The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Why no "Big Longneck Test"?

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It's something that I've been wondering for a while now.  Why is it that the TV Series Episode, The Big Longneck Test was not included in the US DVD release?  Why was it that this was the one episode that got scrapped from being released on DVD?

Sure it's not the best episode, (and not the worst, IMO) but why not include it?

Your thoughts?  Because I really don't think its just a simple coincidence.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I think they had to drop one, because the episodes apparently went on a 4-per-disc format, plus one included with LBT 13, leaving an odd one out. Not that I approve, and if this is the reason than their pre-planning department sucks, but a possible. explanation.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: LettuceBacon&Tomato,Nov 18 2009 on  12:53 AM
I think they had to drop one, because the episodes apparently went on a 4-per-disc format, plus one included with LBT 13, leaving an odd one out. Not that I approve, and if this is the reason than their pre-planning department sucks, but a possible. explanation.
I don't think that's it.  This is based on the simple FACT that when they were put in other languages, those countries ended up with 2 of the discs containing 5 episodes.

If they could do it for other countries like that, why not US?  I really don't see an excuse for this. (At least a good one. -_-)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I have wondered that myself.  They could have had 1 dvd with 5 episodes on it.  Some other dvd's do that.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Firefly did that. Full Metal Alchemist did that. Star Trek:The Original Series just added another disc with only one episode. there were many ways they could have done it, they just chose not to. I doubt we'll ever know why. Thank god for landbeforetimelover's website!

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: LettuceBacon&Tomato,Nov 18 2009 on  01:28 PM
Firefly did that. Full Metal Alchemist did that. Star Trek:The Original Series just added another disc with only one episode. there were many ways they could have done it, they just chose not to. I doubt we'll ever know why. Thank god for landbeforetimelover's website!
Yeah, it's great to have LBTlover's site, but I just wish you could get them all legit, ya know?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Thank god for landbeforetimelover's website!

It's nice to know I'm appreciated. :D

Yeah, it's great to have LBTlover's site, but I just wish you could get them all legit, ya know?

Tell me about it!  I have all the TV episodes in MUCH better quality than on my site, but they're no where near DVD quality.  So much for getting good snapshots from this episode. <_<

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Am I still upset over this?  Yes.  Not as much, but I'm still upset.

However, an idea has come to me that will give us an as close to DVD quality episode as possible.  One that is even closer than what LBTlover holds.

First off, this is a request that goes out to those who live in another country.

The idea is to get a DVD quality video of The Big Longneck Test in another language, then take the audio track of the English download into an .mp3 file and put that in place of it original audio of the different language video.

The result would give us an English Speaking Episode with DVD quality video and close to DVD quality audio.

All we need is someone willing to give it in another language.  It'll be simple from there.

So, anyone willing?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
The problem would be in editing VOB video and actually exporting it in FULL QUALITY.  VOB is much more tricky to encode than normal video formats such as AVI and such.  Mostly because it's a professional format that's only supposed to be used on DVD players.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jan 25 2010 on  01:27 AM
The problem would be in editing VOB video and actually exporting it in FULL QUALITY.  VOB is much more tricky to encode than normal video formats such as AVI and such.  Mostly because it's a professional format that's only supposed to be used on DVD players.
Whoops!  Forgot that small technicality within the brilliance of my plan!

Well, guess I'm stuck then. :(

The Chronicler

• Bionicle fan of GoF
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Seeing as no one I know of is hosting the TV episodes online anymore, I figured I'd better bring up this topic.

I guess all I can say is that it's a real shame there's no way to legally obtain this episode, while all the others can be purchased on DVD. -_-  Universal would do us all a huge favor if they were to include it in a future release, like say, the 25th anniversary edition of the original movie, or something like that.

"I have a right to collect anything I want. It's just junk anyway."
- Berix

My first fanfiction: Quest for the Energy Stones
My unfinished and canceled second fanfiction: Quest for the Mask of Life
My currently ongoing fanfiction series: LEGO Equestria Girls

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
Since it's been uploaded (in 1080p!!!) on the seemingly official YT channel in August 2017, all is not lost. I've saved it with VLC magic so I can get good screenshots with it in Media Player Classic.
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)