The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Minecraft

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
I've heard a lot of craze about this game. Just one thing that I don't get: what's so fun about it? How could something so simple possibly be any fun at all? I've tried playing it once, but I fail to have that "fun" feeling that everybody has been having for the past few months playing the game. :confused

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Different strokes, I'd guess. I'm still trying to figure out what's so scary about Herobrine.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Minecraft is, without a doubt, one of the funnest games I've ever played. Whenever we're bored, me and my friends will join our private server and just build stuff randomly. You can build anything essentially. It's like having an infinite supply of virtual legos. We have built all kinds of thing like underground tunnels, huge towers, and even 2 MASSIVE waterslides (first one didn't work out so well :p). And after you play the same map over and over for some time, you start forgetting about things you built a long time ago, and you can go explore your old creations. Really the game leaves it up to your imagination to have fun, which is what I love so much about the game.

Oh, I forgot to mention the castle I just recently built made out of gold and diamond with the big letters "Yoshi" plastered on the front :p

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I find it a most boring game too, while my brothers keep on playing it constantly. So yeah, don't ask me :p

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Here's some pics of the beginning of a roller coaster me and my friend just built today, way up in the mountains :p

The name of the ride is...Tor.....I don't know :lol:

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
That's awesome Littlefoot Fan!

I don't play Minecraft much anymore, but a couple months back I was playing it a whole lot. It's so much fun because it has emergent gameplay. Theres a world of blocks for you to do what you want with, but it's not exactly a sandbox game. There are different baddies that can kill you. You have to go out and search for different resources (wood, stone, coal, iron, gold, diamonds, ect) to make tools and other things to help you survive. It's really quite fun when you're not just playing the game like it's a box of lego's.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I've never played it, but here's what I know from what I've been told about it.

It's simplicity at it's most effective area.  Basically, instead of teaching you a million things, it only teaches you one thing and sees what you can do with it.

The game is only limited to what you can build from your imagination.  If you're not having fun, there are two obvious reasons behind it. (At least from what I've researched.) Either, you don't like building stuff or you have a very limited imagination.  Mind you though, that is what I'm getting from most people that hate it.  I'm not saying it's THAT reason why you hate it, it's just the reason I found from what I researched to be the one among those who hate it.

Still, I might want to give this game a chance myself.  My creative side may very well find it to be quite enjoyable.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Can anyone answer the Herobrine thing?
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It was some rumor some random player started months ago. The rumor was basically that the dead brother of Notch (The creator of the game) was haunting the game. Many members played along with the joke, telling fake stories about really weird things happening in their game, and then eventually seeing a mob that looked like the player, but with bright white eyes. This mob people called Herobrine, and it's supposed to be the ghost of notch's dead brother.

Basically it was a joke that was played on and on WAY to long.
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
That's it? I figured there had to be something truly frightening about it for it to become as popular as it did. Wow, I think I'll stick with Slender Man.

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
If you want to get a feel for the game, I suggest you watch a let's play or two.

X's Adventures
X's Adventures is a good one that really shows off how interesting and open-ended the game can get.

---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Tails_155

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://xerofocusstudios.com/forums/portal.php
Well... for me anyway, Minecraft is addicting because it's so free... but also because... you collect stuff... and I collect stuff constantly (in Morrowind, for example, I don't follow the plot at all, I basically just started inventorying the world)

Also the artistic options are fantastic, you can make anything you want, like the crazy house I made or any other number of things, it's just a well made sandbox game... with a boxy-headed guy for the lead role... and creepers.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, I decided to give it a try. Eh, it's alright. So far I have a wall build around a narrow cave for cover and I'm working on a house with a first and second story and a basement.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
oh man, a bunch of us should get together and play on a server :lol: would be awesome  :p

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
One of us could start a server. I actually ran a minecraft server for about a month awhile back, but a lot of people complained that it was laggy.
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I'd love to start us up a server, but my compy won't let me.

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'll try running a test server to see how this works out. I'll have mobs turned off (All the animals and enemies). They do make the game a lot more interesting IMO, but they really lag a server, unless it's a good computer.

Ip is: vonboy.no-ip.org (or try 99.21.136.124 if that doesn't work.)

tell me if it works...
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I'll get there sometime, von, but right now I'm still learning to master the game. I'm using Minecraft Classic to practice up on construction.

vonboy

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Is anyone going to try to join? I've had it up for over a week, and it looks like no one's got on yet. <_<
---------------------

---------------------
(Runner-Up)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Sorry, I got busy.