The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Fanart by Mumbling

Mumbling · 528 · 57633

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Don't have a ruler laying around, but I assume the feathery part is 10 to 15 cm.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Wow. I don't think I've ever seen that kind of fanart before. :o

That's really good! Like Sky said, there's an impressive amount of detail to Littlefoot and his eggshell (I like that he's got a little piece of the shell balanced on his head :lol). I imagine it must be hard to paint on a feather, what with the vane being a textured surface, and the barbs separating if they are moved too much (with the tiny size of the pictureóaround an inch squared?óon top of that).

Are you planning to paint more feather paintings? (perhaps more pictures of the gang hatching)? :)

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'll say this now, "Your talent in Art is too good to waste!  You must preserve it!"

Seriously, you are GOOD at this!  I am jealous of you!  I wish I had your talent. :)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I may do more feather paintings as I find more feathers :p

I imagine it must be hard to paint on a feather, what with the vane being a textured surface, and the barbs separating if they are moved too much

The textured surface part is indeed hard, you have to paint along with the lines. I first painted the white layer though, so the barbs would separate less easily.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I made a petrie, and decided to post here before baking it.

Making of

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Fantastic artworks Mumbling, they are all very detailed...especially the one draw on the feather.  It is nice to see a different media used, instead of paint and paper....it always amazes me how well some people can model images through modelling materials.  ^^

I am not sure what they are fully called, but have you ever thought about using air pens?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Air pens? Don't worry about not knowing what they are called, I probably don't either :p

Post an image of what you mean ? :D

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Doi....they are called blo pens...not air pens...sorry, my mistake.  :bang

This link is from amazon.  I think there are different varieties:
Blo pens

We used to use them in art class, fun lesson, we would make stencils of what we wanted.  I think I did a cat...and we would blow through the penand make the picture....it was fun to do...and what we needed was in the set that the school had purchased.  

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Hehe I've never seen that before, so never considered it, no :p

Vek

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Kaelvek
Ahah, nice !

But i think the wings are too low on the body, they should be just below the green thing at the base of the neck.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Very good looking Petrie.  Did he take long to make?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Very good work again Iris :yes
There are a few points of constructive criticism left which I can offer.
Petrie's back is as dark brown as the rear-side of his wings is. If you used the same clay for the rear of his wings as for his back you could kill two Pterodactyls with one stone... (never mind, that idiom is really a brutal one :x). The color would be correct and also there would be no fissures on the rear of him. As for fissures in general, have you ever tried to close them with the tip of a toothpick as I suggested? It would be another case of two Pterodactyls... fed with the same treestar ;) It would close up the fissures and also make the figure less likely to break.
Finally, his eyes look really great and you also took the care to add the white reflection on the black of his eyes. But one more detail that could be added relatively easily would be the thin rim around his eyes.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I don't happen to have a toothpick, but I'll try something. Trying to make these without references, ya know :p Thank you about the back color and the rim around the eyes, I will fix that now.

Thanks Vek! I thought so too, so I'll fix that :)

Edit:

With higher wings and a more correct back & eyes:

Sorry for the reflection.. stupid camera.

2nd edit:

Less gaps ;)

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oh, darn. I hope I'm not too late to add my input. :unsure:

The moment I saw this, I thought, "Whoa! That looks great!" So that's good news for you. :p If you've already baked it, it's still a good clay figure, but if you haven't, I do have some suggestions if you want to make it look even better.

The main thing I would change is those two little trailing flaps on either side of Petrie's tail. He doesn't really have those (There may be scenes in which he looks like he does, but I think they're just the lowermost edges of his wing membranes). If you wanted the figure to be REALLY accurate, you could make his wings wider, extending further down his sides, behind his legs, all the way to the base of his tail. Petrie's wing membranes extend all the way down the border between his brown back color and lighter belly color; in fact, you could say that his wings ARE the border.

Another issue is that we can't really tell how Petrie's head looks from the side in these pictures, but the lower part of his beak looks to be wider and less pointed than the upper. His crest may also be a bit lopsided. Finally, you could make his neck ruff look a bit puffier by adding more clay (At the moment it appears to be flush with his neck and shoulder area).

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Honestly Pangaea, all those suggestions are very good, but hardly reachable if the clay figure is basically done. (unless I'd take it apart and start all over again). However these are very useful tips for a future petrie, which I'll sure take in mind.

those two little trailing flaps on either side of Petrie's tail.

I think those are cute, but I agree with you they may be his wing edges... oh well..

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Sorry. :oops I sort of figured that the wings would be difficult to change, but I didn't know the same was true for the other parts at this point.

By the way, two things I forgot to mention this in my last post: First, thanks for showing us the process again. Not only is it interesting to see, but it helps indicate which parts of the model must be molded into their final designs at which stage. For instance, next time, maybe you could put the ruff around petrie's neck once his head is connected to his body, so that it doesn't get squished down as much.

Second, I didn't know you had little wire armatures inside these figures. :! They're more structurally detailed than I thought!

EDIT: Just noticed your new award banner. Great choice! That was my favorite of the Project banners. :lol

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah, I remember sending this image to malte to make it into a banner *muhahaha* had no idea I'd win it though.

The wires are new. Blame Malte's brilliant ideas :p

I must say that I probably wouldn't have been able to make the neck without these wires.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

A drawing for once. Probably the last in a while unless someone commissions one again. This is for someone who calls himself Coaley, which is also one of the characters I had to draw. The characters are part of a fanfiction which has not yet been published.

I'm not very good with sharpteeth :oops

Coaley might ask me to change some colours, I have not yet talked to him about this.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
And of course I should not forget about Malte's Birthday present:

I'll write more about the sculpture in my blog.

Vek

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Kaelvek
Longue vie ‡ DinolÈon Bonaparte, vainqueur de la bataille de Dinosterlitz !