The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Maybe Austin can help me here

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I've already talked to Tim about this and he can't help me.

I have an external Creative soundcard for all my audio.  If I just do computer things (listen to music, watch a movie) there's not one issue with the card.  I have issues with it using internet browsers for the internet.  I get a lot of bad static pops on any page with flash animation and some video sites (except youtube oddly enough).  Its really bad when using IE 6 (won't upgrade) and Firefox 2.0 or 3.0.  The problem is not as bad using Opera 9.27

Do you have an idea of what might be the issue?  Is it a different rendering engine?  Firefox is using Gecko, and I've forgotten what Opera is using, but its not the same platform.  I do have a Linksys usb wireless adaptor for my laptop and I can't go wired being nowhere near the modem.  My internal wifi card is even worse so I keep that disabled.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
External radio interference can be a real issue.  Anything from cellular phones, home phones, microwaves, or any sort of wireless signal can be causing a static sound in the speakers/headphones.

Seeing as it works while watching videos or doing other offline activities, I would guess it has to be related to web browsing.  What frequency do the things around you operate on?  Do you have a 5.8ghz wireless phone?  Those have been known to cause really bad static issues with speakers.  Try using a portable web browser to see if that helps.  Try portable safari.  You can download it from my server:

http://67.171.50.184:8081/Restricted%20Upl...lder/Safari.exe

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Portable Firefox gave me the same problem, 2.0 or 3.0 once again.  Portable Opera same as the regular program.  Portable programs don't seem to solve the problem.  The wireless Linksys adaptor is a 2.4 Ghz Wireless G system.  I can't really do much about that.

*downloading Safari since that probably uses a third rendering engine* :p

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
I had an old version of Opera USB and it works well. :)  I'll just hold onto 9.27 for a better 9.5x version to come out.

I don't get why this portable version doesn't have the pops and static.  :huh:

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Honestly, ya got me.  I have no clue.  I guess it could be a virus or something routing your default web browser to a port on your computer that causes radio interference or something.  I really don't know.  Your guess is as good as mine.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Thanks anyway.  The portable version seems to work better so I'll stick with that.  Could be just Creative's stuff too.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
The portable version seems to work better so I'll stick with that.
At least it's better than nothing. B)

Ahh, the joys of technology. :p :lol

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Or technology that fights with one another for the same real estate. :rolleyes: