The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

A remake could actually happen.

Longneck3050

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Quote from: Hypnobrai,Oct 14 2017 on  10:44 AM
Quote from: Longneck3050,Oct 14 2017 on  09:20 AM
I wonder if a remake would include all the deleted scenes, since 10-15 minutes of scenes were cut from the first movie. I wonder if all of it was found.
Pretty sure it hasn’t been found. I really hope something will turn up though.
Me too

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
Crucify me for saying this, but after doing a lot more thinking, I'd actually be open to a remake, no matter how terrible it may be. Why, you ask? Well, a remake could help introduce kids to the original movie, which in turn would expose them to its awesomeness and artistic value.

I know, it sounds totally outlandish, but I base my reasoning off the fact that I've been researching and learning a lot of new things about my childhood favorites ever since I entered college. Someone from the newest generation is bound to research the origins of the hypothetical remake out of curiosity and share it with others.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dr. Rex,Oct 15 2017 on  01:17 AM
Crucify me for saying this, but after doing a lot more thinking, I'd actually be open to a remake, no matter how terrible it may be. Why, you ask? Well, a remake could help introduce kids to the original movie, which in turn would expose them to its awesomeness and artistic value.

I know, it sounds totally outlandish, but I base my reasoning off the fact that I've been researching and learning a lot of new things about my childhood favorites ever since I entered college. Someone from the newest generation is bound to research the origins of the hypothetical remake out of curiosity and share it with others.
Oh, I think it could be done if in the right hands(if the 2016 remake of Disney's Jungle Book proved anything.)

I just think it ending up in the right hands is a bit unlikely. To be honest and I know I will get flak for this, I think a full continuity reboot would be better if it comes to redoing it from the ground up. Mainly because I think a more direct remake would, even if it were good, remain the shadow of the original film.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Belmont2500,Nov 4 2017 on  01:47 PM
Quote from: Dr. Rex,Oct 15 2017 on  01:17 AM

Oh, I think it could be done if in the right hands(if the 2016 remake of Disney's Jungle Book proved anything.)

I just think it ending up in the right hands is a bit unlikely. To be honest and I know I will get flak for this, I think a full continuity reboot would be better if it comes to redoing it from the ground up. Mainly because I think a more direct remake would, even if it were good, remain the shadow of the original film.
That's true too. If LBT is ever going to come back to theaters, it needs to be completely original, even if it's retelling the same story. It'd be pretty dull, or perhaps worse, if it just straight-up remakes the story with, God forbid, mainstream stuff implemented.

God knows I don't need rapping dinosaurs.

Snowwolf

• Ruby
    • View Profile
So if this remake could happen i would say  little foots  mother would not  die and it could be a perfect begining and a good ending by little foot sees his father :D

Snow wolf

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Snowwolf on Nov 17 2017, 08:34:42 PM
So if this remake could happen i would say  little foots  mother would not  die and it could be a perfect begining and a good ending by little foot sees his father :D

Snow wolf
I would have to disagree. Having Littlefoot's mother survive would greatly impact what kind of person Littlefoot would ultimately become. I think this was discussed before. A lot of things would change, and one worth noting is the fact that, had his mother survive and Littlefoot stayed with her, then that means he'd never become friends with Cera and he'd never meet Ducky or Petrie. The consequences of this would be that Cera, Ducky, and Petrie might have remained permanently lost and Spike wouldn't have been found, perhaps even becoming stillborn (as it was Ducky's help that got him to hatch in the first place).

Also another effect is that Littlefoot might never have learned to set aside any prejudiced feelings early; remember, even though his mother saved Cera as well, she was been shown to have some prejudices herself. She is not aggressive about them, but she did actively encourage Littlefoot to look forward to the many "longneck" friends he was going to meet and play with in the valley, and she told him that all dinosaur kinds just stick together with their own. If Littlefoot remained with her, he would have carried this prejudice with him and likely would have been a little similar to Ali as she initially was in the 4th movie. Maybe not terrified, but he would be wary and uncomfortable with other species.

Pretty much, the whole dynamic of the series would change and it would be way different from the LBT we know.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The death of his mother shaped Littlefoot into what and who he is today. The death scene is like... THE key scene of the whole first movie  (maybe aside from killing Sharptooth and finding the valley) so removing it would not be a smart move
Inactive, probably forever.

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Snowwolf on Nov 17 2017, 08:34:42 PM

Snow wolf

That's a little TOO original for anyone's tastes...

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
At this point, with all these remakes and reboots that are the newest Hollywood rage, I'm willing to bet $100 that they'll eventually dig up LBT and decide to remake/reboot it. I mean, there will come a time when the studios have dug their way to the bottom of the barrel.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
Some good points have been raised. Although I'm personally more open to the idea of a remake than most of the people here are. I'm not desperate for it or anything, but I think it would be interesting to see. While I do love the original film, it is rather short, and in a sense it did leave me wanting more. With a remake, I'd want them to stick fairly close to the original storyline, and to animate it in a similar style. Aside from that, I'd want a longer adventure, which I think would be a great opportunity to expand on parts of the story. Especially if they could incorporate aspects of the removed scenes.

I mean, I think what I really want, and I know I'm not alone here, is to see the uncut version of the original film. But, if that never happens, then a remake seems like it could be the next best thing.

Back to topic:

For me, the requirements for accepting an LBT remake are:
-No pop songs.
-no modern slang.
-Not softening the film's tone.
-Decent child actors as the kids.
-No celebrity voices.
-Fully orchestrated soundtrack. No modern stuff.
-Don Bluth supervising it.
Having Bluth's involvement seems unlikely somehow (as awesome as that would be). But otherwise, I agree with every point.

That said, even I'm skeptical that a remake would be as good as the original film. In particular, having the soundtrack be as memorable as James Horner's original score seems next to impossible. Regardless, if a remake does ever happen, I would absolutely go check it out.

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
I don't really feel that there should be a remake to be done. Like few people here have said it, when it comes to remakes I'm not a fan of them either. I think they are just ways to make more money, when you just can't come up with new ideas. If the day comes that I become a father, I will definitely show my kids the movies that I enjoyed as a kid myself, the original being one of them. And when it comes to keeping the storyline exactly the same, I agree with that. There's really no need to change how the plot goes.

Pikkutassu

• Spike
    • View Profile
I don't really feel that there should be a remake to be done. Like few people here have said it, when it comes to remakes I'm not a fan of them either. I think they are just ways to make more money, when you just can't come up with new ideas. If the day comes that I become a father, I will definitely show my kids the movies that I enjoyed as a kid myself, the original being one of them. And when it comes to keeping the storyline exactly the same, I agree with that. There's really no need to change how the plot goes.
Well the newest trailer of the lion king remake seems well made. I wouldn't mind a new Land Before Time with the same treatment, along with a directors cut with all the deleted scenes included.

Spoiler: ShowHide
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TavVZMewpY[/youtube]

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
^I agree. Even if a remake wasn't as good as the original, with the right touch I still think it would be worthwhile.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 03:25:11 PM by StardustSoldier »

Vojeds

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
I'm not sure about this, remakes are just to make more because people have run out of ideas I mean I don't wanna see the land before time original movie in CGI. Because I know they won't be able to capture what made the original so special x(cera

Anagnos

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Keep it clean! Respect public property!
    • View Profile
Well the newest trailer of the lion king remake seems well made. I wouldn't mind a new Land Before Time with the same treatment, along with a directors cut with all the deleted scenes included.

Spoiler: ShowHide
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TavVZMewpY[/youtube]

Well, I do admit that the trailer was good in my opinion, but I still have my doubts that the film itself will be good.

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've been thinking about it lately. More and more, there is a part of me that would in fact welcome a remake. Why is that? Because I want them to return to the darker tone of the first film, and at this point a remake seems like it's the best chance of that happening.

In fact, I'd like to see them do darker remakes of all the films. Admittedly that seems like a pipe dream, but I'd welcome it all the same. Not to trash the LBT sequels, as I have enjoyed most of them so far... yet, I can't help but long for the tone of the original film.

Mouse-a-saur

• A Winchesterian Paradox
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile
I'm honestly afraid of them making it look anything like the new Lion King movie. It's far too emotionless when it comes to the expressions of the characters. They're all scary looking and dead-eyed. :sducky

~*And I'm something called a Jared Padalecki*~

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
In my opinion, the new remake of The Lion King movie seems unnecessary. It feels like a cash grab to me, along with all of the other "live action" remakes they're doing of beloved classics. Why do it? If it's not broken, don't fix it. Don't you wish that companies would do remakes of movies that aren't as good as they should be or completely flop because of one reason or another? It also kind of annoys me how every single thing that's animated has to be converted into a real life or realistic equivalent for some reason. You know, it's animated for a reason. It may look weird or not even make sense with the limitations of what can be represented in the real world.

Well, this is my 2 cents on the topic. :)

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I can't deny the cash grab argument. But, say, if they did do a remake of LBT, would it be any less of a cash grab than all the LBT sequels have been? Again, this isn't me hating on the sequels. But I don't feel that a remake would really be much different in that regard.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 12:11:28 AM by StardustSoldier »

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
^Okay, that we can both agree upon. I was talking more about remakes in general for my original post, but yeah you're right for that regard.

It's also kind of weird that lots of us still want more LBT movies despite knowing what will come out of it. But yeah, I want my dinosaurs though! Can't get enough of it tbh. :p

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...