The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Land Before Time XI News

Petrie · 156 · 19493

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Release Date: January 11th 2005

I was looking at amazon.com and found this:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...?v=glance&s=dvd
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...?v=glance&s=dvd

It has the price and a release date but not any other information
I'm hip, I'm cool. I'm a happening fool

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Everyone has their own opinions on which sequels they like but personally...I prefer the latter series of sequels to the first lot. I'm quite looking forward to this new LBT film no matter what it has in terms of a plot. Learning a big lesson from a little lie huh... sounds kinda fishy but I am certainly gonna be first in line for its release. I treasure all the LBT films and its obvious that Im gonna favour certain sequels over others and people are liable to have different views but it seems as though Im the only one who prefers Grosvenor's set of sequels to Smith's. I cant deny that Smith has done an excellent job with his sequels and created some of the most unforgetable characters the saga has ever seen but I seem to stand alone with me opinions. Anyways, Im looking forward to #11 even if others are not. Im still trying to get all of 'em on PAL DVD but they only started from #8! Hope they're gonna bring the rest out on DVD region 2. Seem a bit pointless to just have a handful on DVD and the rest on VHS

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Hi Littlefoot-1616!
Your message could've been written by me, just with the sequels the other way round. As for the sequels I definitely prefer LBT 2 - 6 from those produced ever since, with the definite exception of LBT 9, which I really liked. I don't like any mysteries that are not really kept a mystery, like the rainbowfaces for example. I also take it very awry if sequels contradict earlier movies like LBT 8 and in particular LBT 10, and also the sharpteeth in these two sequels were too harmless for my taste. Also I do not like the effects like everything (including the characters) turning red in case of danger, color plays such as deep green skies or lava or strongly varying colors of the main characters, and photo realistic backgrounds behind the drawn characters.  These are my points of criticism about these later sequels.
Like you are not thinking bad about Roy Alan Smith in general I don't think bad of Charles Grosvenor either.
However, I'd be very interested which are your points of criticism about the earlier sequels.
One quote from your mail that I definitely oppose (I almost suspect that you made a failure in writing there) is:
I cant deny that Smith has done an excellent job with his sequels and created some of the most unforgetable characters the saga has ever seen but I seem to stand alone with me opinions.
Do you really think the only one who doesn't deny that Smith has created some excelent characters? I think a majority of people would vote for Chomper or Ali as their favorite characters except for the five main characters.
I rather think you meant to write that you consider yourself a minority favoring the later sequels of Grosvenor over the earlier ones from Smith. You know, actually I consider myself a minority with my dislike of Grosvenor's later sequels (when I speak of them I mean LBT 7, 8 and 10). There is little resonance for my criticism of these sequels and I'm definitely one of very few people who don't appreciate of crossing over stories, human involvement, or ideas of letting the characters grow up. Though Grosvenor doesn't do any of these either his involving of aliens and mysterious stuff is what comes closest to a crossing over story throughout the LBT series. Actually Littlefoot-1616 I'm afraid (no disrespect meant by that formulation) you are not the one who represents a minority among LBT fans. Please don't blame me for regretting this  :(

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Hey! It's no biggy Malte!  :D  I think I didnt quite come across as I meant to. The quote you picked out from my last post (now I've re-read it) didnt actually represent exactly what I meant to say. Rather foolish but...  :huh: I guess I just prefer how Grosvenor's movies seem to develop a little bit more in terms of animation and style. Has anyone actually watched LBT films in succession and noticed the difference in how the movies are presented? Smith's are very firm and rigid in terms of change (hope that sounds how it's supposed to sound... i.e. degrading. Not intentional if it did). Great in its own right in that it is established and viewers know what to expect from say "A Roy Allen Smith LBT Flick". Where I think the divide lies between the two directors is in their techniques and perceptions in how the LBT world should look and flow as a film. Once Grosvenor takes over as director, between 5, 6, 7 and 8-10 there seems to be very gradual changes in the style of animation. The biggest jump, I reckon, is in #7. The cel-animation in that seems a completely new twist compared to the others that we've already previously witnessed. Another extreme example of this sort of animation change (non LBT related) was when The Legend of Zelda was first released on the Gamecube. Everyone was expecting an enhanced graphic version of an excellent series but they were horrified to see it was cel-shaded when the first few screenshots came out for it (me for one). Needless to say it still sold well but just that initial change in animation style almost threw everyone off the band-wagon! I think Grosvenor made the same, I'll say "mistake" but it's not the right word I was looking for, when #7 came out. A lot of people I've heard talking about #7 dispise it because of the new animation style. I dont think Grosvenor's animation changes came to a resting point until about #8. From there, I dont think his techniques have changed much... LOL! I never get tired of Malte saying how he HATES the way the colour scheme shoots out the window as soon as danger creeps on the scene.  :P But I guess...that's just MY preference... I prefer Grosvenor's LBT flicks to Smith's simply on the animation, ideas and style. No one has to agree with me on this...Im not expecting anyone to either! LOL.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Once Grosvenor takes over as director, between 5, 6, 7 and 8-10 there seems to be very gradual changes in the style of animation. The biggest jump, I reckon, is in #7. The cel-animation in that seems a completely new twist compared to the others that we've already previously witnessed.

Knowing little about animation and movie creating I'm not really sure what you mean. Could you give a few examples for it to be found in the movies?

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I think what Littlefoot is trying to tell us that starting with LBT 8 we start seeing more computer-ish animation in the LBT films.  The shadowing on the characters give them a more three dimensional feel. :)  The animation on LBT 7 was ..... crap IMO.  They experimented and I sure didn't like the result.

I guess I'm going against you two because I seem to have a stronger liking for the Roy Allen Smith films because of Ali and Chomper.  The only Grosvenor film I've really enjoyed is LBT 9 when we get Mo.  The rest I just don't care for....I'm growing old I think and I'm not looking at them in the same light I once used to.  :(

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I guess I'm going against you two because I seem to have a stronger liking for the Roy Allen Smith films because of Ali and Chomper.

Not "against" me, you don't. As I said I prefer most of Smith's movie's as he stuck within certain limits with the storylines. Though with Smith having used many possibilities already it may be that Grosvenor (respectively those who write the story plots) had more difficulties to come up with something new. Like you I was very fond of LBT 9 and LBT 5 and 6 are both quite alright with me too, while the others suffered from the drawbacks I mentioned before.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Six had some nice songs...I really liked the jazzy swing-style "Bad Luck". :)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Number six also had about the measure of "mysterious" elements that I consider quite alright. Everyone who still didn't want to believe in the lone dinosaur legend could consider everything a coincident.
The music was quite alright. Nothing that I loved as much as some songs from other LBT movies, but also no one that I didn't like (I know you were not to fond of "On your own" though).

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
^ Yeah I guess you kind of can tell which songs I didn't like. :P  If the clips aren't avaliable at LBT.org that probably means I didn't like the song. :P

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
^ You actually mentioned once that you don't like that one song.

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
"The small-fry dinosaur friends are back for their ninth outing in this 77-minute movie, but this time they're not the littlest creatures in the Great Valley. A herd of miniature dinos is discovered when Little Foot tries to sneak some "tree sweets," but falls into the tree instead, knocking down all the blossoms. This gives the tiny herd easy access to the food, which they quickly devour and disappear. But instead of taking the blame, Little Foot inadvertently sends the prehistoric adults into a "get Frankenstein" kind of frenzy by blaming the little ones entirely for the loss of the harvest. The kids find the herd first, of course, and protect it from the adults until everyone settles down and accepts each other's differences. A subplot spotlights Cera and her adjustment to Dad dating Tria, a lady Triceratops friend from Dad's past come back to reignite old passions. (Ages 3 to 7)--"

Review by Amazon.com
Looks like Ali isn't going to be in this one either.. \:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thank you for letting us know!  :)  They finally seem to come up with more details.

A subplot spotlights Cera and her adjustment to Dad dating Tria, a lady Triceratops friend from Dad's past come back to reignite old passions.
 <_< I'm afraid this is going to be another land before time movie that will contradict "Old Threehorns", the land before time story I'm working with.

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
:blink:  Cera's going to have a stepmom!!!!  :blink:

That plot sounds like a repeat of 1, 7, and 8 all mixed in together.  Littlefoot's lied in just about all the films now hasn't he?

NewOrder

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • No Sense of Reason
Bah! They're always tryin to teach the same lessons.. at least they could do it with Ali \:

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
^ Well I'm more digusted with the recycling of lessons but they are limited to what can be done because they are, well, dinosaurs.  *shrugs*

And I must say, because I say how mad I made Jay over at network54 that we're much older than the target audience--the kids who see this aren't going to see it through the rational eyes that we do.  We see for what has been done in the past, what lessons are being taught, how the characters are etc but a younger kid won't see the film this way.  ;)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I have to say that I'm none too enthused with the premiss of the next one, but I will give it a fair chance, as usual.

I know I said that I wouldn't earlier (on the other forum that I post on), but I've change my mind.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Petrie

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Even though it doesn't sound great I always had the intention of giving it a chance. ;)  No matter what plot they give you, this IS a lot better than Saturday morning cartoons. ;)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Speaking of plots, it is somehow funny how it is sometimes stories with a relatively simple plot I like. LBT 9 for example has a very simple plotline, and I loved that one. LBT 7 had much more complex a plot, but I wasn't too fond of it.
I can't generelize here though, as there are some complex plots among my favorite LBT movies as well.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I suppose it beats SATAM cartoons (depending on which set of them you watch), I just don't like them putting anymore flaws on Littlefoot than necessary.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf