The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Did they ever saw how much time the movie took

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I know that there is a five year time gap between when they hatched and when Littlefoot first meets Cera.   However, I don't know how much of a time gap there is from when Mama Longneck dies to when Sharptooth dies and they get to the Great Valley.  Some think it's a matter of months but I think it's a matter of days or a week or two at most.  I think had it been months, the Gang of Five might well have died of hunger on their own.

There was info out there from the producers that the five year time gap existed as it was never stated in the movie (unless they did in a cut version).  

I'm wondering if the time gap between when Littlefoot set out for the Great Valley (alone) and when he got there (with his friends) was about a week or so.  Was there any word from the producers on that?  

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Where did you read that there was supposed to be a five year gap? A source would be nice here.

The time gap between the big earthshake and the arrival at the Great Valley must have been a few weeks at least. I base that mainly off the fact that Pterano couldn't have convinced part of the herd in such a short amount of time as one or two weeks. They followed him because they lost hope to ever find the Great Valley by simply following the direction it was supposed to be located. Pterano, as a flyer, has a huge advantage in terms of scouting so they might be better off with him.
Anyway, for them to lose hope, it takes a little more than just a few days in the barren land. That's why I think it took them several weeks to reach the Great Valley.
I know that the journey of the main five seems to have taken less than several weeks but think about it. We don't exactly know, how much time passed between Littlefoot losing his mother and him finding Cera. For all we know, he could've wandered around all alone for quite some time. Likewise, we don't know how far the place he found Ducky at is away from the big underground where Cera meets Sharptooth. Here, however, I think it can't have been that far since Cera was still running when she bumped into Littlefoot, Ducky and Petrie and, therefore, must have met Sharptooth not too long ago.
Just go on and go through the other scenes... we never know how much time passed between the scenes.  :exactly

I'm wondering if the time gap between when Littlefoot set out for the Great Valley (alone) and when he got there (with his friends) was about a week or so. Was there any word from the producers on that?
That I think has actually taken less than a week. The Mountains That Burn (Cera marched right into them with the others) aren't that far from the valley as later movies suggest. And the pond they drowned sharptooth in was just around the corner, so to speak ^^
Inactive, probably forever.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Jan 16 2015 on  07:28 AM
Where did you read that there was supposed to be a five year gap? A source would be nice here.

The time gap between the big earthshake and the arrival at the Great Valley must have been a few weeks at least. I base that mainly off the fact that Pterano couldn't have convinced part of the herd in such a short amount of time as one or two weeks. They followed him because they lost hope to ever find the Great Valley by simply following the direction it was supposed to be located. Pterano, as a flyer, has a huge advantage in terms of scouting so they might be better off with him.
Anyway, for them to lose hope, it takes a little more than just a few days in the barren land. That's why I think it took them several weeks to reach the Great Valley.
I know that the journey of the main five seems to have taken less than several weeks but think about it. We don't exactly know, how much time passed between Littlefoot losing his mother and him finding Cera. For all we know, he could've wandered around all alone for quite some time. Likewise, we don't know how far the place he found Ducky at is away from the big underground where Cera meets Sharptooth. Here, however, I think it can't have been that far since Cera was still running when she bumped into Littlefoot, Ducky and Petrie and, therefore, must have met Sharptooth not too long ago.
Just go on and go through the other scenes... we never know how much time passed between the scenes.  :exactly

I'm wondering if the time gap between when Littlefoot set out for the Great Valley (alone) and when he got there (with his friends) was about a week or so. Was there any word from the producers on that?
That I think has actually taken less than a week. The Mountains That Burn (Cera marched right into them with the others) aren't that far from the valley as later movies suggest. And the pond they drowned sharptooth in was just around the corner, so to speak ^^
No, a five year time gap between when Littlefoot hatched and when we see him next.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You state it as if it were a fact. It might very well be true but still I'd like to know where you got that information from since I haven't ever heard of any official information concerning the gap between Littlefoot's hatching and his next appearance.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
The five year gap does have something of an official confirmation. If I remember right, there was a novel for the movie that stated that there was a five year transition between the hatching and the "present time" in the movie. I forget which one it was, though. It's mentioned somewhere on this board.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, if you say so it's likely to be true :) I was just skeptical because it's a statement without any proof/source that it refers to. It's always important to add the source of any information after all - not only in scientific papers  :yes

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I too remember that some book (I got to admit though that I don't recall which one) made the five year reference. A superficial checking of the books I got right at hand didn't bring forth the respective one. I did come across one German book of 1989 making the notion "Jahr um Jahr verging." Year after year passed", without an actual number of years.
It should be noted that some books do come up with story elements that may be the invention of the respective author but may not be canon in the mind of Don Bluth (some of those are quite good and plausible though). Given the fast development we see in case of Spike and Chomper I could also imagine the events of the original movie to take place in even less than a year (assuming that the LBT dinosaur aging process is not similar to that of humans (obviously they cease to age notably for a long time after reaching childhood :DD)).

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I made this topic on how long the movie takes place over.

http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...showtopic=10506

Here's my thoughts on it now, though.  (I'm coming up with this on the spot, btw)

Day 1: Littlefoot's mom gives him the treestar and he meets Cera.

Day 2: Littlefoot and Cera encounter the sharptooth, the earthquake sucks him in, Momma Longneck dies.

Day 3: Littlefoot stumbles into Rooter and continues to grieve. In the middle of the day, he baby pteranodon offers Littlefoot his cherry but he declines.

Day 4: Early in the morning, after a day of grieving and being unmotivated, Littlefoot finds the treestar and hears his mother. At sunset, he encounters Cera again.

Day 5: A still grieving Littlefoot meets Ducky in the early morning and becomes friends with her, bringing him out of his funk. Meanwhile, Cera encounters the sharptooth. Spike is born and Petrie and Cera join the gang. They find some treestars and sleep in the sharptooth's footprint.

Day 6: The sharptooth manages to catch up with them. Later that day, Littlefoot and Cera have their fight, Cera leads the rest into the mountains that burn.

Day 7: Early in the morning, the gang defeat Sharptooth (Cera, after spending a night by herself and doing some soul-searching, rejoins them) and they reach the great valley very soon after.

All in all, it takes about a week, it seems.

HOWEVER...

in a slight variant, the beginning of Day 7 could be pushed to the end of Day 6. Considering the gang could easily be washing the tar off themselves while in the lake before seeing the sharptooth, this seems fairly possible.

So, 6 or 7 days.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Doesn't Littlefoot's mother say It's a long way yet... but we'll get there? That would indicate that the Great Valley was still very far away by the time Sharptooth attacks and the earthquake strikes. Though then again who knows if these events happened just the other night after that scene or some days/weeks later? 6/7 days seems unrealistic to me. The journey to the Great Valley must have been a long way as Littefoot's Mother's quote indicates.

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
But she'd never been there before, so she couldn't say for certain. She might have just been saying that so as not to get her son's hopes up.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah right. This whole discussion is pretty difficult anyway since there are no facts. There won't ever be THE right answer; it's a question that we can't really answer for there's no official information about this (the time between Littlefoot meeting Cera and the while Gang arriving at the Valley). So we both could be as right as we could be wrong and neither of us is ever gonna know. We can only guess... I suppose.

Bruton the Iguanodon

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Bluth would know!  :smile

And maybe the deleted scenes would give a little more insight. Unfortunately, the chances of ever seeing them aren't good...  :neutral

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah, no doubt he'd know  :wow

Yep, the deleted scenes might be helpful here. If we had them, that is :(

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Lets be honest, none of us learned how to talk overnight....so three years maybe?  That would be a safe guess.

LittlefootAndAliTogether

• Ducky
    • View Profile
1.) Chomper seems to learn really fast!   :lol  :lol

2.0  It is known that there was a 5 year gap from when they hatched to when we saw them again right before the Great Earthshake.  

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
And if you go for original movie only, Ducky, Spike and Cera had a rather easy time to learn how to walk too. In case of Cera she was actually walking (and charging) before she got out of the shell. In case of LBT walking seems to be genetically programmed (same as is the case in real life with giraffes for example who (come to think of it) share some features with longnecks :lol