The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

PM Problems

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Received notice people are having PM problems.  I was not able to find anything of interest in the iinvision help forums where this is a widespread problem.  I've not had a problem myself, so until it happens there isn't much I can do.  Make sure you have members names typed in correctly and that you have a PM box that can accept new messages (keep it less than 90% full).

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I've read of similar problems on other InvisionFree boards. In fact, on another InvisionFree based board I'm on, my PM system has been completely disabled. It claims my PM folders are full when there isn't a single message in there. There are simply none to delete. I can't receive any PMs, and sending them is pointless. InvisionFree's PM system is just plain buggy. For now, I have no problems here, but I don't know how long this will last.

If it's too much of a problem, we can just use the [hint]email function[/hint] for now.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I have been noticing that my PM box keeps filling up more quickly than it ever has  before.  Only about 10 messages and it's 34% full.  I used to be able to fit a lot more of them in there. :unsure:

It's not a serious problem for me though, cuz I usually keep it under 70% at all times and it isn't too bad. :)

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Aug 14 2007 on  12:15 AM
I have been noticing that my PM box keeps filling up more quickly than it ever has  before.  Only about 10 messages and it's 34% full.  I used to be able to fit a lot more of them in there. :unsure:
This is what happens to me on this other board I'm on. However, in my case, the bug completely filled my entire PM folders to 100% with zero messages in them. I have no PM system over there at all.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
It might be the easiest solution to send emails rather than PMs. I think most people here posted an email address in their profile and that address remains anonymous unless they decide to send a mail themselves. Given that fact I don't see any advantage of a PM over an email; or is there any?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I don't see any advantage of a PM over an email; or is there any?
Only a couple minor ones that I can think of:

1) If the recipient is on the board, a window will pop up on their computer saying they have a new PM.  This is only a benefit if the user's e-mail program or service does not immediately inform of new messages.

2) People do not need to know the e-mail of a member in order to send a PM.  One can simply type the user's name.  Not every member here has an e-mail address in their profile.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: action9000,Aug 14 2007 on  01:55 AM
Only a couple minor ones that I can think of:

1) If the recipient is on the board, a window will pop up on their computer saying they have a new PM.  This is only a benefit if the user's e-mail program or service does not immediately inform of new messages.
A window never pops up to tell me I've got a new PM. I either have to see if the number changed where it says Inbox, or I have to check my e-mail.

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
Maybe you have a Pop-Up Blocker.
It happend to me when I noticed I have a Pop-Up Blocker who always blocks the PM message.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
We can move to email if problems continue.  Like I said, three years, not one problem on my end.