The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Flathead770's Fanart

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
Once again I can only second what people have already said. This is a completely another side of the yellowbellies that hasn't been seen before, and while it's quite ironic that a yellowbelly would be this fierce and determined to accomplish whatever task comes, it's not an impossible concept at all. I really have to disagree about your comments with the story part, as it really made me feel I had just stepped inside a captivating story of no return from, you definitely have the potential to create fantastic stories if you put your mind into it. The picture itself is nothing but the sort of fantastic, you have most certainly improved in your drawings lately, and while the drawing can be interpreted as a humorous one, the pose of the character creates that special kind of an atmosphere around the whole thing. And yeah... I wouldn't want to mess with Brootie either, that's a sure way to the Great Beyond right there!

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thanks everyone! Though I have to admit that I did do some post processing to improve the drawing. Upping the contrast to give it a more gritty look to it as well as using a tool to help darken the shaded areas more. Whether that's considered cheating in a way I'll leave up to you (though it is the benefit of having a DSLR that can shoot RAW images)

Bahaha! I love it! The Lone Dinosaur - Yellow Belly Edition
Haha I suppose you could look at it like that. Wasn't exactly my intention to go for the Lone Dinosaur vibes, mainly just coming up with a reason why a Yellow Belly would act the way he does. I guess now that you mention it, his story is a sort of "pack of sharpteeth came and gobbled up his nest" sorta thing haha :PCera

I really have to disagree about your comments with the story part, as it really made me feel I had just stepped inside a captivating story of no return from, you definitely have the potential to create fantastic stories if you put your mind into it.
I suppose I theoretically have the ability to write a story, it's just that it takes way too long for me to actually do it. Like I feel like I if I was to participate in the fanfiction prompt I'd need to know the prompt a year in advance to finish in time :p I feel like that time could be put to use on getting more/better drawings done (not to mention the fanfiction section is already way more saturated then the fanart one). Glad you liked it though!

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Really good job with this drawing, Flathead! I agree with the others that the coloring looks great and that the idea behind this picture really works. Likewise, the expression is very well done as well and the overall quality of this drawing is clearly one of your best. Once again, there could have been a background but it wasn't vital in a drawing like this. As for you and fanfics, while I agree that it would nice to see stories from you, you do have a point with art being rare on GoF and your drawings are the best here at this point. So do what you want but either way, I'm certain we'll see good stuff from you in the future as well. :^^spike

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
While it may have taken you VERY long to write this, it's written well as far as I can tell :DD

Oh wait, I almost forgot this is actually about fanart here, the writing kinda surprised me here :D Great art as usual from you and a yellowbelly... you really went there :P Nice job :D
Inactive, probably forever.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Once again, there could have been a background but it wasn't vital in a drawing like this. As for you and fanfics, while I agree that it would nice to see stories from you, you do have a point with art being rare on GoF and your drawings are the best here at this point. So do what you want but either way, I'm certain we'll see good stuff from you in the future as well.
Thanks! Yeah a background would be nice but I had 2 reasons not to include it for this one. First is because coming up with and writing the story took extra time, and the other being the fact that this scene takes place during a sunset I feel like the sky's colour would make it harder for Brootie to stand out as well. At least that's what I think.

While it may have taken you VERY long to write this, it's written well as far as I can tell :DD

Oh wait, I almost forgot this is actually about fanart here, the writing kinda surprised me here :D Great art as usual from you and a yellowbelly... you really went there :P Nice job
It's a rare treat to have you stop by nowadays. Thank you! I know you bugged me before about writing so I was hoping you would see the surprise eventually :p
As for choosing a Yellow Belly, I mentioned the saturated fanfic section. Gotta move towards the untapped market :lol

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Sorry for the delay everyone, but I managed to get my prompt finished! I decided to go more based on the descriptive prompt: The world is not always a happy place. Not every adventure goes according to plan, not every person you meet has your best intentions in mind. Draw a scene which incorporates the theme of "Hurt" and/or "Fear". Maybe not necessarily hurt or fear for this but I couldn't get the idea out of my mind so I just went with it. You guys can be the judge if it counts or not :p

I originally wanted to draw something Pterano related for fear as I kinda had an idea for that but couldn't decide on how to draw it so with him in mind I decided on drawing a scene with him luring part of the herd. I was stuck on what I was going to do for the background for a few weeks and almost thought to just not include any of it to finish it quicker but thankfully it all started to fall into place this past Monday. I also felt like spending more time with the shading but I'm happy with the current results so I figured I'd just post it as is. Let me know what you guys think!

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
Wow, the scale of this piece seems to make it really stand out as a grand set piece. So many dinosaurs and a distinct background really add to it.

The shading on the contours of the bluff, the jagged rock Pterano is standing on, and the gray clouds around him give the entire areas that pop-up effect that causes the entire top-left portion of the image to stand out compared to the comparatively blander rock face on the right side. The glum faces of the dinosaurs strutting in a straight line towards a valley they might never find is heavily contrasted with the happier faces of those are wavering over to Pterano's side, best exemplified by the one swimmer who's tilting her head at Pterano contemplatively, her expression differing from the other cookie-cutter ones. All of these minor points really sells the effect of Pterano capitalizing on the herd's despondent fear of lumbering in the Mysterious Beyond as easy pickings to make a power grab of his own... yeah, I count it. :P

Of course, the faces and everything of the many dinosaurs are great, though Pterano is a little hard to make out if he wasn't in that iconic "destiny" pose. It is definitely a great artwork from you overall, Flathead... even if it does not end well for those who choose to deviate from the norm. :(
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I guess if you imagine a scene or two after this the followers would be both hurt and in fear. This is some great work, Flathead! I love the detail you put in each and every dinosaur. Is that a sand slide or the like between the two mountains/rock walls?

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
This picture most certainly stands out in so many ways even without coloring it manages to shed that special feeling of utter desperation with some of the herd turning to Pterano for help, while others watch from the sidelines with peeved expressions on their face. The venue where the eventual separation of the herd unfolds is quite delicately added into the drawing, and the detail speaks volumes of the artist’s abilities.

Paying heed to the expressions on some of the herd members, it is very clear that this recent separation has hurt them more than they let on. The emotions in this one include resentment, forlornness and indifference for the current developments. I have to say, this was probably one of the focal points in the drawing, as when the focus shifts to the bystanders, we get a clear view of their feelings at that moment, which was displayed phenomenally.

If there is one nitpick I can find, it’s that at first glance I couldn’t spot Pterano in the drawing, and I had to zoom in a little in order to spot him. This isn’t a big deal overall, but still something that caught my eye and attention. I really like the pose Pterano is using in his speech to his newfound followers expressing his desire for greatness he desperately convinces himself he already has to lead a herd. Like we all know, their journey would eventually end in departure of everyone except for Pterano, which only helps make this picture even more lamentable.

A fantastic piece from you this time, Flathead. I really liked this one! :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 05:14:20 AM by Anagnos »

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Dang, I didn't expect something like this haha, Nice one!

The shading looks superb by the way, really love it! :)

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thanks everyone! I'm glad I finally finished that one.

OwlsCantRead
I'm glad you pointed out the increased shading towards the top left as that was intentional as I wanted the viewer to naturally draw their eyes toward that direction. As you say, the rock on the far right has no shading on it with the frequency of shading increasing towards the right. Now I must admit this also did help with saving time figuring out something to do with the right side. I also tried creating a type of leading line with the swimmer looking towards Pterano and the other dinosaur walking towards him. The darker clouds also hints towards their eventual fate.

Hah destiny pose, a fitting name. Yeah he did turn out to be quite small. I had him a bit larger in the initial sketch but as I started finalizing the other dinosaurs I realized that he'd be way too big so I shrunk him down.

Mumbling
Yeah some type of rock slide of gravel or something. Just kinda popped in my head when sketching out the background, though with the more simplified look it was hard to try and look convincing with just a bit of shading. I wanted to have something to try and keep the drawing from being too imbalanced or bland but I kinda feel that I maybe should have left it out.

Anagnos
Yeah it was a lot of fun to draw this one. When I started with the idea I wanted to try and maximize the dramatic irony and felt like having a moment where the dinosaurs are in the moment of breaking off from the main herd, with the dinosaur making the contemplating look towards Pterano being the swimmer that is focused more on in the movies. In my head canon its that swimmer who convinces the two behind it to join up with Pterano.

It is unfortunate that Pterano ended up being that small. Thankfully his poses are quite expressive so I don't have to worry as much with having a less detailed face.

Sneak/Ducky
Thanks! :DD

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Now this looks rather good. The idea is quite good and the background looks rather awesome here. The perspective on the hills makes the drawing look more atmospheric and the dinosaurs' expressions in the front are very fitting for the scene. While I really like those as well, I'm a bit perplexed by the focus here as making Pterano the center of this picture would have made more sense but it's nice as it is. Good job as always! :smile

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well there's kinda two reasons he is where he is. First, I wanted to have a situation in where the dinosaurs are walking passed Pterano, stopping, then going back towards him and I feel like it would limit the space for me to do that if he's in the center. Second, I've kinda been trying to use a compositional guideline used in photography called the rule of thirds. It mainly deals with 2 aspects. One is that the horizon is on either the bottom or top third of the scene whether you are focusing on the foreground or sky. The other is that the 4 intersection points created by splitting the image into 9 equal pieces can be the ideal spot for the subject of the image. (An example below that's not mine)

Of course if you look at my drawing I don't really match up to where it's supposed to be. Not that I was measuring it out or anything, just drawing as I go. Thanks for the feedback though!

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Now that the showcases are over for the year I'm going to post the artwork I did for them here for archival purposes.

Littlefoot:

Flathead: :p

Cera:

Ducky:

Guido:

Petrie:

Spike:

Shorty (redone from older prompt):

Chomper: this

Ruby:

Ali:

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I recognize that Ruby one :lol

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Haha yeah, I didn't have time to draw a new Ruby one and had that one laying around still so I decided to use it. Did you ever find your Ruby drawing?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I probably still have it... somewhere :P

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oof, I'm way too late for this. Here's my entry for the final prompt, opting to go for the alternative option to draw a scene from a submitted fanfiction prompt. In this case I'm using Owls' Five Stages of Grief, so a big shout out to him for creating this story and letting me use it.

Taken from the 2nd stage of grief: anger. Now the original suggestion was to use Ducky's argument with Mr. Thicknose as it was to more developed and focused part of this stage, but upon reading it I felt like Ducky's conversation with her mother was far more visually descriptive. More specifically, it comes from these couple lines:

Ducky felt her mother's arm on her shoulders, and soon heard her gentle words as well. "Now, now, Ducky. I'm sure that he didn't make this decision lightly. Spike knows that you must be broken-hearted—"

"He does?" Ducky cut in as she folded her arms, breaking out of her mother's massage and turning around to glare at her in a rare show of defiance.

Now as for the drawing itself, since it was already late by quite a bit I had to speed it up and simplify the background with just blue sky. Thankfully Ducky's mom takes up most of the page so it covers it up a good amount. Unfortunately Ducky's mom is a bit of a mess. I'm sure she's all disproportionate and the angle of her arm and hand was very hard to try and draw. It mostly stems from a mix of her pose and how close she is/how much room she takes up on the page. I also started out with trying to get some green in her colour instead of going for the more brown look and it really didn't turn out in my opinion.

Another potential issue is that this scene doesn't really differentiate much visually from the 8th movie, so it might not really stand out as coming from a fanfic.

Anyways, let me know what you guys think of it.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Nice! I'd say you capture the specific scene really well. You can see the surprise and hurt in Mama Swimmer's eyes really well, and Ducky's expression of suspicion works well with the scene too. I like that you can see their footprints in the snow, though I'm missing the footprints of how they got there ;) But that's nitpicking! The colors are nice as well, I think green works well for her mother.