content on the DVD. Sure MDR does to, but now you got something's to consider atleast. ;)

If you tend to use the rpped material for WMM movies, I'd recomend VLC media player. Ripping couldn't be easier, and you can save disc space, to the price of lacking quality depending on the format you choose to ripp to. Again, depends on what you're gonna use the material for.
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

Tyrannosaur

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
all good stuff. thanks guys :).

i basically wanna rip every movie and episode in the most efficient and quickest way.

LBTLover; you mean that if i want to keep the best quality, i need to put the VOB files on my computer first and then convert them to a different format?

my computer isnt the most powerful in the world. 2GHZ Intel dual core, 2GB DDR2 5300, 8800GT GPU.

Lillefot; you mean that i can use VLC to rip the files to my computer? i have VLC but havent found any ripping abilities on it. ill have another look.

i have 81GB of hard drive space available to me right now. i imagine that would be enough for 13 VOB movies and 26 episodes xD.

again, thanks guys :)

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Yes, you can ripp using VLC. As I have a Swedish version, I'd recomend you to Google it. Best of luck!  :)
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
LBTLover; you mean that if i want to keep the best quality, i need to put the VOB files on my computer first and then convert them to a different format?

It depends on the software you use and your skill with converting video files.  If you want the best possible quality and are pretty good at converting video files then converting the full quality VOB files would be your best bet.  You can choose the quality in which you want them, whereas just ripping the DVD gets the movie into 700mb any way it can and you have little control with how it does it.

Tyrannosaur

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
i've only done a coiuple conversions of files, and dont know a whole lot about it. i think im gonna use that program that Petrie suggested, as its free and looks like it can convert anything - anything.

ideally i wanna try and get the best quality in the simplest way.

LBTlover you seem to know alot about this stuff, so ill ask a general question :)

im probably looking at 1GB per episode and maybe 2-3GB per movie, and in WMV format. is there any generic settings that can be used to achieve that? like bit rate of the video and that stuff?

sorry for the newbish questions. i know almost nothing about this stuff :)

Tyrannosaur

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
update!

seems ive figured out some stuff to sort this endeavor of mine xD.

i discovered that Nero has a program called NeroVision Express which allows you to import VOB files and splice and trim them.  i can then save the file directly to my HDD as MPEG 1 or 2, or AVI. hopefully with no quality loss

luckily i have Nero 6 and it has the program on it xD.

so that seems to be working good for now. testing it on its export abilities atm.

heres another issue.

i have a couple DVD-RWs with LBT movies on them, and my DVD drive will not recognize the files, and therefore i cannot rip them to my HDD.

the funny thing is that i have PowerDVD on my PC, and it can play the files off these same discs with no problem at all. yet in My Computer, the Drive only reads the disc as a blank CD-RW.

anyone have any ideas on how to remedy that? they are Memorex DVD-RWs. i am running Windows XP too.