The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Could a Spinosaurus produce offspring with a Tyran

Kittybubbles

• Member+
  • Chomper
  • Also known as DesertLily32 on FF.net
    • View Profile
Could a Spinosaurus produce offspring with a Tyrannosaurus rex?

Just a little thing I was wondering about since I kinda wanted to make a hybrid for a new/sequel fanfiction that I already started writing. (If anyone is wondering about my other one, I’m trying to get myself rereading to last chapter, but I haven’t been up to it this week. Hopefully next week when I get my new Kindle with its keyboard so I can type outside.)

Now, I know I can do whatever I want in a story since it is fiction (like some of those LittlefootXCera and PetrieXDucky stories) but I like making my stories more realistic-ish.  I can just go with the Giganotosaurus hybrid (Giganotosaurus X Tyrannosaurs rex) if I have to, but I preferred to have the offspring be bigger with longer arms and longer jaws. (:p, I might just go with the Spinosaurus hybrid anyway now that I think about it…).

But seriously, if the Tyrannosaurus rex and Spinosaurus lived in the same time period (I don’t think they do but I never bothered to look it up cuz I’m lazy :p) and lived in around the same habitat and had no other of their kind to breed with, would they be able to produce viable, healthy-ish offspring? (Which would more than likely be sterile).

I don’t even know if I put this in the right form…

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
In a fiction world, yeah, totally, go nuts! Make all the Spinosuarus Rex babies you desire. I ship LittlefootXCera, so who cares.

In a realistic world...yeah, maybe not. The T-Rex and the Spinosaurus were two totally different species, the Spinosaurus not even being a Tyrannosaur or in the same family as the T-Rex. That being said, both species were reproductively isolated from each other due to biological boundaries. Simply put, I don't think it would work. Even if, by some miracle, the two did happen to have an egg, it's highly unlikely the egg would hatch and, if it did, the offspring would not be viable.

If, per se, you happen to get another type of Tyrannosaur, that being in the same family as a T-Rex, like maybe a Gigantosaurus, then it may work. Think of it like a mule, produced by a Horse and a Donkey. Maybe it would work, but then the question is whether or not the offspring is viable. But, as the saying goes, nature finds a way.

Simba King Of Pride Rock

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://madagascarpalace87.proboards.com/
Quote from: Kittybubbles,Jul 2 2015 on  04:28 PM

Just a little thing I was wondering about since I kinda wanted to make a hybrid for a new/sequel fanfiction that I already started writing. (If anyone is wondering about my other one, I’m trying to get myself rereading to last chapter, but I haven’t been up to it this week. Hopefully next week when I get my new Kindle with its keyboard so I can type outside.)

Now, I know I can do whatever I want in a story since it is fiction (like some of those LittlefootXCera and PetrieXDucky stories) but I like making my stories more realistic-ish.  I can just go with the Giganotosaurus hybrid (Giganotosaurus X Tyrannosaurs rex) if I have to, but I preferred to have the offspring be bigger with longer arms and longer jaws. (:p, I might just go with the Spinosaurus hybrid anyway now that I think about it…).

But seriously, if the Tyrannosaurus rex and Spinosaurus lived in the same time period (I don’t think they do but I never bothered to look it up cuz I’m lazy :p) and lived in around the same habitat and had no other of their kind to breed with, would they be able to produce viable, healthy-ish offspring? (Which would more than likely be sterile).

T. rex and Spinosaurus did not live at the same time, or in the same place. Hope that is helpful.

Kittybubbles

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Simba King Of Pride Rock,Jul 2 2015 on  05:53 PM
Quote from: Kittybubbles,Jul 2 2015 on  04:28 PM

Now, I know I can do whatever I want in a story since it is fiction (like some of those LittlefootXCera and PetrieXDucky stories) but I like making my stories more realistic-ish.  I can just go with the Giganotosaurus hybrid (Giganotosaurus X Tyrannosaurs rex) if I have to, but I preferred to have the offspring be bigger with longer arms and longer jaws. (:p, I might just go with the Spinosaurus hybrid anyway now that I think about it…).

T. rex and Spinosaurus did not live at the same time, or in the same place. Hope that is helpful.
That’s what I figured. Eh, I think I’m still going with the hybrid idea.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Even if spinosaurus and tyrannosaurus lived at the same time together, they most likely would not have been able to make an offspring as they would be too genetically different from each other.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
It could probably only work in a Jurassic World type setting, and then only artificially. It would work about as well as trying to cross an American bison with a Siberian tiger

Kittybubbles

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Jul 2 2015 on  07:06 PM
Even if spinosaurus and tyrannosaurus lived at the same time together, they most likely would not have been able to make an offspring as they would be too genetically different from each other.
Yeah…I kinda figured that. Even though I said this up above in like the third comment that I was going to go with the Spinosaurus hybrid, now I’m not. I wanted to go with the seemingly more able Giganotosaurus T-rex combo until I noticed that they were of different families. So, they cannot produce offspring either, so now I have to look at tyrannosauridae family and find which one I like best and have it breed with the cannon character I wanted to produce the hybrid offspring. Sigh, I guess I can’t totally have my massive carnivore with longer arms.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Giganotosaurus didn't live in the same location as tyrannosaurus. It was a south american animal, and there was no pathway to get to South America from North America. Unless that tyrannosaurus could swim hundreds of miles, there was no way one was ending up in where Giganotosaurus lived, even if they lived at thes ame time.

It is difficult for one species to produce offspring with another, and most of the time, they are infertile and can't produce children of their own. In order to have a hybrid dinosaur, if you're going realistic, you have very few options that would make sense and work, and for the most part, they could not produce offspring of their own. There are exceptions of course. I'm pretty sure polar bears and grizzly bears can make offspring, but I believe this is because they evolved from the same ancestor and hadn't drifted too far apart, and still have enough in common to have babies together.

Some tyrannosaurs did have longer arms, however, most of those would be small. The tyrannosaur family is known for having short, stubby arms. And I don't think tyrannosaurus lived with any other tyrannosaurs unless you count possibly nanotyrannus; the other tyrannosaurs lived at different times, or in a different location, and some were much smaller than tyrannosaurus.

No, I don't think you could give the tyrannosaurus hybrid longer arms. At least not without either stretching realism or making up a dinosaur (since it is fiction). Another option, though it's rare and I don't think it would occur much in nature, is if the gene for longer arms was turned on somehow. Guanlong is an ancestor to tyrannosaurus and it still had the long, three clawed hands.

Kittybubbles

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Jul 3 2015 on  06:49 PM
Giganotosaurus didn't live in the same location as tyrannosaurus. It was a south american animal, and there was no pathway to get to South America from North America. Unless that tyrannosaurus could swim hundreds of miles, there was no way one was ending up in where Giganotosaurus lived, even if they lived at thes ame time.

It is difficult for one species to produce offspring with another, and most of the time, they are infertile and can't produce children of their own. In order to have a hybrid dinosaur, if you're going realistic, you have very few options that would make sense and work, and for the most part, they could not produce offspring of their own. There are exceptions of course. I'm pretty sure polar bears and grizzly bears can make offspring, but I believe this is because they evolved from the same ancestor and hadn't drifted too far apart, and still have enough in common to have babies together.

Some tyrannosaurs did have longer arms, however, most of those would be small. The tyrannosaur family is known for having short, stubby arms. And I don't think tyrannosaurus lived with any other tyrannosaurs unless you count possibly nanotyrannus; the other tyrannosaurs lived at different times, or in a different location, and some were much smaller than tyrannosaurus.

No, I don't think you could give the tyrannosaurus hybrid longer arms. At least not without either stretching realism or making up a dinosaur (since it is fiction). Another option, though it's rare and I don't think it would occur much in nature, is if the gene for longer arms was turned on somehow. Guanlong is an ancestor to tyrannosaurus and it still had the long, three clawed hands.
I understand that Tyrannosaurs rex and Giganotosaurus lived in different parts of the word, but I was referring to the of Land Before Time universe where pretty much any dinosaur from any time can live anywhere.

Different species can produce offspring with one another as long as they are in the same family, animal kingdom wise. For example, a horse with a donkey would make a mule or a lion and a tiger could create a liger or a tigon.  I know the hybrid offspring most likely would be infertile, but I’m only interested in the original Tyrannosaurs rex hybrid for my fanfic.  

I decided that I will not be making the hybrid as all the tyrannosauridae (tyrannosaurus family) are too similar in physical appearance and smaller than T-rex. I originally wanted my character to be bigger than a typical T-rex, but the ones I was playing with (Spinosaurus and Giganotosaurus) I realized that they just wouldn’t work since they are not part of the same animal family.  So now I’m just going to make a big mom and big dad to produce an extra-large child and to make him special, he will have feathers…

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kittybubbles,Jul 4 2015 on  10:58 AM
Different species can produce offspring with one another as long as they are in the same family, animal kingdom wise. For example, a horse with a donkey would make a mule or a lion and a tiger could create a liger or a tigon.  I know the hybrid offspring most likely would be infertile, but I’m only interested in the original Tyrannosaurs rex hybrid for my fanfic.
I am aware of that. I know about tigons and I know about mules. What I was saying is that two species breeding together would be difficult as the genes have to be genetically close enough to be able to produce an offspring. They have to have enough in common genetically, otherwise it wouldn't work. So yes, your chances are at their best if they are of the same family, but I don't know if that's always the case. I'm not sure if two species of the same family could always produce an offspring.

A friend of mine created a dinosaur character that was a cross between my alimon species (fictional four-legged theropod related to herrerrasaurus) and a carnotaurus (her fav dino). Such a pairing would never work in a realistic setting, but she did it anyway. So I don't see why you couldn't forego realism to have the hybrid dino that you wanted, since this is a fictional setting. But that's up to you.

Kittybubbles

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Jul 4 2015 on  10:38 AM
Quote from: Kittybubbles,Jul 4 2015 on  10:58 AM
Different species can produce offspring with one another as long as they are in the same family, animal kingdom wise. For example, a horse with a donkey would make a mule or a lion and a tiger could create a liger or a tigon. I know the hybrid offspring most likely would be infertile, but I°¶m only interested in the original Tyrannosaurs rex hybrid for my fanfic.
I am aware of that. I know about tigons and I know about mules. What I was saying is that two species breeding together would be difficult as the genes have to be genetically close enough to be able to produce an offspring. They have to have enough in common genetically, otherwise it wouldn't work. So yes, your chances are at their best if they are of the same family, but I don't know if that's always the case. I'm not sure if two species of the same family could always produce an offspring.

A friend of mine created a dinosaur character that was a cross between my alimon species (fictional four-legged theropod related to herrerrasaurus) and a carnotaurus (her fav dino). Such a pairing would never work in a realistic setting, but she did it anyway. So I don't see why you couldn't forego realism to have the hybrid dino that you wanted, since this is a fictional setting. But that's up to you.
Okay, I agree with you :p. I remember reading something about a wolf and fox cannot produce offspring. So I looked some things up and found this little thing.

°ßCanid hybrids are the result of interbreeding between different species of the canine (dog) family ( Canidae ). They often occur in the wild, in particular between domestic or feral dogs and wild native canid. Members of the dog genus Canis: wolves , domestic dogs, dingoes, Ethiopian Wolves, coyotes, and golden jackals cannot interbreed with members of the wider dog family: the Canidae , such as South American canids, foxes, African wild dogs, bat-eared foxes or raccoon dogs ; or, if they could, their offspring would be infertile. They could meet but couldn't produce offspring.°®

After reading this I had to look up the taxonomy of the Canidae family. Kind of interesting to look at but now I still don°¶t know how I would hybridize those. Eh, I can look up that stuff if I ever need that. So, if I want a hybrid of a dinosaur, I°¶ll just stay with the family and similar sizes since we wouldn°¶t exactly know if they could produce offspring or not.

The main thing about this stuff is that I like science-y things. So, even though it is fiction, I like to keep in realistic-ish, until I start adding my favorite fantasy elements like shape shifters and manipulators of elements of nature.

Thanks for the interesting discussion  :)