The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

First Pokemon, then Ponies, now Dinosaurs

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ah, thanks for answering these questions :p I'll have to try your technique next time I draw something, yep, yep, yep.
Inactive, probably forever.

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Ducky123: It just might be better to find your own technique - or just stick to the one you already have and keep improving it. ;)

Update time!

[align=center]It is very special

Source
(for bigger size etc.)[/align]

When I watched the treestar scene over and over again for reference, I noticed how great it really is.
Littlefoot is just so happy...about a single leaf. It just shows perfectly how tough it must have been and how Littlefoot is still able to be happy and cherish some things, even when they are as small as this treestar.

Oh and, by the way: I'm really no expert here, but according to my calculations at how big the gang would be in reality, this treestar is about 2 or 3 meters large. Talking about small...xD

I have some more poses or especially expressions planned already to help myself getting the character concepts in my head.

Oh and btw: Who else was exited when you found star-shaped leaves when you were a kid because of this movie? :D
(But I was also a bit disappointed because they never were this perfect).

Hope you like it.  :)
RockingScorpion

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Awesome! :lol I totally love that scene. It's animated with so much love. And here it's drawn with just as much love :yes

You know, you are sort of inspiring me... or at least motivating me to sit down and keep trying :angel

Keep up the GREAT work! :exactly

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Thank you, both of you. :)

You know, you are sort of inspiring me... or at least motivating me to sit down and keep trying

I am what? ^^

Hm, to explain this a little better...
Since I started drawing the LBT Characters I somehow started to get more attention than I ever expexted.
And..any of you ever watched One Piece? You might then know how Chopper reacts when he gets compliments. It's kind of the same for me.

I'm just not used to it. xD
I mean, I'm just drawing stuff for my personal fun and people like it enough to even call themselves fans, I mean...
It's just me. Some random guy messing around with pencils. xD

Compared to some other fan artists it isn't much, I know. But I still think it's cool and I'm kind of honored.^^

And I just wanted to write that down even I'm not soo good at expecting compliments.^^

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
[align=center]It Is Very Special - Color Style Test

Source

Well, jep, this is basically my latest drawing, but colored without losing the charm of a traditional sketch.

I learned how to do that in Photoshop Lecture today and now I can't decide if I should do this for every drawing or not or if I should only upload these in the future and keep the original sketch for me. Hm...

Let me know what you think, if you want to. :)

Oh and btw...
When I deactivated some layers I noticed something...
Click!

...is it just me or is this looking like the backside of a handpainted animation cel? :D
I have 4 Land Before Time cels here and when you look at the side where you can't see the outlines, it kind of looks like that.
The method I used is somewhat similar, if I think about it.

Hope you like it.
RockingScorpion.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Saw this on Deviant Art just a few minutes ago :lol:

Well, looks great, well done! :yes

So, if I got that right, you coloured the picture using photoshop and just added it to the pencil n' paper drawing - like another layer? Well, this does sound like a good idea and it certainly looks really good. Some diversity is always a good thing :yes

I can't see anything your linked picture has in common with an animation cell though I'm no expert at all on this subject :p

I wonder what surprise will await us next :smile Keep up the awesome work!

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Thanks. :)

And no, it's not that simple, you have to...

Oh wait. The magician never explains his tricks. :D
Just kidding. What I did was removing everything from the drawing that wasn't outlines, shading or paper structure. What remains looks like this:

Now you can start adding colors. Since the shading is already done, you just have to paint in the spots where color is required.

I automatized the process to get to these outlines seen above. If I had to do that every single time I probably wouldn't even think about doing it more often. xD
Now that it's automatic, all I have to do is a single click.

Oh and...this is the backside of one of the cels I have.

I wonder what surprise will await us next :smile  Keep up the awesome work!

I'll try. :D

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ah okay, makes sense now that I know how the bg of a cell painting looks like :smile

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Thanks, Dalek. :)

The feedback I got for the colored version is somewhat positive, so I just went crazy for a few hours today. I just finished a few minutes ago here. xD

So have a small artwork wave coming at you. :D
The purpose of these is to learn more about how exactly this technique works and what it's doing. The first one was kind of "thrown together" just before I had to write a test, to take away my nervousness a bit. xD
I still was very careful with it, but overlooked some parts. Now I didn't overlook them anymore. It's actually a surprise that it worked out with the first one, but the biggest problem is that all of those get too dark and you have to brighten up the colors...

Eh, enough talking. Onward to pictures! :smile

[align=center]Ducky Portrait - Color Style Test

Source

[align=center]I'm Coming! - Color Style Test

Source

Okay, here I have to say one more thing: Both color schemes you see here are used in movies. The first one is from the first movie when Ducky is in the Great Valley. The other one is from one of the sequels. The difference is huge, and I think for future drawings I'll go for something in between these two.

[align=center]It Takes All Sorts - Color Style Test

Source

Soo..that's it. Hope you still like it, even if it's somewhat repetitive. That's why I won't do any more of these using the drawings I already showed here. Except when one of you wants to see a certain one like this. To make it easier to look at them, my deviantart is linked in my signature. ;)
Upcoming drawings will get a colored version though.

Oh, and this is probably the end for things like that. Mostly at least. To create digital art from scratch is somewhat time consuming. To color a pencil sketch digitally takes some time too, but in comparison it's really fast and simple.
But if there is something I really want as a 100% digital version, I might do it. :)

Soo, that's really it for now. Once again, hope you like it.
RockingScorpion. :)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
They all look really great :yes

I think the green colour of the first pic is somewhat dark indeed. I, personally, prefer bright colours anyway :p

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Those look amazing!  :wow

I am especially impressed with the "It takes all sorts" picture.  The coloring on the last two drawings looks flawless to me.  :yes

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
Again I really like this with colour. Though I can't help but notice that the ring around Cera's eye doesn't seem to be coloured...

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Thanks to all of you. :D

Ducky123: The colors are taken directly from the first movie. I could make them brighter a bit, but well..details. That's why I practiced a bit.^^
I also was surprised how dull the colors actually were. xD

rhombus: The first one doesn't? If you want, I'd like to know what mistakes you see in there. :)

Dalekdino: Fixed. ;)
I did notice this before though, but I think it kind of looks weird. Like her eyes are really small or something, compared to Ali.
Oh well, it's accurate now. :D

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^  Please don't misunderstand, there isn't anything wrong with the first one from what I can see.  It is simply that the darkness of the colors in that makes the picture look kind of grim and foreboding in comparison to the others.  However, as you have said in your response to Ducky, that is the coloration from the first film and it matches the darker mood of that film quite well.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Amazing!  It's not perfect, but it's close.  In regards to Cera....something's not quite right with her eyes.  Maybe they're too small?  They seem a bit out of proportion or something.  Of course I'm no art expert and this is about 10000000x better than anything I could draw.  Keep practicing and you can make some good money at this doing commissions.

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
They are..too big? I just checked myself but I really didn't expected that. xD
Here's
Here's my reference if you want to see that yourself. You really seem to have an eye for details. ;)
It's just so typical that cartoon characters have big eyes, I would've never guessed that I made them too big.^^

But well, that's why I still practice around with references. :D

About commissions and money: Maybe I could, but I don't think I ever will. Someone even asked me about my price after I made a small lottery with some prints of my stuff during a MLP fan meetup. I said I always listen to ideas, but don't expect anything, because this is the one thing I'd like to keep as a hobby. ;)

RockingScorpion

• Spike
    • View Profile
Okay, Okay...
Someone (me) is going to hell if he won't do anything good tomorrow. xD
I already warned one of the members here so at least he is prepared..maybe.

[align=center]Somewhere in the Mysterious Beyond..

...radioactivity is a thing.

Source

No, I haven't lost a bet or anything. I just did this with MLP already and kind of felt like doing it with Land Before Time, too.

This is what happens if you draw anything in Paint, using your left hand and your laptop trackpad, then vectorize the outcome.
Pretty amazing, huh? :D
Time needed for the Paint Version: About 10 minutes. xD
This is the Paint Version: http://fav.me/d7julc9

And believe it or not, this was a request. Kind of. I aked my girlfriend what I had in mind and let her choose the character.

And yes, everyone who faves this gets a Llama. Let's see if something like that can get popular. :D

(Man, I felt bad when I submitted this. Sorry, Littlefoot. xD)

Buuut something not so hideous:
I finished the Pixel Art Icons I made for this community today. Here they are:

[align=center]Land Before Time - Icon Set

Source

Anyone who wants to give some feedback for the icons can do it here or here. :)
(It's pretty cool that I had the chance to give something to this great community. :) )

So, that's it. Hope you like it. Oh wait..no, I don't. At least not the first part of this post. xD

'Til next time
RockingScorpion

Dalekdino

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • My D-art account
OK don't get me wrong but that pic of Littlefoot is quit creepy...
But I do like the icons.