The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Spinosaurus

Nahla · 5 · 1711

Nahla

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I was browsing on Facebook and noticed something  in 'Trending' that caught my eye.

Spinosaurus-half duck half crocodile dinosaur?

The largest predatory dinosaur to walk this earth wasn’t the T. rex. It was Spinosaurus aegyptiacus, a 50-foot long creature with powerful jaws and a solid, spiny sail on its back that dwelled in Northern Africa 95 million years ago. But even though paleontologists have known about this particular dinosaur for almost a century, its true form has only just been revealed.

"THE ONLY DINOSAUR THAT SHOWS [AQUATIC] ADAPTATIONS."

This is "the first water-adapted non-avian dinosaur on record," said University of Chicago paleontologist Paul Sereno in a press conference yesterday. Sereno is part of a team of researchers that was finally able to reconstruct Spinosaurus in full using newly discovered fossils and information gathered from the dinosaur’s initial discoverer, a German paleontologist named Ernst Stromer. According to their reconstruction, published today in Science, Spinosaurus aegyptiacus was a gigantic fish-eating, water-paddling marvel; one that, in Sereno’s words, was "a chimera รณ half duck, half crocodile."
'

Article

Just thought you guys might be interested,it's new news to me. I did not know this.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Great story! It has been known that spinosaurids were fish-hunters, but it hasn't been known that Spinosaurus was this well-adapted to water.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
Spinosaurus just keep getting cooler the more we learn about them :D .

I kind of think of them as more of a mix between Crocodiles and Grizzly Bears, though.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Interesting. I didn't know much about the Spinosaurus before.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Fascinating.  It is amazing the amount of discoveries that have been made in just the last few years concerning dinosaurs.  This new finding also makes some popular depictions of Spinosaurus (as in Jurassic Park III, for example) look silly.  Well, sillier than they already were.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.