The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Fanfiction Awards 2015

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
On request of one of our members here's a little post about the fanfiction awards this year.

I introduced the FF awards in 2012, back when a lot of people asked for the category to be included in the yearly awards. There were a ton of submissions and people were really excited to have their fanfics rated for the first time. The submissions have been dwindling down ever since though, and last year I believe there were just 7 submissions by 6 members, one of which didn't receive any votes at all. This disappointing turnout, in combination with the work it takes to set up these awards (going through every fanfic submission to see if it is within our guidelines, making sure all the votes are tallied and they are all legit, making several different banners for everyone, etc.) it really isn't worth it for me to keep them running.

Now perhaps I'm wrong, and perhaps the FF section has sprouted back into life over the past year. So I'd like to know how many people would be interested in running the FF awards. That is, not just to submit your own fanfiction, but also to rate other people's work... That part is probably the most important! If there are over 5 people truly interested in both submitting and voting, I'm willing to give it another shot. But you have to know that I'm extremely busy and that things might not be done as quickly as they were in 2012 and 2013. I'm currently going towards my last year in uni and it requires a lot of preparation. Thanks for your understanding!

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'd definitely like to see this happening again, Iris. If you need any help with the awards, let me know.

I haven't really updated my fanfiction in a while but I'd still enter it (again) and vote for as many fics as I can. There have been quite a few new fanfictions in the last few months (more than 5 for sure!) so I hope we'll get enough people to enter :)
Inactive, probably forever.

bestariana1girl

• Petrie
    • View Profile
While I know everyone is busy, I respect that. I also know that, the fanfiction awards are also a positive event, many users on the GOF work hard during the year to bring good qualities to they're fan fictions, including myself, I love to read what my fellow GOF friends have been putting their hearts into. I believe the fanfiction awards deserve at least one more shot, of course Mumbling; giving you as much time as you need.
8 years with TGOF :yum

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I definitely would be sad to see the fanfiction awards disappear.  There have been quite a few new stories and several that have been updated after long hiatuses, so I certainly hope that there would be enough participants available this year.  Though no one would fault you for taking all of the time that you need, Mumbling.  I know that the senior year at university can be a truly nerve-wracking time, and academics certainly are a higher priority than forum business.  :yes

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Nahla

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I won't be entering this year, I haven't even updated a fic since the start of the year, university is killing me man.

Though if they do run I will try and vote on the ones I read, pretty sure I have missed a some new ones but then again in university there is no such thing as 'free time'.

Would be sad to see them go, they really do put peoples work in the spotlight but if you feel it's not worth the time I can't fault you on that. Your call in the end, take your time Mumbling, not like we're gonna hunt you down with pitchforks if our awards are late.

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Guess who back? Back again?
    • View Profile
While the situation is understandable, I too would be sad to see the fanfiction awards go. Since there have recently been a number of great fanfics being published as of now, I'm sure people would love to submit and vote for them. It would be great to run them again, despite your busy schedule.

somerandomfangirl

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Resident longneck stan
    • View Profile
I too have only updated my fanfic once in the last year and a half, so I won't be submitting my fanfic this year. However, I am happy to try and read and rate as many other fanfics as I can. I'm on a long holiday now so while I am busy going out with people and doing things for cadets and stuff like that, I will try my best to at least start reading some of the newer fanfictions that have sprouted up on here.

I understand the situation you're in Iris, so I'll offer a helping hand if you need it since I do have a lot more time on my hands, especially now. I can see where you're coming from, though - it is difficult to do such a time-consuming event for this forum when you have a lot of things going on in your own life. Even so, it would be sad to see the fanfiction awards go. There have been quite a few new fanfictions lately and hopefully people will submit them.

"Some things you see with your eyes. Others, you see with your heart." :MomCompassion

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
I certainly I am interested in giving this a go. I enjoy reading and we have had a few new story's on the board that I am willing to read and review. Plus I have a lot more time on my hands with the inter trimester break just around the corner so I am willing to give it a shot.
What's the point in being mad if you don't do mad things now and again?

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Alright, it seems like plenty of people are interested in voting at least. Feel free to nudge those people whose fanfic you want to review to have them submit it to me. I'll open up the official topic now.