The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Update: Life's Simple Improvements

AvestheForumFox

• The Circle
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bullockarts.net
Update Date: 9-13-08

Some things may seem to be looking up. At least in the talent department. No, I'm still unemployed, no job current to tie away my time and make me rant about how I hate the thing (that is work). But there is a breeze blowing and a shimmer of light on the horizon.

A glimmer of hope? Maybe not. I've put my hope in my talent so many times that I've often started not to trust it. Where do I even begin?

A friend of mine, the same lady who introduced me to the retired editor of the Huntsville Times (she is also the lady responsible for the song 'Grandma got ran over by a Reindeer) has me on a small contract job. She is paying me to turn one of her beloved childrens books into a comic book. I agreed. I signed the deal.

So what might this mean in the long run? Well, she has an agent in California who has helped her with her simple little music career who she intends to show this work to. My comic book work here may eventually end up in the hands of the people at Pixar if everything goes as planned. So I'm not only doing this project for a few hundred dollars, but also for the sake of opportunity.

Further in my job search, I've gone and harassed some of the newspaper places around town. And a printing place or two. Horton's Printing is looking for an illustrator to put together a kiddie coloring book. The Manager eagerly looked over my portfolio and liked what he saw and said he'd call me if he thought I fit the deal.

The Fayetevile Exchange has also looked over my portfolio, a gentleman by the name of Will glanced over my masterwork while I probably sounded like a gibbering idiot, trying to explain that I also can do digital work. He liked my stuff but told me that there was nothing currently open. But he had me fill out a resume and leave it with him. They may hire me within the next six months.

So, jobwise, I have an interview with a company called Cinram. A compan that puts together DVD packages. On my resume there, I put that I had loads of computer skills. so here's hoping I get a night job watching DVD's over and over again to check for problems. =P

On Writing:
Just about he whole last week I've had a nasty writer's block (when you have a writers block on the second draft of anything, you know its going to be a tough road ahead!) but as of yesterday, things have been flowing smoothly. I just finished reading the book by Steven King on writing and I've kind of adjusted to his suggestions. One tip that I've been focusing on is that the adjective is NOT your best friend! =P

example:
"But I don't want the pudding!" He said defiantly.

while this is sometimes okay, it is advised by King himself to avoid using these kind of words. Too many just make the text uninteresting.

Anyway, more to come =)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
G'luck to you, sirrah!  Keep on dreaming, and one day, we'll all see your name in lights!

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Hey! It's definitely a few plus points buddy! Who knows this could just be the beginning of something much greater. Got my fingers crossed for you my friend!

Good Luck! ;)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Good luck.  Sounds like you have many things that may lead to something someday and if nothing else the comic book you are drawing is more of your artwork you can show to others and a project you can show and prove you have done.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 It is awesome that you are really looking for opportunities to do things that you like, I wish you the best of lucks and success.