The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Spoiler-free thoughts on Journey of the Brave

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
Well, I know that some of us won't be able to see the new LBT film straight away, but may want to know what others thought of the film. So, those of us who have seen it can post their thoughts here, but please, KEEP IT SPOILER-FREE! Spoiler-y thoughts should be posted in the Journey of the Brave topic for the time being, seeing as some spoilers have already been revealed there.

Anyways, I'm just going to give some quick thoughts, since I'm going to write a full review in the other topic at some point. I thought it was pretty good overall, and it was definitely a step up from LBT 13, so I'm happy. The songs were likeable, although I don't think there's anything particularly special about them, and as for the new voices... they didn't bother me as much as I thought they would. Grandpa will definitely take some getting used to, but it is what it is. Threehorn sounded pretty good and Felix Avitia did a great job on Littlefoot! The backgrounds they used were also quite stunning, too. There was a lot more detail to them this time around, which I really liked. There were a few things that bugged me a bit, but overall the story was good and it was great to see our gang back on the screen! I'd say it's one of the better sequels.  :yes

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
I didn't see the movie yet, I'm gonna watch the movies again (excluding the TV series, not interested in spending THAT much waiting to see it, hell, I'm already watching all the movies, and that's well enough.)

Although I did see an image of something quite surprising...
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Guess who back? Back again?
    • View Profile
Having just seen it myself, I personally thought it was what I had hoped for. The songs were pretty good, the new characters were better than I expected, and although a few of the new voices may take some time to get used to, the others were pretty spot-on.

As for the rest...let's just say it was definitely better than 13. I'll give my full thoughts on this movie on the other thread some other time.  :yes

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Way better than 13. And Look for the Light is one of the better songs of the series now that I've heard it all the way through.

Parker

• Ruby
    • View Profile
Despite a few nitpicks here and there, I largely adored the new movie. It delivered a simple new adventure starring our favorite dinosaur friends. There really isn't much more I could have asked for. As far as Land Before Time sequels go, I'd rank it among the better ones, easily. The plot might not have been as memorable or complex compared to movies like Journey Through the Mists or The Stone of Cold Fire, but it was definitely just as fun, if not more so.

For a direct-to-video 2D animated movie, the animation was solid, and the painted backgrounds stunning, I'd say. Voice work was top-notch too. Littlefoot and Chomper opened their mouths and sounded like Littlefoot and Chomper - not just poor imitations. The new voices for Grandpa Longneck and Mr. Threehorn were notably different, but not bad by any means. Most importantly, all the characters behaved like their old selves, and the new characters entertained with amusing personalities and quirks. The songs didn't take me out of the movie, and most were actually pretty catchy.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
As far as LBT sequels go this has to be one of the better ones. The plot was solid, the new characters are all quite likeable... And it also holds well in the visual department. The animation was great and I was surprised at how good the backgrounds looked. The environments in the new movie seemed closer to how the land before time was shown in the original movie. :yes Even the songs didn't bother me as much as they usually do (I never was a fan of musicals :p ).
Oh and also this is probably going to be my new favourite picture of Ruby now. :lol:

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, I'll leave the big words for the in-depth review in the other JOTB thread but... let's just say it's great, mostly. There are a few things that bother me a little but there are also things I think they did better than all other sequels did. If you can't watch it, PM me and I'll show you where you can (credit goes to pokeplayer, who you could also PM of course  ^^spike )
Inactive, probably forever.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Just watched it, no complaints. Solid sequel-quality sequel.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
It seems there will be long time ahead before I watch Journey of the Brave...

But I gave up. I can't sit there without ANY information. Or people reaction.
I could try to read carefully some reviews or anything, but I'm afraid to catch spoiler.

so I'm here with one question...
Did you guys, LBT fans, liked this movie? I mean, most of people liked or disliked it?Was it bad, or better than last LBT movies? Does it have "more serious" plot and story? Does it have at least tiny part of atmosphere of original movie?

thx very much
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I personally think It's pretty good for a LBT sequal. Much better than the most recent sequals, at least. It has it's share of stupid annoying crap, but it seemed to focus less on that, and more on the stuff you'd actually care about, unlike how Wisdom of Friends ended up.

Not gonna spoil anything specific, but the movie does seem to try to feel more like the original in some ways, but it get's nowhere close to the original as far as emotional impact.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
The major complaint everyone seems to have with JOTB is its sound design... For some reason they decided to use cartoony slapstick-inspired sound effects in some scenes which just seem out of place. And it wrap ups very quickly so the ending can feel a bit rushed. But other than that it's fairly decent. :)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
overalll I did like it, though I do agree, the ending did seem very rushed.

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I will say this, despite the fact that I pretty much had a mixed reaction, I can still respect it for what it is.  The main reason is that you can tell that someone in the team cared enough to salvage it from becoming complete crap.  Whoever they are, I thank them because you can tell, it could've been much worse.

On the plus side, I got this for my nephews.  They haven't stopped watching it since. :)littlefoot

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I already made my long review of Davis Doi's new movie. And it was horrible and semi god awful. A few parts I liked but the rest where eh to me.

Sable

• Ruby
    • View Profile
    • http://ravenclawdirewolf.tumblr.com
I really liked it! It's definitely a return to form for the franchise. The animation was quite nice, too.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Nothing Davis Doi directs is good and the animation was not good it's Horrible CGI mixed with 2D animation it was kinda a eye sore to me. But if you like it that's cool.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think my comment from the 'LBT personal ranking' topic fits my views on this film quite well:

"The fourteenth film has grown on me a little since I left my review of the movie. It is my favorite of the post LBT VIII films, though I think it still had its far share of problems. That being said, overall it was a welcome departure from the, in my opinion, general decline in quality in LBT IX through LBT XIII."

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.