The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Fanfiction Prompt Challenge Discussion

rhombus · 481 · 72376

Fyn16

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
Good evening, everyone!  :Mo

(Yep. Just testing out these snazzy new stickers)

This month came down to a tie, so you all know the drill! After a series of blind readings, Rhombus and I compared notes and came to January's winner. The title this time goes to Darkwolf91! Well done to you both. On a personal note, I'd like to point out that both fics this time around felt particularly inspired, and were not only great entries in their own right, but quite possibly some of the best two I've seen throughout the course of this competition. Very well done to you both, and while it may be a while before I can get down to properly reviewing them, I'd like to let you know that I was impressed with the quality and flow of both stories. I know I'm not around as often as I should be, but it's tales like these that draw me back in spite of my schedule. Great job, everyone!

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Thanks, guys! I loved Sovereign's entry as well, and it was particularly cool how the two stories complemented eachother by covering two related characters over roughly the same time period! This was a lot of fun, and I hope I'll have time to answer another prompt eventually :smile

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Congratulations, DarkWolf! :) Yes, it was quite a coincidence how similar our stories were and your story was really fun and well done also. On another note, I guess it's time for me to finally starting to write my response to the next prompt to avoid having two entries on my to-do list simultaneously. :lol

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, looks like I'll have something for the February prompt in the making... and this time it actually is a short story lol :D
Inactive, probably forever.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Good evening, everyone  :)

This is just a reminder that March's prompt is starting up which entails "Write a myth or legend set in the Land Before Time universe".  March's prompt will run until April 15th.  Also keep in mind that February's prompt is still running until the 15th of this month.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
With a majority of the potential votes in, Ducky123 is the winner of the February 2018 prompt challenge.  Congratulations, Ducky!  :) And I would like to again express my appreciation for all of last month's participants.  It is creativity such as what all of you demonstrate which makes this contest such a fun and enjoyable pastime.  :yes

Ducky123, as the winner of February's challenge you may add any of the following one gold star icons to your signature, whereas DiddyKF1 you may select any of the participant banners (no gold stars).  Additionally, DarkWolf and F-14 Ace, as previous winners who have not yet selected a banner, you may also add one of the one gold star icons to your signature.  :yes

Banners with Fyn:

Banners with Seeker:

Banners with Sol:

Banners with Taunt:

Thanks again for all of your participation, and I look forward to seeing what we can do with the March prompt!  :)

March 2018 (March 1 – April 15)
Write a myth or legend set in the Land Before Time universe

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Uh I was going to vote later today actually, I only just got around to read all relevant entries.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It was a nice surprise that we actually had a vote this time and it'd be great if we could reach this level of participation again. :) Is anyone else planning to take part in the March prompt?

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Sovereign on Mar 24 2018, 05:10:57 PM
It was a nice surprise that we actually had a vote this time and it'd be great if we could reach this level of participation again. :) Is anyone else planning to take part in the March prompt?
Well, technically any post from me would not count towards the competition, but I plan on posting something for the March prompt.  I just need to settle upon one idea for the actual story.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
don't think so. The prompt doesn't exactly give me any concrete ideas

btw: can I have Taunt as my banner? :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 08:04:08 PM by Ducky123 »

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^ Sorry, I missed your previous reply, Ducky.  but, sure, you can have Taunt for a banner.  :yes

And to clarify for everyone, in addition to the March prompt it is now time for the April 2018 prompt.  The prompt for April is as follows:

Either:

Write a comedy or crack fic

Or

Use this in the story: "Unlike the others, he/she preferred the dark

So quite a few options there for people to work with.  :yes

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Just to let everyone know, the deadline for the March prompt will be extended by 4 days (until the 19th) as Ducky123 might be away from ready computer access over the next few days. Also keep in mind that the April prompt is also active.  :)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I will have the story posted tomorrow, an exam prevented me from proofreading thus far :/

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
As there are two qualifying entries for the March prompt, Fyn and I will need to discuss the two entries and decide upon a winner.  I will let everyone know when we have made a decision.  :yes

On a related note, please keep in mind that the April prompt is still in progress.  We look forward to seeing what everyone comes up with.  :)

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It's nearly two weeks since the submitting time was supposed to end. I wonder when will the winner be announced? :unsure:

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^ Fyn has been quite busy as of late. Though I have my opinion of which story is the strongest competitor from this last month's prompt, this is something that will need to be discussed between the two of us before a final announcement concerning a winner is made.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
may I once again request a few more days for the completion of my entry for April? I have something really good coming :D

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Good evening, everyone!

First of all, I would like to extend my apologies for the delay in announcing the results for the March 2018 prompt challenge.  I wanted to wait until Fyn had an opportunity to indicate his preference, but he has been very busy as of late.  However, I think that more than enough time has passed so I am going to make a decision here.  Though both candidate stories were well done, I feel that Sovereign's entry of The Perils of the Deep is the clear winner.  Sovereign, you may update your prompt challenge icon in your signature to this:

Second, I would like to extend my sincere thanks to DiddyKF1 and jassy for their participation in the May 2018 challenge.  Both of you have made strong entries into the contest, and rest assured that regardless of the eventual results for that month, you both have written enjoyable pieces of fiction.  Please keep in mind that the deadline for the May 2018 prompt is not until June 15, so anyone else who wishes to participate still has plenty of time to do so.  Fyn and I both look forward to seeing what you all come up with.  :yes

Finally, unlike the May 2018 prompt, which already has two strong entries, the April 2018 prompt has yet to have an entry.  Part of this is probably due to this prompt taking place during a time when most of our writers have final exams (or in my case, are grading final exams) and thus have little time for writing. For that reason, and since an extension would not disadvantage anyone, I am going ahead and leaving the time period for the April 2018 prompt open until June 15 - the same cutoff date as for the May 2018 challenge.  

Thanks again for all of your participation in this fun challenge.  :)

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It's always great to win another star to my signature, especially with a fic I was quite fond of myself. Thanks a lot for it, rhombus! :yes As for this month, I certainly partake in the May prompt again and it's really nice to see already two entries to it. I'll look forward to reading them in the days to come but I think I'll do another chapter of Separate Ways before beginning my short story for May. :DD
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 03:33:01 PM by Sovereign »