The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Got a new vid player for my computer!

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I now hold a brand new vid playing program for my computer.  Here's the whole story behind how I got it.

Now, I had finished downloading a rather large torrent off the net. (5.8 GB!  Don't worry, I still have about 30 GB left. :D) When it was finished, I was VERY eager to open the files within.  So I opened the files and found the format to be of .mov and .ogm.  It kind of peeked my curiosity since I've never heard of these kinds of files.  Anyways, I go and double click on one of the .ogm files and find that I need a new program.  Luckily, my computer is programed to find such things if they are available on the net and allow me to download them.  I was in luck that something existed.  So I downloaded the brand new player called the "GOM Player". (The file's only about 6 MB, so it can fit on just about ANY computer.)

After downloading it, I was quite impressed with it.  The GOM Player is said to be the most advanced player to date and it stands to boast apparently. :P: It can play quite a number of format files, even the .mov and .ogm.  You can set it for either Regular or High-quality picture.  It works with all available audio formats.  You can set it to continuously loop, play to the end and stop or go to the file of the same name.

It works so well too.  And only about 6MB?  Unbelievable! :^.^:

I just really couldn't resist announcing this!  Seriously! :D

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It's useful to have one program that can play many different types of video files, even better if they are small ones.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
GOM among others use internal codecs so they are able to play just about anything regardless of what you do or don't have installed on your computer.  I have not tried GOM before.  My experience lies with VLC and the KMPlayer, both of which do the exact same thing.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Downloaded GOM to give it a try.  Its really fast and quick with a light GUI.  What I found particularly odd is that it cannot play FLAC files, yet it has no problem capturing audio in vorbis.  Strange why it chooses the option to decode one and not the other.  Plays FLV files without breaking and it played every single thing (except for the FLAC files) without choking.  You made a good choice. :)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Actually I'll take back what I said earlier...I hadn't tried opening a movie file created by my Kodak digital camera--couldn't do it--and its .mov  Supposedly with QuickTime (or QuickTime Alternative) installed it shouldn't have a problem, but it did.  That's the only thing I'd be using that makes such files (I don't like Quicktime files), so that knocks GOM down from before, and I'll probably uninstall it shortly.  Such a shame.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Looks like I have no reason to switch from my VLC / Winamp combo just yet. B)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I use something that came with quicktime alternate, forgot what it's called, but it can play may formats of files.  I've been using it for a few years or so.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I'm not a fan of the player.  It uses up more resources than VLC and media player classic and you can't just double-click the screen to make it full screen.  Also, taking snapshots is a pain in the butt.  It will play almost anything though and I'm going to use in on all my main computers, though not as my primary player. :p Maybe after a few updates, they'll make it better.